Newbie - any Zebralight-like packaged products with higher reliability?

Machine154

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm a newbie on the forum, but got here because of a recommendation from a friend that told me about Zebralight and a couple other brands. I saw the Zebralight and was stoked to get one, but now I am a little hesitant if the reliability is questionable. What other products are similar in look and versatility?

Snow

Enlightened
The answer is NADA. The Zebralights pretty much stand alone in design and function. I recently picked up a SureFire Saint and it's great, but way more money. Even though I have had a couple of failures, I will give Zebralight another chance. I would recommend you pick one up and see how it fares for you.

ryan162

Banned
until recently there were only zebralights but ultrafire has cloned the lights so there is in fact two options now.

Ultrafire lights are not know for high quality although they are generally fine or fixable. in this case they will probably have a simular failur rate as Zebra lights. the Ultrafire lights are being discussed here
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/248658

Machine154

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, perhaps I'll go ahead and give them a try. If so, it looks like I need to decide between the H501 and H50-Q5 and also the color temperature. Granted, the W version is warmer than the non-W, but I would still call this cool wouldn't you? Is it worth giving up the lumens to get the warmer color for general use? I expect to use this for electrical work and backpacking/camping.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
until recently there were only zebralights but ultrafire has cloned the lights so there is in fact two options now.

Even though I have had a problem (that hasn't affected normal use), I still reach for a zebralight each and every day when I read in bed. They also go with me caving as backup lights and I don't worry about them as long as I test them before entering the cave.

The recent reliability poll should not scare you away from a truly unique type of headlamp.

Last edited:

Zendude

Enlightened
Even though I have had a problem (that hasn't affected normal use), I still reach for a zebralight each and every day when I read in bed. They also go with me caving as backup lights and I don't worry about them as long as I test them before entering the cave.

The recent reliability poll should not scare you away from a truly unique type of headlamp.

+1

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
heh... i know what you mean.... my PT EOS just now developed one of the feared cracks (i have the OLD model plastic) :(...

I'm pretty much going to risk it with Zebra and hope the dice roll my way... They make the best design as long as it holds together! :D

Machine154

Newly Enlightened
I have ordered the H501 from a vendor in the CPF Marketplace. Thanks for your inputs, all.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good choice I to use a 501 while on laptop and around the house everyday and never had any problems with them. I also have the H60 but sadly it does not get much use since the 501 is plenty bright enough and runs forever on a Nimh AA.

Machine154

Newly Enlightened
I received my H501 yesterday. I love the design, but the operation is unpredictable/unreliable. :thumbsdow The cap must be seated just right and even still it will go into different levels with a single click. Sometimes it goes into high, sometimes medium with one click. I'll keep it, but it may be my last Zebralight.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you mind posting a picture of your new H501? I just want to see if the design is different from mine. You ordered on 12/07/09 and received the light on 12/09/09. That is fast shipping. Who is this vendor? I should definitely buy from them.

Last edited:

Zendude

Enlightened
I received my H501 yesterday. I love the design, but the operation is unpredictable/unreliable. :thumbsdow The cap must be seated just right and even still it will go into different levels with a single click. Sometimes it goes into high, sometimes medium with one click. I'll keep it, but it may be my last Zebralight.

The switching takes a little getting used to. Quick click for high, slightly longer click for low(hold for ~.5 sec), hold to cycle through modes. The tail cap is just a metal to metal contact. Try cleaning bare metal contact points with alcohol.

Machine154

Newly Enlightened
Do you mind posting a picture of your new H501? I just want to see if the design is different from mine. You ordered on 12/07/09 and received the light on 12/09/09. That is fast shipping. Who is this vendor? I should definitely buy from them.

Yes, I certainly can't complain about the vendor. The ordering was easy and shipping was immediate. The vendor is Going Gear.

The design looks identical to the one on their web page. Is there something in particular you are looking for? I was surprised to see that the headband had its own holder. I though the silicone one was supposed to be put on that band itself.

Machine154

Newly Enlightened
I also have a single quick flash a few seconds after turning it off. It seems to have a mind of its own.