New Zebralight H31

coors

Enlightened
If the AW 18650-2600mah cell is true to spec., then it may have nearly 5x the output of the AW R123a (listed as 750mah, but really around 550mah), so that would be incredible, runtime-wise! I haven't tried one of the ZL 18650 headlamps, yet, as I thought they might be too heavy/bulky/uncomfortable. Though I know that George would never consider it, a 17500 headlamp would give about 2x the runtimes of the R123a, everything else being equal. That would work, for me! Oh yes, and neutral XPG, please!

In case anyone interested may have missed this, I'll post my H31w/AW-R123a runtimes, again, at the top of this page :)

H1- 49m 57s
H2- 1h 20m 59s
M1- 7h 28m 43s
M2- 11h 18m 53s
L1- 2d 20h 3m 7s
L2- 8d 5h 28m 57s

Last edited:

jellydonut

Enlightened
My H31s just arrived - these things are way cool. So small, yet so much punch!

Should be more versatile than my 'normal' lights for working on stuff.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
okay!

I just ordered one of these from Illumination gear
couldnt hold out for the H61w xpg any longer.
gonna run it on AWrcr123s mostly.
hopefully the beam will be similar to my
quark mini123- assuming it will be!:sssh:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDATE-

just got it and its AWESOME!

wish it would memorize hi setting and Id like the
holder to be a little tighter but the beam is wonderful!

very similar to my quarkmini123.

its my first zebra and the UI was easy to sort out.

Ive got an H51 on the way for my GF and I know its
going to be a bit complicated for her....wish I could just
set it for max and moon only.

I think I might retire my old bike light set up and just use
two of these H31s mounted on a single band.
:thumbsup:

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my H31. Love the form factor, one-handed operation, and UI. But man-oh-man am I dissapointed in output. No way this light is 220 lm OTF. I would guess maybe 120-130 lm. At 1 Meter I get 900 lux. My 4Sevens mini 123 does 2500 with CR123, and 3500 with a 16340. The mini123 is rated at 190 lm by 4sevens. (I've seen 179 OTF measured in sphere) If only there is a way to mod this light for more output. A quarter of the lux of a mini123 just doesn't cut-it for me. Needless to say...I just pre-ordered the Mini123 with S3 LED, giving another 7% gain in output.

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm- something dsnt sound right- my
H31 and H51 are pretty comparable to my
mini123
I use AWRCR123s in mine. I dont have lux meter tho
just going by "real world" in tha wooods ;)

we should get sum zebralights to tiforce or whomever
is doing the spere o truth these days.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
hmm- something dsnt sound right- my
H31 and H51 are pretty comparable to my
mini123
I use AWRCR123s in mine. I dont have lux meter tho
just going by "real world" in tha wooods ;)

we should get sum zebralights to tiforce or whomever
is doing the spere o truth these days.

I agree. I have a H31 and it definitely looks to be getting around 220 lumens.

@ kengps, you have tried replacing the battery, right ?

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
Strange, i've tested the H31 against MiNi 123 and it seems like the H31 is brighter than the 123, but the Mini 123 has better throw. It must be something wrong with your H31, kengps.

apeironian

Newly Enlightened
Isn't it true that the H31 has an enormous hotspot, which will reduce lux readings compared to a tighter beam with equivalent total output?

billbunton

Newly Enlightened
My LX2 is a lot brighter than my H31. But as noted by apeironian the H31 has a larger hotspot, and quite a bit more spill.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's little difference in spot size between the H31 and my mini. I have tried several batteries. I'm gonna put the amp meter on it later today and see what its doing.....

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's showing .65 Amps on high.....Somethings not right. Is there some lower mode programing or something with these. I just quick click and it goes to High. It does have 3 levels.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
It's showing .65 Amps on high.....Somethings not right. Is there some lower mode programing or something with these. I just quick click and it goes to High. It does have 3 levels.

Is that on high1 or high2 ? High2 should be the 220 lumen level.

Correction: High1 is 220lumen and High2 is 120 lumen. High1 is not memorized. So when you scroll through, you will get High2. To get High1 you have to do a double-click.

Last edited:

Ent

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I am a bit confused by getting maximum output. I played with it and had no trouble selecting between the two levels on low and medium with them memorised but on high if I double click it goes into flash mode. If I am reading this thread correctly you can not have the highest output memorised?

So switch on, press and hold until high comes up through the cycle and then I double click and it goes into flash mode. Am I missing something? And yes I have read the destructions and six clicks has me puzzled. Not familiar with click tap dancing of buttons so forgive me if I appear a little slow.

Oh yes, lovely little thing just curious to have it on max or understand if I do have it on max just to see the shock and awe factor.

Cheers

Last edited:

JA(me)S

Enlightened
If I am reading this thread correctly you can not have the highest output memorised? ...Am I missing something?
I believe your H31 is currently set up with H1 (220 Lm) memorized as the default with the strobe accessible via double click.
So, from off:

• Click once= H1 (220 Lm)
  • Once there, double click = toggles back and forth between H1 (220 Lm) and strobe.
Is this how you want it?

- Jas.

Ent

Newly Enlightened
I believe your H31 is currently set up with H1 (220 Lm) memorized as the default with the strobe accessible via double click.
So, from off:

• Click once= H1 (220 Lm)
  • Once there, double click = toggles back and forth between H1 (220 Lm) and strobe.
Is this how you want it?

- Jas.

Hi Jas

Had a play and further read of the destructions. Think I have it mastered. Six click or around that number will turn it into a double click switching between Hi low and Hi Hi or Hi (whatever sub-level memorised) and Hi strobe.

It does memorise the setting used on the Hi so you can set Hi Hi and it will start on that with one short click or Hi Low. Longer click will start on last setting or was it the low setting. Drats single button interfaces are memory challenges. Roll on Jetbeam RTT0 and Surefire Saint's use of rotary dials.

Very impressive power on Hi Hi but as to be expected it will munch a CR123A in about an hour. Curious is it will not start with a flat CR123A but will hang in there if left on. If the battery rests it might restart. The Surefire Saint does much the same but appears to handle a slightly flatter battery. The Jetbeam RTT0 V5 just works and throws out still a very impressive light with a battery that the Saint and H31 have rejected.

All we need is Jetbeam to make headlamps.

Cheers