NEW PD30 R2!!!!

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys like me...(heavy sigh). That's OK, I still love it. Now I want the new one though!

Yea :mecry:
Still even if you have had one for a while it can feel a bit crummy when you want the new one. It depeneds on what kind of buyer you are, a "must get this new light" or "I need a light to see, ah this will do". In the case of the latter, they typically dont care about better lights beacuse they have "a light" that does what they need. However us people who buy them because they are new, maybe new design/technology etc, we always want the new thing. Regardless, I am looking forward to the new PD30+ and in time if they make one, i want a PD20+ too!. But i would love to wait on the PD20+ until it has the XP-G or what ever led.

strinq

Enlightened
Strangely doesn't seem that attractive to me.
My current PD30 is serving me well and the extra lumens would be barely noticeable.
Would rather wait for the newer emitters.
Anyways 2 lights on the way is enough for now...i hope...
:naughty:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks good to me. I have always disliked Fenix's design due to the lack of knurling but this looks promising though. The only Fenix I owned is the TA21 which I hardly used ever since I got the SF LX2. Now this comes along with new promises.

Btw, nowhere was it stated if it is capable of taking rechargeables. Is it possible to use rechargeables in it?

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks good to me. I have always disliked Fenix's design due to the lack of knurling but this looks promising though. The only Fenix I owned is the TA21 which I hardly used ever since I got the SF LX2. Now this comes along with new promises.

Btw, nowhere was it stated if it is capable of taking rechargeables. Is it possible to use rechargeables in it?

I see no reason why, i have used AW RCR in my P3D CE P3D Q5 PD30, so i dont see why PD30+ would be any different

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I ordered a PD30+ with the OD finish from Fenix Outfitters, I think they got them in yesterday afternoon. It shipped today so hopefully I get a good OD color and led tint this is new territory for me and PD30 with a R2, in the past I have always gotten the same beam tint with the Q5(PD30), it never seemed I had to worry about the led lottery with the PD30 unlike the P3D.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well my package came for Fenix Outfitters very quickly and boy was I excited but after I opened the package and found the "older" version PD30 OD finish my heart sank. I had a feeling this would happen.

I e-mailed Fenix Outfitters about the mix up and apparently their is no OD finish with the new PD30+(again I had a feeling). Here is a quote from the e-mail they sent me back.

" I apologize for the mix up. The New PD30 does not come in OD"

I'm still not sure why they give the option to order the PD30+ OD Finish on there website. They was however really apologetic and offer to send the black PD30+ throw in some goodies after I send it back and also refund my return shipping cost. Their customer service seems top notch but i wish they would remove the option to buy a OD finish PD30+ from their site because all you will get is the older PD30. I wanted to let you guys know before you get disappointed like me.

Here is a link to the PD30+ from Fenix Outfitters showing the OD finish still available, even though their is no such finish.
http://www.fenixoutfitters.com/fenix-pd30-with-clip-184

Well I will send this one back Monday and in the mean time I went ahead and ordered another PD30+ from 4sevens that should be here Monday. I just could not wait for mine to get back to Fenix Outfitters and then the proper light sent back to me.

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just placed my order for the "+"

I liked my first PD30...and now Fenix has become my favorite flashlight company...(from someone who has bought over 12 SF lights) I really started liking them ever since the great T1 came out. All of my Fenix lights since the (and including) the T1- TK20, TK40, TK30, TK-12, TA21 have had great regulation, smooth switch operation and nice threads, good to great beams (including tints)...and (very important to me) unlike some of my SF lights...they have not taken on water when submerged.

I will try to post some pics/beamshots when I get it.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got one just awhile ago and have not had much time to play with it.

First impressions is I am impressed, the reflector is a new design a hybrid of smooth and OP which does produce a almost clover shaped cree ring instead of the typical cirlce rings. Looks very strange at first but the clover pattern is only noticeable at close distant. Comparing it to my PD30 on wall it looks as though the new one will out throw the old one with the same wide flood to boot.

The tint is the biggest surprise especially from a Fenix because the tint is on the warmer side rather than cool. It's rather neutral to my eye's.

The pocket clip is their and also well made seems nice and sturdy but I took it off quick since I holster carry.

Another surprise and a good one is the anti-roll lugs are much larger providing more surface to grab making one handed twist for turbo alot more easy. Its nice to have knurling on the battery tube for sure and with the pocket clip off it leaves just enough space for a great cigar grip hold. Oh I almost forgot the threads are now nice and square, about time huh and very nice. The light overall feels even more sturdy and tougher then before. Its a fine utility light begging to be used and used often.

My conclusion after owning many P3D/PD30 this is the finest of the bunch and if you was holding out for more knurling or a pocket clip this one may be the one for you.

Now It's just time to wait until tonight.

Ferry

Newly Enlightened
Fenix tint lottery seems to be worse this days.. :shakehead I got greenish tint R2 :faint:
And one more things, thread is not compatible with PEU tactical body (3xRCR123 = 2x17500, neither 2xRCR123).

So I think, I will throw it at marketplace shortly :sick: :mecry:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix tint lottery seems to be worse this days.. :shakehead I got greenish tint R2 :faint:
And one more things, thread is not compatible with PEU tactical body (3xRCR123 = 2x17500, neither 2xRCR123).

So I think, I will throw it at marketplace shortly :sick: :mecry:

That sucks about your tint, mine is easily the best looking R2 I own.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I just placed my order for the "+"

I liked my first PD30...and now Fenix has become my favorite flashlight company...(from someone who has bought over 12 SF lights) I really started liking them ever since the great T1 came out. All of my Fenix lights since the (and including) the T1- TK20, TK40, TK30, TK-12, TA21 have had great regulation, smooth switch operation and nice threads, good to great beams (including tints)...and (very important to me) unlike some of my SF lights...they have not taken on water when submerged.

I will try to post some pics/beamshots when I get it.

I'll be looking forward to the beamshots.

Screehopper

Enlightened
Yes its a good step forward in the PD30 lineup. What did your new PD30+ replace as your EDC?

The PD30+ replaces my very well used Surefire E2e-HA. The PD30+ and E2e-HA are basically the same size in length and in diameter (body). The only difference is that the bezel of the Surefire is about a 1/4" bigger. But the bright light output of the Fenix reveals that the smaller bezel size does not affect it.

The PD30+ is the perfect size to me for clip-in-the-pocket carry.

Screehopper

Enlightened
Design looks better than original(slippery) P3D-but I will buy one when they put a XP-G in there.

I'm a sceptic - I'm guessing Fenix is waiting for the emitters to get cheaper :p

I see nothing wrong with staying "one generation behind", if it can keep manufacturing costs down and the cost of the product to the consumer at reasonable levels, I'm all for it.

Similar with computer products. I don't buy the latest and greatest computer (Intel has 8-core processers now), but in the same token, I don't buy the bottom of the barrel model either.

gamehawker

Newly Enlightened
Woo Hoo!

I just ordered one of these with a flip up diffuser for it too!

I also ordered a 12 pack of of Surefire CR123s.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woo Hoo!

I just ordered one of these with an AD401 flip up diffuser for it!

I also ordered a 12 pack of of Surefire CR123s.

Enjoy, those 12 Surefire's should last you awhile. That's one of my favorite thing's about the PD30, it always starts on low and I can usually complete my task with the low or medium so battery's last forever.

That low seems so much brighter when it comes on in dark but if I use a different light like the Eagletac P20C2 and start out in general mode around 55 lumens and then try and go to low mode my night vision is gone and the low just doesn't cut it so I stay in general mode.