Night walking with strong lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

B42

Newly Enlightened
Now that I have some higher powered lights, using/playing with them at night walking my dogs, when I pass one house on my route, I have a Chinese family who goes nuts. They have big windows, and when I go by, the get excited and all come to the windows, put hands to the windows so they can see me better and stare and talk and gesture to each other. I never shine my lights at people intentionally (but with the commotion up there once when I had my head lamp on I did turn and look), but I wanted to make sure that easily excited asian families don't call the cops on me and get me detained for...I don't know what...is there any issue that cops have/law they try to press on people just walking with high powered flashlights? If you aren't shining them at houses and obviously walking dogs, there is no way you can logically think I'm a prowler (prowlers wouldn't use high powered lights walking down the street or have dogs on leash). Where I'm walking by this house its a dark alleyway area. Generally, when I get to a street with some light I'll either lower their output or turn my lights off (unless I'm testing a run time of a light). I'm in the US and where I walk it is a generally more well off area, with very few walkers at the time of night I go out, and except for them, I've never really had any hint of issues. I just dont want some overzealous police officers with nothing better to do get a call from these easily excitable people and try to turn this into some kind of incident. I've had police drive by and see me when I'm waiting to cross or crossing a street and had no issues (it really would be dumb of them to think I'm doing something other than walking my two dogs on leash), but with these people getting excited now and the way cops over react sometimes it got me wondering if there was any issue with it.

markr6

Flashaholic
That's pretty messed up if they have an issue with you walking at night with a flashlight. Not everyone has the convenience of walking during optimum daylight conditions. Maybe they work 2nd shift, are busy with the family, or just like being in the dark when it's quiet. I started going out all the time at dark since I recently got a puppy.

Even though you're not doing anything wrong, I think being out for a reason would generally keep even the most overzealous police away - in this case walking the dogs. Same if you have a camera; you could say "night photography" is a hobby of yours.

I've been keeping my H51w on a medium setting most of the time in the neighborhood just to be polite.

skeeterbait

Newly Enlightened
Alabama has a state law regarding the "casting of a nuisance light from a public road onto real property". it is really designed to control illegal night hunting though. There are some municipalities that also have nuisance light just like nuisance noise ordinances. Check your local laws but unless your shining a very powerful light onto their house directly I can't see anyone taking exception to your walking with a light for navigation.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Try waving to them.

It may be that they are just in awe of your light, and not upset by it. You are a parade past their house, and they get excited when they know you're coming by, etc?

:D

Or they want to eat your dogs, you never know.

Overall, as no cop has had an issue, and no one seems to be calling them on you, it may simply be a non-issue.

herosemblem

Enlightened
Is...there a problem here, OP?
Aside from your description, which itself seems a bit inflammatory and off-base (I could turn the complaint around and call the CPF community a bunch of "easily-scared light-lovers), there doesn't really seem to be any legal wrongdoing on either side, or even any potential wrongdoing on either side.

B42

Newly Enlightened
Is...there a problem here, OP?
Aside from your description, which itself seems a bit inflammatory and off-base (I could turn the complaint around and call the CPF community a bunch of "easily-scared light-lovers), there doesn't really seem to be any legal wrongdoing on either side, or even any potential wrongdoing on either side.

No problem yet! Its neither inflammatory nor off base, I want to avoid problems and would like to know if anyone has had any, or has any advice...if they do call the cops on me. :) I've been the victim of police making up a reason and over reaction in the distant past before (unrelated to this) and I don't want any such animal here so I'm asking...

--> Alabama has a state law regarding the "casting of a nuisance light from a public road onto real property". it is really designed to control illegal night hunting though. There are some municipalities that also have nuisance light just like nuisance noise ordinances. Check your local laws but unless your shining a very powerful light onto their house directly I can't see anyone taking exception to your walking with a light for navigation.

Nope, I am not shining in the house (except for headlamp spill from "what the heck are they doing in their windows" when I had it on).

---> Try waving to them. It may be that they are just in awe of your light, and not upset by it. You are a parade past their house, and they get excited when they know you're coming by, etc?

That could be it too :D But on my return trips shades are all pulled and shut as if they think I'll be watching them.

--> That's pretty messed up if they have an issue with you walking at night with a flashlight. Not everyone has the convenience of walking during optimum daylight conditions. Maybe they work 2nd shift, are busy with the family, or just like being in the dark when it's quiet. I started going out all the time at dark since I recently got a puppy.

Yes I generally have to walk the dogs during night time all the time. I use my big lamps in the forest too when I can, night hikes are fun with powerful lights now. Just in the past I had gone with no light, night vision only, but after I got blinded by someone with a bright light and a dog once (couldnt see his dog but hear it aggressive and mine responding), I decided to get lights too, and then of course I got the brighter is better bug! :)

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're walking your dogs on a leash at night using a flashlight. That's responsible behaviour. You are letting people know well in advance that you are there, and that you are aware of your surroundings.

Now if you're really concerned, pop into the local police station and just have a quick chat to see if they have ever had issues with people using flashlights while walking their dog. Let them know you have some really bright lights and where your usual routes take you.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds to me like you need to buy yourself something far brighter so they can have something to moan about,just give them the one finger salute next time you pass.

Stilt

Newly Enlightened
Now that I have some higher powered lights, using/playing with them at night walking my dogs, when I pass one house on my route, I have a Chinese family who goes nuts. They have big windows, and when I go by, the get excited and all come to the windows, put hands to the windows so they can see me better and stare and talk and gesture to each other. I never shine my lights at people intentionally (but with the commotion up there once when I had my head lamp on I did turn and look), but I wanted to make sure that easily excited asian families don't call the cops on me and get me detained for...I don't know what...is there any issue that cops have/law they try to press on people just walking with high powered flashlights? If you aren't shining them at houses and obviously walking dogs, there is no way you can logically think I'm a prowler (prowlers wouldn't use high powered lights walking down the street or have dogs on leash). Where I'm walking by this house its a dark alleyway area. Generally, when I get to a street with some light I'll either lower their output or turn my lights off (unless I'm testing a run time of a light). I'm in the US and where I walk it is a generally more well off area, with very few walkers at the time of night I go out, and except for them, I've never really had any hint of issues. I just dont want some overzealous police officers with nothing better to do get a call from these easily excitable people and try to turn this into some kind of incident. I've had police drive by and see me when I'm waiting to cross or crossing a street and had no issues (it really would be dumb of them to think I'm doing something other than walking my two dogs on leash), but with these people getting excited now and the way cops over react sometimes it got me wondering if there was any issue with it.
I see no reason to mention their ethnicity. Also, I think you're jumping to conclusions thinking that their talking and "gesturing" to each other indicates that they're pissed about you walking by with a bright light. Maybe they're just impressed by the light.

B42

Newly Enlightened
I see no reason to mention their ethnicity. Also, I think you're jumping to conclusions thinking that their talking and "gesturing" to each other indicates that they're pissed about you walking by with a bright light. Maybe they're just impressed by the light.

Ah, well yes people get sensitive about race I think, and I didnt mean anything by it, but I really don't think mentioning race is bad here. If they were whatever race I'd say it if it adds an information factor, and it does. In this case it adds to my uncertainty: I dont know Chinese language or gestures and Chinese tend to be more subtle about reactions and gestures in my opinion, leading me to believe they may be upset by their reaction. If they were Italians or Irish or British or Mexicans even I'd be more sure of the gestures, but I'd still say it, it adds to visual and information. :) I'd also be more willing to bet those groups I just mentioned would flip me off or open a window and yell at me if they were mad than call police. :D Could very well be the family is impressed with it and want to see me using it when I walk by. I am also using Chinese lights and I really like them myself! I really meant to gather any info on known issues/laws/law enforcement attitudes towards it if any homeowner is calling them in, their reaction and my uncertainty of it is what brought it to mind and I hadn't really thought of it before.

--> Sounds to me like you need to buy yourself something far brighter so they can have something to moan about,just give them the one finger salute next time you pass.

Now since I want no trouble, the light may get brighter but I think I'll try a more peaceful waving ;)

--> Now if you're really concerned, pop into the local police station and just have a quick chat to see if they have ever had issues with people using flashlights while walking their dog. Let them know you have some really bright lights and where your usual routes take you.

Could do that, but they should know me by my dogs by now, plenty of sightings of me and I've called in two robberies, and one lost dog who attached to us over the years on my walks. :) The (hopefully non-) issue *just* started with that house.

Thanks everyone, just wanted to put the question out there, as my lights are indeed getting brighter ;)

arn357

Newly Enlightened
Just introduce yourself and your dog to your Asian neighbor during the day on a weekend. Simple as that.

PANGES

Newly Enlightened
Try waving to them.

It may be that they are just in awe of your light, and not upset by it. You are a parade past their house, and they get excited when they know you're coming by, etc?

Or they want to eat your dogs, you never know.

Overall, as no cop has had an issue, and no one seems to be calling them on you, it may simply be a non-issue.

Wow, that's pretty racist... Kind of surprised to see something like that on this forum.

Stilt

Newly Enlightened

Just introduce yourself and your dog to your Asian neighbor during the day on a weekend. Simple as that.
excellent idea arn357.:thumbsup:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Wow, that's pretty racist... Kind of surprised to see something like that on this forum.

LOL

You watched All in the Family and thought it was a racist show, right?

In case you're too young for that reference....

The POINT was about his mentioning them being Chinese as if it was relevant, etc...I was poking at THAT.

The suggestion to wave at them was more along the lines of introducing himself and starting a relationship with a neighbor, etc.

scout24

Flashaholic
:mad: Not the first time recently that I've been put off by what's passing for humor here. Actually the third. Definitely a change in tone here on CPF. Used to be a place I'd let my kids read with me if they wanted. Not so much now.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
This thread is going nowhere. The reference to the "excited Asian neighbors" is inappropriate, and has proven inflammatory. Leaving out the ethnicity of your neighbors would have been appropriate, and not have caused members to be reactive to your comments. Closing this.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts