New Zebralight 4 AA Q50!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickBose

Enlightened
Agreed that it's probably decorative. IMHO, the fins actually make the light better looking.
I also wish it has some knurling on the body to improve grip. One good thing is the lack of finger dents (I hate them)

romteb

Enlightened
A side note: on ZL facebook page there are 2 photos of the SC80 as well which is also a very interesting and highly anticipated light - in that it's the first one in the world that can use both AA and 123 batteries without the need of an extender! It uses XP-G and gives 220 lumen for 0.9 hrs but not sure on AA or 123

I'm pretty sure such lights have existed for years, the AKORAY PDC AK-16 being one.

Scubie67

Enlightened
Yessssssss....Finally,looks great. Length on spreadsheet says it was shortened to 3.35 inches

stp

Newly Enlightened
Yessssssss....Finally,looks great. Length on spreadsheet says it was shortened to 3.35 inches

Probably because at the very beginning they were thinking about including usb charger inside.

Last edited:

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
Wow so we finally have a pic!:clap: Now of course comes all the criticism.

In regards to the reflector, I am guessing they are using the same one from the SC600 - they are both the same style with the same XM-L both listed as spot+spill and both about the same size. It would make sense for them to use the same part.

This looks like a great light for a 4xAA. My criticism though is it appears to be more of a 'trendy' design than practical. It would look great sitting on your nightstand or showing to your buddies but to take on an adventure I'm not sure. Doesnt look like there is much there to aid your grip when your hands are sweaty from hiking or whatever, or wet, or icy/snowy gloves, etc. Also still no interchangeable lenses, your stuck to one beam profile unless you DIY something. Also this light looks like it would be a great tailstander - perfect for a lantern/wand/cone/ diffuser to light a whole room or campsite up but I am guessing due to the design there wont ever be such an accessory. Might make a good bike light too but will have to do some modding on the mount.

Now the question is how much can I DIY the features I want? To early to start a mods thread yet? :laughing:

Scubie67

Enlightened
I wish it had some slight knurling on it for grippiness.I imagine it could get slick.I guess you can add some kind of texturing if you need to though,I probably will on mine if it feels too slick.Still I think it will be a great addition to the ZL line

Edit* OP could update Title to read "UPDATED PIC ADDED" to help people know that there is a pic(s) in this thread now

Last edited:

Samy

Enlightened
I am impressed. It looks sleek, professional and as with my SC51, it's a bit ugly in photos but once in your hands it looks very cool and outperforms your expectations. I love my 750lm TK41 but it's too throwy for general use. If the Q50 is fairly floody then it'd be perfect for general use in my backyard. I could keep it in the house for grab and go when my small 1AA lights arent enough and I need 800 lm ;)

If the price is affordable I'm in.

Cheers

romteb

Enlightened
It's interestingly ugly, not sure how comfortable or practical it will be though, i agree that there was probabbly room for a bigger reflector, just a little bit more throw wouldn't hurt.

Now we just need an order link...:whistle:

romteb

Enlightened
bigger reflector usually means deeper reflector, and that means longer flashlight body.....

Yep, that would explain why zebralight first stated that the reflector would be bigger than the SC600 and then stated than the lenght of the light had been reduced, they probably went with the existing SC600 reflector in the end.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
bigger reflector usually means deeper reflector, and that means longer flashlight body.....

Why would bigger have to mean deeper? There is no reason you can't increase the diameter without increasing the depth. It would give you more throw and a larger spill area at the same time.

Anyway, it looks like a great little light. I do question what I would use it for though. I am wondering if it would be too heavy and bulky to EDC (though I do EDC the SC600 from time to time without issue). Clearly it will not have a clip which will also make it hard to EDC. I suppose it will be a great light for projects around the house because it will be very bright and floody. I do really like the look simply because it is something different.

brembo

Enlightened
What?! No anti-roll bezel? Deal breaker.

I see this as being a great 'round the house light. It's going to tailstand like no other, it has a HUGE range of output and is using 4AAs. This light would be the one that lives on top of the fridge and gets used for anything and everything that goes on daily at the house. Everyday use light? If ZL sees fit to embed a few rare-earth magnets into the tail....I'd buy three. This light will be the reason I breakdown and buy eneloops. I don't see much to dislike about it thus far. If it's built like most ZLs it's going to be the last household bang around torch I'll need for a very long time.

P.S. If you are reading this Zebralight, offer this in natural ano, with the slightly matte finish. It'll help grip and it'll look amazing.

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Just like a bloated Xeno Cube. :D.

Ugly or not. That is a fine damn small light that can compete on some heavy hitters.

The bonus, it uses regular AA's. :thumbsup:.

uknewbie

Banned
I know everyone is tripping over each other to say how great it is that it runs on AA's, but bear in mind we do not know yet how it will perform on Alkalines. My guess is badly.

The difference in output between this and the SC600, as I feared, just does not seem great enough. You have a larger, heavier, uglier light for no good reason.

Sure you can buy Lithium primaries, but that will very soon cost much more than just buying an 18650 or two.

I like Zebralight, but I am sorry I just don't get this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts