NEW Multimode Freelight with constant on etc. etc.

Empath

Flashaholic
Re: NEW Multimode Freelight Shipping

If I remember correctly, one of the big selling point of the original was that it contained a rechargeable lithium-ion cell. That is indeed a great feature in itself. My new version doesn't mention that fact though. Has anyone seen a reference to it in the new Freelight?

shrap

Enlightened

I think it's assumed it has a rechargable battery; it would be kind of silly to think otherwise.

Empath

Flashaholic

Well yes, that's assummed. A lithium-ion is not JUST a rechargeable battery though.

JJHitt

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]

btw, solar??? a solar driven flashlight? you've started using flashlights in broad daylight? i know you are serious flashaholics, but has it really gone that far? explain!

[/ QUOTE ]

NO... the solar powered candle is going too far, THIS is moderation.

arab

Enlightened

Check out the full battery specs at Panasonics Web Site. For those that are not satisfied by the detail there, there are also a number of PDF's that can be downloaded from the same location.

Does anybody know which of the listed batteries on this page is used? There is a huge difference in the Nominal Capacity (mAh) quoted for the different types: varying from 1.5 to 100 mAh. Just bear in mind a AAA battery would have more than 10 times the capacity of the biggest battery here!

Oh - and Kimchikungfu, now that you have done your required background reading and to show that I am really a helpful guy, check out the following:

Specs for old model:
o Manufacturer: AVEXA AG, CH-9630 Wattwil, Switzerland. Phone + 41 71 988 41 22, fax +41 71 988 41 24
o Email [email protected] . Basic (!) web site available at http://www.avexa.ch
o Product name: Free Light Solar Flashlight
o Size: 5.5 x 3 x 0.9 mm
o price: SFr 31 -> about $19.40
o lithium solar rechargeable cells, overcharge protected
o the lithium cell is a Panasonic Vanadium Lithium cell which can be recharged up to 1000 times (This, from Panasonic's own web site is different from the 10,000 often quoted)
o Free Light uses a DC/DC converter
o glass solar panel
o 5mm Nichia R Rank LED (4800 - 5600 - 6800 mcd at If=20mA) driven with max.30mA.
o runtime fully charged more than 2 hours
o one day sunlight for a full recharge
o momentary push button switch
o Free Light is waterproof to international standard IP68 (not only water resistant)
o all components are high quality industry standard

If you are still hungry for more information, check out Craig's review on TPZ

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I just got a small packet from Switzerland, and inside is a new-style multimode Free Light!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If what it says on the packing slip is any indication, I need to get that up on my website as soon as I can. So I guess that means the Arc CPF and some other lights in the queue take a back seat to the new and improved Free Light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

arab

Enlightened

Can't wait to see it Craig!

I've just reread your test on the original Freelight and am just wondering what happened to it - did you ever get to answer the question you posed yourself in terms of it being recharged by non-direct daylight?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
arab said:
Can't wait to see it Craig!

I've just reread your test on the original Freelight and am just wondering what happened to it - did you ever get to answer the question you posed yourself in terms of it being recharged by non-direct daylight?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm working on the new Free Light page right now; might have something up later this evening or tomorrow.

As far as my original goes, it was tied to part of my EDC bag all winter and most of this spring, and I was "away" from late September last year to early/mid January this year, and it never got used OR exposed to light during that time.
I took it off the bag just today, so I could compare it with my new one, and it's just as bright now as it was last September. Granted, it's probably gotten *some* sun exposure between mid-January and now, but certainly not a whole lot.

As far as scientific test results go regarding this, I don't have them to offer.

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened

Thanks arab! Thanks Craig! And moderate thanks to JJHitt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Many thanks Craig. I have been wondering about this light. You've answered my questions and a bunch more.

rodmeister

Enlightened

I'm picking up some for myself and as gifts. This is the light Tom Hanks needed in "Cast Away," since it doesn't require batteries; it would last up to five years or so; and he could illuminate his little cave and light the picture of his girlfriend.

Latest posts