New Solar powered l.e.d. flashlight at Costco

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been through a similar light like this, it was a chinese model and had an .5w generic led in it. It will charge easily with the sun, but it only hold a relatively small amount of power because it uses small button cells. The runtime was about 30 minutes and it dimmed fast.

If the light was inteded for emergency use as it is always charged, I don't think 10 lumens will be anywhere enough for the case.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
10 lumens does not sound all that bad. My little E01 goes a long way in the dark woods and it is a bit less than 10 lumens I think. I have a packable Solar AA/AAA charger so don't need a solar only light. But have seen these around more and more.

pee10755

Newly Enlightened
I think these are a good idea. I live in florida and we have experienced power outages for over a week when hurricanes cross the state. I have a freeplay solar/crank powered radio that I used during the storms. During the day leave the radio in the sun and it works great.

10 lumens of light is very helpful when you are are trying to make food, let the dog out, provide first aid or navigate your powerless house. When we had hurricane Charlie hit our county I was without power for 8 days. I used all the alkalines in storage and some of my CR123's. I am going to pick up a set of these at my local Costco tomorrow. I saw them last week and noticed they were a reasonable price. I was preoccupied and didn't really look at them. You could leave these outside during the day and have a survival light at night. I like SgtLED's idea for a camp emergency light. For the low costco price you can't go wrong. Light is like clean water. You take it for granted until it's gone.

Last edited:

laorulez

Newly Enlightened
Do you remember that joke we used to tell back in the 80's in elementary school? "So-and-so is so dumb, he bought a solar powered flashlight."

This joke was assuming there would be no batteries being charged I guess...

bobski

Newly Enlightened
Looks fairly mod-able to me. The head unscrews and electronics tray just pulls out. The reflector is pretty low quality (bright lights can be seen through it), but the LED isn't exactly of fire-lighting output, so it's fine. The battery pack is a pair of AAA-size cells shrink-wrapped together, the circuit board has the pack's wires marked as 2.4V, so they're either NiCD or NiMH. There appears to be enough space in the body for a second battery pack, if someone felt inclined to install one. The body is made out of not-quite-opaque plastic. Solid feeling, but I wouldn't try backing over it with a car or using it as a hammer or anything.
solarLightOpen.jpg

solarLightCircboard.jpg

solarLightEmitter.jpg

10 lumens is probably about right... The solar light's output (right) compared to a Fenix E01 (left):
solarLightVsE01.jpg

Last edited:

neoseikan

Enlightened
Hi. Good job.
I have a question. Is there a second LED on the board? If so, why?

Cydonia

Enlightened
Looks like there are 3 other LED's on the board used as mode/charge indicators. Put a good Nichia DS main led in there... some AA Eneloops shrink wrapped up... replace the 2032's with Cr123A's (seems like plenty of room in there)... use clear silicone sealant on the plastic chassis seams :devil:

bobski

Newly Enlightened
A little update... I've been taking a closer look at the light's innards.

The switch is a 3-way clickie, rather than a digital switch. It has 5 contacts, but only 4 of them are used. In the off position, there's no connections. In the two on positions, it makes connections between diagonally opposite contacts. The 5th, unused contact seems to be connected to which ever pair of contacts is active.

The lithium backup circuit is a simple series circuit using a current limiting resistor. I read 42 mA at the tail cap, and 3.2 volts across the emitter which means it's dissipating a little over 1/8 of a watt. The "1 watt LED" claimed on the packaging is off by close to an order of magnitude. Even if you include power lost across the resistor, it's only 1/4 of a watt. :thumbsdow

The rechargeable boost circuit looks fairly simple, though I haven't traced it. By process of elimination, it appears to use a transistor (or some similar looking 3-lead surface-mount component), an inductor, a capacitor, three diodes and a resistor or two.

The solar panel hooks up to the light's common ground contact, to the rechargeable battery's positive line via an anti-drainback diode and to the charge indicator via a resistor. The negative contact of the indicator and battery both connect to common ground, so there's another simple-as-it-gets circuit.

Looks like there are 3 other LED's on the board used as mode/charge indicators.
Yep... little 3 mm units. One amber, one red, one green. I'm tempted to switch the amber (currently indicating that it's using solar power) and green (indicating it's using lithium backup power) around so they better indicate the free-power vs. expensive-power distinction.

some AA Eneloops shrink wrapped up... replace the 2032's with Cr123A's (seems like plenty of room in there)
I don't think you could fit a pair of AAs in this chassis. Maybe if you lined them up end to end, but not side by side like the existing AAAs. You might be able to fit a single '123 in the carrier under the circuit board... they're too fat to fit anywhere else.

use clear silicone sealant on the plastic chassis seams :devil:
Actually, this thing looks pretty water-tight. The body is solidly molded... The lines that look like seams down the side are just artifacts of the molding process. The clickie button rubber is glued down and the end caps are o-ring sealed. The only places that might have issues are the window plastic for the indicator LEDs and for the solar cells, though the big window looks pretty well sealed up. The indicator windows are probably similarly sealed, but I can't get a clear view inside the body tube.

Last edited:

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
If these batteries are NiMH or NiCd, how would they be able to maintain a charge for three years? The self discharge would bring them down to nothing much sooner than that. I figured they were some kind of lithium battery, but maybe the three years was referring to keeping it charged up with the solar panel rather than in the dark.
I left it on after giving a full charge, and the output was stable for at least two hours.

I sent an email to the company to see if they knew what kind of rechargeable battery they were using, but they never responded-

I put a separator in the backup battery compartment so that those batteries won't be used unless I need them. Figured it'd be no big deal to unscrew the cap and pull the separator out if the rechargeables went dead.

mitchfried

Newly Enlightened
I bought a set of these at Costco today, in Altamonte Springs, Florida. I also had my Costco eyeglasses adjusted, but I can't locate the back up batteries. Where the heck are the CR2032's?

Last edited:

s.c.

Newly Enlightened
I bought a set of these at Costco today, in Altamonte Springs, Florida. I also had my Costco eyeglasses adjusted, but I can't locate the back up batteries. Where the heck are the CR2032's?

they're in the tailcap. I put a piece of heavy stock paper in there so they wouldn't be used up until I need them.

camperator5

Newly Enlightened
I got one of these as a father's day gift this year. I liked it so much (light weight, definitely bright enough for spot lighting, charge light actually comes on when it's near interior electric lights, backup batteries are nice and small for storing extras) that I bought another one.

Like kramer5150 said, putting it in a window sill makes it super easy to recharge it.

Gatsby

Enlightened
My wife gave my son and I one of these each for Christmas. For kids, he uses the solar batteries almost exclusively and it is a pretty cool light as he won't burn through AAA or AA cells quite as easily. He loves it and I have mine on my nightstand as a backup light. For what it is I am actually pretty impressed with the beam and operation of it. Given a choice of my Novatac versus this, well, I'd obviously choose my Novatac but it does serve as a nice backup light and I'm planning on taking it camping as well for a utility light.