Nitecore D10 / EX10 - Is it what you expected?

Was it what you expected? Either one.

• Total voters

jl.

Newly Enlightened
D10 with GDP.

Firstly, I love the GDP. I know some have said it's not as bright as the Q5 but I love the beam profile, especially since I use it a lot indoors.

I was initially a bit sceptical about the piston drive and after cleaning and relubing with various greases it was still a little inconsistent until I got some deoxit to clean the contacts and some Finish Line wet lube (teflon lubes for bikes) on the o rings and it feels great. Initially I though the oil would be too thin but it seems perfect, not runny at all if you use just enough.

I use it as an EDC and just hope it doesn't need constant maintenance!

Quelalumieresoit

Newly Enlightened
EX10
My first bad experience with a flashlight. It drains the batteries when carried on normal on/off mode.
I'm going to try another Panasonic battery on "Momentary" mode and will probably forget the little thing in a drawer.
I live in BELGIUM, I guess it won't be any warranty here.

Anyway, congratulations for your fantastic Forum. I read it with great pleasure even though this is my first post...

Sorry for the approximate English, I'm frenchspeaker.

Coaster

Newly Enlightened
D10 GDP

I've had a really good experience with this light so far. It's been a EDC light ever since it came in. I really like the ultra low setting with the quick jump to full brightness.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
One quick note - I don't think this info was ever released, the new batches
of the NDI all have the same mechanism as the Smart PD. They just have
different programming. This makes the switching mechanism so much more
reliable! The threads are no longer used for the electrical path (which
sometimes introduce resistance which equals energy loss). The PCB contact
is no longer taking the brunt of the twisting mechanism.

Oh, by the way, the D10 and NDI have the same threading and will actually
work :p The UI is interesting to say the least.
Evidently I just bought one of the older ones because the heads won't interchange. Hoped they would but they're still great as they are.

Only problem is with my NDI which won't ramp and won't operate on the loosened setting. If anyone has any suggestions I'd really like to get this light operating properly. Thanks!

mykhal

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore D10 is now black?

I was liking the grey color of Nitecore models (EX10/D10/NDI), but on some other photos, the color was very dark.. I was even told that they are now made in black. I have ordered D10 a week ago, a new R2 model. If it's going to be black, this would be something I don't expect :(

Last edited:

oldpal

Enlightened
I have had my D10 for about two months now. It is a great light if I use AA primaries or rechargeables. However, it doesn't work worth a hoot with AW 14500 batteries. I am using Eneloops with it now and am very pleased with the light.

I got my EX10 10 days ago. Maybe I am just jinxed with Li-ion batteries, but it wouldn't work properly with AW RCR123s. 4Sevens replaced it with a new one that now works, more or less, with two of the three RCR123s that I have. Switching from max to min is somewhat tricky and the ramping doesn't work much at all, but I'm hoping to get used to its idiosyncrasies. I do think that it is a neat looking light though.

Hugh

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had my D10 for about two months now. It is a great light if I use AA primaries or rechargeables. However, it doesn't work worth a hoot with AW 14500 batteries. I am using Eneloops with it now and am very pleased with the light.

I got my EX10 10 days ago. Maybe I am just jinxed with Li-ion batteries, but it wouldn't work properly with AW RCR123s. 4Sevens replaced it with a new one that now works, more or less, with two of the three RCR123s that I have. Switching from max to min is somewhat tricky and the ramping doesn't work much at all, but I'm hoping to get used to its idiosyncrasies. I do think that it is a neat looking light though.

Hugh

Your spiral compression spring in the bottom of the tube probably has coils that overlap, at the perimeter for sure, and maybe even in the middle.

Spiral compression springs are intended so that the spring is one wire diameter thick when fully compressed. Unfortunately, they add an extra loop at the outside to guarantee a good fit in the tube. This extra wire thickness overlap causes the (+) terminal of the cell to rise too high compared to the edge of the tube. This prevents the tube from fully actuating the mode ring.

I pulled mine and trimmed the last 1/2 off the outside, and centered the middle of the spiral. Works much better with Li-ions. The spring retains in the bottom of the tube just fine. If too much is taken off the perimeter, it probably won't, so trim a little at a time.

Last edited:

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been edc'ing mine for 4 months now and love it........dont have any problems at all with the light so far. I did notice that when i used lith primaries that it would take a bit of a push further into the chamber to activate it, might be because the nimh cells are just a tad bit longer.

Ossa1970

Newly Enlightened
Is it what you expected? So far not yet. I have had my EX10 for three days and so far it has eaten 3 batteries over night. And before you ask no I did not leave it on.

Also maybe I am just spoiled by Surefire and Ra Lights, but after all the hype about how bright it is, I find it almost useless outside. My SF E2l with 30 lumens much brighter. I am not so concerned about the throw, but I use the smaller lights to search buildings, and the EX10 is much to dim for that use.

I realize it was only $60.00 but due to all the raves I also have an extream and D10 coming but now I think I have wasted an additional $150.00. I don't see them performing any better if this is how the EX10 is supposed to work.

Is it me, or is my light not up to par with the rest of the lights? Also I have tried several brands of batteries, SF, Tenergy, Streamlight, and Energizer and I see no difference.

If any one has a solution or explanation please let me know.

Thanks

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought the new D10 R2 to fill the AA niche among my Surefires and Ra and this is exactly what it does, and does it well.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Is it what you expected? So far not yet. I have had my EX10 for three days and so far it has eaten 3 batteries over night. And before you ask no I did not leave it on.

Also maybe I am just spoiled by Surefire and Ra Lights, but after all the hype about how bright it is, I find it almost useless outside. My SF E2l with 30 lumens much brighter. I am not so concerned about the throw, but I use the smaller lights to search buildings, and the EX10 is much to dim for that use.

I realize it was only $60.00 but due to all the raves I also have an extream and D10 coming but now I think I have wasted an additional $150.00. I don't see them performing any better if this is how the EX10 is supposed to work.

Is it me, or is my light not up to par with the rest of the lights? Also I have tried several brands of batteries, SF, Tenergy, Streamlight, and Energizer and I see no difference.

Thanks

How do they compare when used indoors or for short range tasks? The EX10 has a fairly small reflector and the Surefire optics do a much better job of collimating the beam so for mid to long range tasks the E2L will work better but for short range the EX10 should be perceptibly brighter.

The fact that it eats batteries does not sound right. I went for a couple of weeks before I needed to do my first battery change for either the D10 and EX10 and I would use them on the high setting for several minutes at a time. There may be a problem with the light. See this thread: My D10 Eats Batteries!. If you got the light from 4sevens just tell them about the issue and they should fix or replace it right away. They have an excellent reputation for customer service.

I think the larger reflector and higher output on the Extreme will work better for outdoors or mid to long range use compared to the D10 or EX10. :shrug:

oldpal

Enlightened

Thanks

Your EX10 is definitely sick and in need if repair or exchange. The EX10 is a great little light and so is the D10.

Hugh

Ossa1970

Newly Enlightened
Deranged,

Thanks for responding. Here are couple of beam shots the day I got it. Sorry for the location, but its was the only place dark enough. Maybe I expect too much. I will give the battery thing one more night and if it eats another I will call 4sevens. Let me know what you think about the beam shots.

Curtis

Control
IMG_0706-1.jpg

SF Z2L
IMG_0698-1.jpg

Ra Twisty 100%
RaTwisty100.jpg

Ra Twisty Med
IMG_0702.jpg

Ra Twisty 100%
IMG_0705.jpg

Ra Twisty Med
IMG_0703.jpg

NC EX10 100%
IMG_0699.jpg

NC Ex10 100%
IMG_0700.jpg

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Deranged,

Thanks for responding. Here are couple of beam shots the day I got it. Sorry for the location, but its was the only place dark enough. Maybe I expect too much. I will give the battery thing one more night and if it eats another I will call 4sevens. Let me know what you think about the beam shots.

Curtis

That EX10 definitely seems to be way below spec, judging from those beamshots. If the Ra Twisty should be about the same as the Novatac 120P in terms of output then my EX10 can hold its own against my 120P. Have a look at selfbuilt's roundup where he compares several 1xCR123A powered lights and you can see from his beamshots that the EX10 should really be more powerful than what you are seeing:

1xCR123A/RCR Round-up Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, & more - UPDATED!

Add to that the fact that it eats batteries, then I suspect there really is an issue with the EX10 that you got.

I would suggest you contact 4sevens and point them to your post above with the beamshots to show how your EX10 is performing. I expect they will come to the same conclusion (i.e. the light is busted) and will sort out a repair or replacement right away.

litetube

Enlightened
Yep it is definitley sick.

My Ex10 GD is BRIGHTER than my 120T

Get it replaced. 4-Sevens and Ultimate Ti will make it right if that is where you got it dont hesitate. $60 bucks is STILL alot of money for a flashlight and you should be happy NO COMPROMISE!!

Ossa1970

Newly Enlightened
deranged_coder and litetube thank you. Now I know I am not crazy. By the way the mail came and my Extream and D10 came and both are way brighter. The D10 is what I expected from the Ex10.

Thanks again,

Curtis

yowzer

Enlightened
I just got my D10 in the mail 10 minutes ago so I haven't had time to play with it to properly answer the question.

4sevens and USPS kick righteous behind, though. Shipped from Georgia on Friday, received near Seattle on Monday. I ordered a knife last week too from a different retailer and it shipped sooner via UPS and isn't due to get here for a few more days.

I do wish I'd gotten a pocket clip at the same time. I sense a further flashlight purchase from 4sevens soon... one of the 2AA fenixes. And a D10 clip on top.

ja10

Enlightened
I got my EX10 R2 in the mail this evening.

What a great little light! For $60, I am very impressed. The finish, fit between the parts, knurling, and PD action feel top notch. It is definitely up in the range of best lights out there. The only area that the light might be lacking in is beam quality, but it is far from bad, and is perfectly acceptable on a light in this price range.

I will be watching NiteCore closely, and look forward to their future offerings.