Nite Ize drop in module?

europium

Enlightened
New Terralux clicky tailcap from Eliteled.com--anyone try it?

Tail Cap Switch (TCS-1) for Mini Maglite Plus Replacement Lens

TCS-1_package-115x205.jpg

• Never turn the head of your MiniMag again!
  • This unit really fits properly - unlike the competition
  • Give you MiniMag what every flashlight should have -- an on/off switch
  • Keeps your focus in position all the time
  • Flicker mode to signal
  • Reduces reflector wear and tear
  • Rugged and reliable
  • Includes clear replacement lens
TCS-1.jpg

TerraLux TCS-1
On Sale Now: $5.95

Moat

Enlightened
europium -

Yes - I've been using a few of these Terralux tailcap switches for about 9 mos. - they are excellent, a big improvement over a Kroll, IMO. I've never tried a RAM... but have had none of the problems associated with the RAM, using this switch. It has a lighter touch than a Kroll, and is a "reverse clicky". Well built, nicely machined. Red button is soft rubber. Not sure about waterproofness (never tried).

Now that you mention it, I'm somewhat suprised I haven't heard more folks talking about/using these Terralux switches. I'd recommend it, and they're just $3.75 @ Zbattery.com.

Last edited:

jmw19

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of the TCS-1 switches, and to prevent the lights turning on accidentally, I just tighten the flashlight head. Works best with the Nite-Ize, as there's no focus, but the TLE-5 is at it's best a quarter-turn from off.
The TCS is pretty sensitive, though - just resting my thumb on the button is enough to flash the light. I'd really prefer a stiffer spring, but for $5, I'm not complaining.

Jon.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Hey, guys, I was wondering if anybody else had noticed their LED's turning turquoise on the Nite-Ize drop-in?

Last time I used mine (Monday night) it was giving out a relatively bright, white, and smooth beam (new batteries). Yesterday, I let our son take the light with him to daycare. The light must've been on for 24 hours.

This morning I dropped him off and I noticed the LED's were still glowing, but instead of the faint yellowish-white or blueish-white glow that I'm used to seeing in 5mm LED's when the batts are nearly dead, they were glowing a faded shade of green. I'm almost willing to call the glow turquoise. Two of the LED's look slightly greener, and the other one is a bluer shade of turquoise. I was rushing out of the house and didn't have time to try a new set of batteries, but I've never seen 5mm LED's shift their tint like that before. Do your drop-ins do this too?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED wrote: "anybody else had noticed their LED's turning turquoise on the Nite-Ize drop-in?
The light must've been on for 24 hours.
This morning ... the LED's were still glowing, but instead of the faint yellowish-white or blueish-white glow that I'm used to seeing in 5mm LED's when the batts are nearly dead, they were glowing a faded shade of green. I'm almost willing to call the glow turquoise. Two of the LED's look slightly greener, and the other one is a bluer shade of turquoise."

Haven't seen this.

I actually tried driving the Nite-Ize drop-in with a SINGLE alkaline AA just to see - and it worked - but the light given was actually white and surprisingly bright.

I have to find a more depleted battery to see if that makes any difference....

greenLED

Flashaholic
Well, I tried with new batts, and it's white as it should be. Then I tried the "old" set of batteries, and it works just as well. :confused: I have no idea what went wrong (if anything). I didn't get a chance to measure batt V. I left the old batts in there and will see how the thing behaves with time. I did notice that while emitting white light, 2 of the LED's look yellowish (from the side), and the other one is blueish. I'm thinking this may be related to the slight tint differences I saw when the turquoise color showed up.

It'd be interesting to see whether I (or somebody else) can replicate this.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps after being allowed to sit for a while the battery was able to output at a sufficient level to deliver enough current to the light?

greenLED said:
Well, I tried with new batts, and it's white as it should be. Then I tried the "old" set of batteries, and it works just as well. :confused: I have no idea what went wrong (if anything). I didn't get a chance to measure batt V. I left the old batts in there and will see how the thing behaves with time. I did notice that while emitting white light, 2 of the LED's look yellowish (from the side), and the other one is blueish. I'm thinking this may be related to the slight tint differences I saw when the turquoise color showed up.

It'd be interesting to see whether I (or somebody else) can replicate this.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Brighteyez said:
Perhaps after being allowed to sit for a while the battery was able to output at a sufficient level to deliver enough current to the light?
I thought about that, but since I didn't have a DMM reading from yesterday I can't say for sure. I think I'll just leave it on again for an entire day, to see if I can replicate the behavior. Maybe somebody else can sacrifice a set of AA's to see if it's only my drop-in doing this?

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to let you guys know, today i recieved a RED led niteize drop in. Ill post pictures of it later. I ordered it from Quality items online, and they shipped it out after about a month.

-bobby

greenLED

Flashaholic
greenLED said:
...see if I can replicate the behavior....
I put a used set of batts in my minimag to see if that did the trick. At first the light was as bright as ever (?) so I let is sit for a while (couple of hours?) and the LED's did turn turquoise again. Here are some shots I took (the first one shows the much closer to what I'm seeing):

Batts where around 0.8V. Anybody else want to put dead batts and see what color their LED's glow? Even with dead, dead, dead batts, my Inova X5 still glows white and other LED's I have just get dimmer, they don't shift color. :confused:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried a Nite-Ize module in a Mini Mag.

Prior to getting it, I read what seems like every post on the matter.

Observations without much experience (no run time ideas, no drops, just first impressions)

Brighter than I expected. Not in the same category as a 1W or 3W but surprisingly bright, and in total darkness, very bright. Very useful indoors.

No spot. The floodiest LEDs I've ever seen. No way it compete with the old Incan MiniMag throw-wise. BTW, these pics of a lite with the Nite-Ize module shining on the wall - they must be inches from the wall to get that small a spot. Either I did something wrong during my install, or there is another head/reflector involved, but mine is a huge flood and no throw at all.

No problem really.

Useful for reading a book, looking inside a bag, or a computer case, or doing emergency auto repair.

Can it replace MagLED or similar lites? *NO!!*

Nice bonuses:

The lite is noticeably shorter than the MagLED, as everyone knows. It's very compact looking.

Second, it turns on with a very slight twist of the head. The MagLED takes a far longer turn.

Verdit - recommend it.
But only if you spend about $5 and you already have an old Incan Mini Mag laying around. If you have neither, you are better off not getting them and spending a few pennies more and getting the real thing.

I have mine designated as a gift.

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my glow-inc paint today. Just finished some PR2 bulbs, the "3LED" Nite Ize is next! LOTS of space for paint :hooray:

EDIT: UH OH! The paint melted the black plastic in my module. Now it won't turn off until the lens hits the LED's. Well I guess I killed it...

Last edited: