New Thrunite Ti

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mean to split hairs but you're using semantics to prove a point, a few seconds between mode switching is not mode memory, and I believe it is misleading to those who may want to buy this light but dismiss it due to posts like yours making claims of memory.

No, I'm not trying to prove a point. I am trying to ensure people have an accurate picture. There are lights that, when turned off, ALWAYS come on in a given mode. This is not one of them. Your post does a good job of explaining it, so I appreciate the clarification, but I do think the (albeit short term) memory is a useful thing to know about, and claiming is does not have mode memory is just as "misleading" as saying it does, without explanation.

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunite have been quite open about the type of short-term memory that this light possesses. They explicitly state that the last mode used is only memorised for between 2 - 10 seconds of when it was last turned on. If there is a delay of more than 10 seconds, then the level will revert back to Firefly.

So, I'm not sure why there are claims of deception. I can't see any deception at all.

Many people prefer no memory at all for AAA lights as the Firefly level is really useful for many low-level illumination tasks. However if the high level is used in bursts to prevent over-heating, then it could be quite useful to have have it come on again within 10 seconds. So it seems quite a sensible UI to me.

+1, agree completely. I really like this little light, and I'm not generally a fan of AAA lights, so that means something.

joxa80

Newly Enlightened
just order it from thrunite store along with a tn36 cant wait to have then in hand.new to the forum and happy to be here with all of you.

Dutcheee

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for trying out the 10440 guys. I threw in an efest fully charged (4.2V) today and it rocks!
Big WOW factor for such a tiny light!
Moonlight is brighter as well, about as bright as the i3S on low on NiMh eneloop (.5 lumen?)
I actually like it this way.

Below a beamshot, both lights on high with efest 10440.
Left Thrunite Ti, Right i3S
l46VGcvEH7GRZaXwbxgihTK42jzgpxeVDJktCT8BswE=w1632-h916-p-no

The hotspot seems to me as bright as on the i3S, but way more spill and bigger hotspot. I did a light measurement on my Note 4 with a simple app from 50cm distance. Both showed an initial peak of about 18.000 lux. So the thrunite should give off way more lumen. Really lights up the whole room.
Left graph peak = i3S, right = thrunite ti
4DKdaNk2M_M--5BM-jVwo32PENO_LQlyCg8FrcsxqMc=w464-h828-p-no

The i3S has been surpassed in every aspect IMO. I really like the new light! Let's hope it'll keep going on 10440's.

I glued a 5x1mm magnet on the tail, but that won't keep the light hanging at a 90 degree angle. Will try a 12.5x1mm once it arrives in the mail.

Will use it on a regular basis with 10440 for sure!

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the beam shot. The big hot spot would be great for my use. If either the medium is higher or the high is lower, I would buy two. I frequently use my lights for an hour for more at a time at around 40-60lm. The mode spacings of this light just won't work for me. The i3s has the mode spacings nearly ideal for my use, but the beam and tint suck.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Got mine in the mail from Amazon, nice little light. The tint is good, I like the moonlight mode, machining seems very good. An actual splitring would be nice, but I'm splitting hairs. There are plenty of Fauxtons here to donate splitrings... :) Nicely done, Thrunite!

Raven-burg

Newly Enlightened
Good to hear Scout. Have you checked under the foam packaging? Mine had a keychain ring + o rings. Nearly missed them.
Some flashaholic I am!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Ravenburg- I was joking about the squeeze-it-together triangle that I promptly binned... :) O-rings and keychains were kept though. :) Thanks for the reminder to look under the foam though! My wife liked the tins, and kept both.

Raven-burg

Newly Enlightened
Doh!
The tin is rather nice! A nice touch!
My last 2 purchased lights have been Thrunite's. T10S which I love, also had a good tin! (Has a real memory mode too ha ha!).
They are priced really well. Not quite sure how they do it!
Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Dutcheee

Newly Enlightened
I just did some runtime tests on efest 10440's.

Runtime on Medium was 45 minutes. Battery drained from 4.2V down to 2.5V when it was noticably dimming.
After about ten minutes continuously burning and cooling it with my hand, the whole light was getting very warm and I cooled it in water.

Runtime on High was 18 minutes down to 2.5V. At the end a small flickering was shortly noticeable a few times.(PWM?) It did slowly dim down though, so no sudden stop. I didn't want to completely drain the 10440 so I turned it off rather quickly after I noticed the dimming and flicker.
-YIWvphNsDd8XoYuewOI-M6JxiO0oACtdQHhmAiL53k=w464-h828-p-no

And yes, it needed the water after about a minute..

Runtime is about the same as the i3S on 10440, maybe slightly longer.

I cleaned the threads, greased them up with silicone and replaced the rather big stock O-ring with an old spare from my Olight i3S. It twists way smoother now, and is still waterproof.
IMO the stock O-ring on my Ti was oversized.

The only problem I had at some point is that the light didn't turn off again. I had to completely unscrew the head. Also to switch modes. I thought I fried it, but it's working without trouble again.

Mine rocks on 10440, but (I think) it will overheat on High when mistreated.

Anybody a clue what the switching problem could be?

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I
The only problem I had at some point is that the light didn't turn off again. I had to completely unscrew the head. Also to switch modes. I thought I fried it, but it's working without trouble again.

Anybody a clue what the switching problem could be?

This happens when something on the circuit board touches the side of the head. If you look in the head of the light, a small piece of metallic debris can short the switch (light body to circuit board), by bridging the tiny gap in the head. Not uncommon with this type of light. Just clean the head out with a qtip and have a close look.

eala

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine tonight and must say I am impressed like most other people here. Tint is very nice. Beam profile is acceptable. Output is impressive. I like the UI. I like the hidden strobe too (as somebody who bikes).

Fit and finish is impressive in such a small CHEAP light. Threads are buttery on mine.

Can't go wrong here.

eala

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received mine today. I am impressed as well. I dont think you can do much better then this for the price, hell maybe for more(this would be a good deal if it were aluminum).

Awesome light: really low moonlight, super bright high(for AAA), nice finish, nice smooth threads for titanium, decent tint(really nice for this price), nice presentation tin, spare o-ring, pre-greased threads, and super small.

Grab one of these before there gone guys, definitely worth the price imo:thumbsup:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received mine the other day and I'm also impressed. The machining is good and the threads are smooth. I like the floody beam that the XPL provides.

The talk about short term memory reminds me of the talk about the Malkoff MDC. In normal use, the light will turn on to the lowest mode.

CodyCash

Newly Enlightened
For whatever it is worth, last Christmas I ordered a dozen TiS lights, taking advantage of a nice discount on packages of 6 through the Thrunite USA store. Ten of them have been given out. One has broken. To the best of my knowledge, the other 9 are going strong.
Good to know, I've heard some good things about these little lights. Seems that they out shine everything in their class range, especially the Ti limited

OCD

Enlightened
+1 on eala and Tachead's comments. Looks like this will replace both my Maratac AAA ss and my Lumintop Tool I alternate between. I was so excited, I forgot all about the strobe until I read these posts!

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ordered mine last Saturday, and they say I'll get it Friday. I know what to expect function wise, as I already have a Ti3 due to selfbuilt's review. I love it's .04 moonlight mode, and it's beam has more flood than my other AAA - an i3S, and I'm coming to the conclusion that I like flood better. This looks like diamond checkering too, like the Ti3, so that another plus.

amanichen

Enlightened
Received mine yesterday.

Good points:

The machining is nice, and the light is well finished.

XP-L emitter. It's about time that a manufacturer didn't use a XP-G or XP-G2 in a $30 light.

The beam is acceptable for someone who hates cool tints - the hotspot was slightly yellow/green, and the spill was snow white, definitely not "cool" or angry blue.

High is bright

Bad points:

The threads were gritty. Maybe after more lubing and cycles they'll smooth out, but the light was difficult to operate one handed.

Lack of mode between 13 lumens and 160 lumens. Much of my EDC usage is in dark corners of otherwise normally illuminated areas, where it's impossible to have dark adjusted eyes, and 13 lumens is too low for this.

The high of 160 lumens is great for a burst, but the light gets almost too hot to hold after 3 minutes and the runtime is only 1/2 hour, which means any type of extended usage is out of the question, unless you're packing a pocket full of AAAs.

The 2-10 second mode memory is frustrating sometimes. Blasted high a couple of times when I didn't want to.

Having to cycle past moonlight to "low" to get usable light is frustrating. I guess I'm in the M-L-H camp, not the L-M-H camp.

I was hoping the Ti would bump my E05 from my keychain, or allow me to not have to carry a SC52 everywhere, but I sent the light it back for a refund. My SC52 (versatile modes, compact, and very efficient) is staying in my pocket and my E05 is staying on my keychain (no nonsense, turns on with an easy twist, and gives you light immediately).

If the Ti had a true medium mode, and permanent mode memory, I would have kept it. Maybe in another year, after Thrunite is done milking the current Ti/Ti3 design family, we'll see an improved version that makes more sense.

Last edited: