Nitecore TM15 @ 2450 lm

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too Expensive. The Sunwayman T60CS is about $215 shipped, with charger. It has 2350-2500 lumens (depending on which reviewer's test is most accurate) and throws much better than the TM11. The T60CS has been measured at 34,100 lux. Spec for new TM15 says 33,000. The TM's are just too large in diameter, and now the TM15 is 1/2 inch longer than T60CS. The 3 battery format is a much better grip size. And 3 batts is enough.

New TM15 throw spec is 363 meters. T60CS is 372.5 meters. So it would appear that Nitecore is aiming for more throwy like the T60CS. They now appear to be identical in Throw and Lumen output. I'll take the smaller and much cheaper Sunwayman.

Last edited:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too Expensive. The Sunwayman T60CS is about $215 shipped, with charger. It has 2350-2500 lumens (depending on which reviewer's test is most accurate) and throws much better than the TM11. The T60CS has been measured at 34,100 lux. Spec for new TM15 says 33,000. The TM's are just too large in diameter, and now the TM15 is 1/2 inch longer than T60CS. The 3 battery format is a much better grip size. And 3 batts is enough.

New TM15 throw spec is 363 meters. T60CS is 372.5 meters. So it would appear that Nitecore is aiming for more throwy like the T60CS. They now appear to be identical in Throw and Lumen output. I'll take the smaller and much cheaper Sunwayman.

Let's assume that the Sunawayman throws further, has (measured) higher lumens output and weighs much less (because of 3 battery format) and has better grip size. Then i still think that the TM15 is more desirable:

+ it comes from the experienced developers of the mature TM11 (3 version iterations)
+ it has better looks imho
+ it has longer runtimes, doesnt it
+ it is brand-new: new stuff is always more desirable than old stuff ;)
+ it can be mounted directly on a gorillapod
+ it is the successor of THE most famous triple XML, the legendary TM11: everybody knows it and everybody wants it.
+ Nitecore is a real manufacturer with owned factories, SWM is a mere designer
+ resale value of the TM15 is higher than the T60CS, i guess

;)

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm,
It comes from Nitecore/Jetbeam. The company that ships first, mods the operation manual to reflect the error, quietly ships version 2,3,etc.
I think its ugly. Looks like a soup can with fins.
I never run my lights anywhere close to empty.
Unless the old stuff is better?
I don't mount my lights on anything.
It is the 4th version in a year? Why is that? Thats a good thing? Same ol Jetbeam method. See my first point above.
Its nitecore/jetbeam. nuff said
Nope. It may resale for more. So the loss will be bigger when you sell it to buy version 6 in a couple of months. :)

Last edited:

pageyjim

Enlightened
I don't have the figures in front of me but the difference between the three and four battery setup is minimal. I have the TM-11 and the TN30 and the difference is not noticeable. For the difference I will take the extra runtime. My only gripe with TM-11 is there should be a lower low mode. Which is improved upon with the TM-15. Personally I still prefer the 2 battery setup of the M3C4 combined with the ring UI.

I was going to purchase the SWM but wanted the charging port problem solved first. They seem a little slow in resolving that issue. I don't want to purchase a $200 light and go searching for a piece of plastic to correct a potential problem.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the figures in front of me but the difference between the three and four battery setup is minimal. I have the TM-11 and the TN30 and the difference is not noticeable. For the difference I will take the extra runtime.

It's not noticeable because the TN30 is as large as the TM11. I'm not sure why it's so big for a 3 cell light. The SWM is much smaller than TN30/TM11.

Last edited:

pageyjim

Enlightened
It's not noticeable because the TN30 is as large as the TM11. I'm not sure why it's so big for a 3 cell light. The SWM is much smaller than TN30/TM11.

Well you've made my problem even worse. I will prob get the SWM when they fix the charging port or I get a good deal on the current version. (Don't ask me why, I don't "need" it lol.) I like the TM-11 because of its floody beam. For a 3 emitter light is is nice up close and far away. It needs a lower low though imo. I like the range of modes on the SWM. Also we are talking about a light that isn't even released yet in the TM-15.

Heck my problem is I can't decide between the TM-20 and the TN-31. I lean towards the TM-20 just for the different emitter I also plan on upgrading my M3C4's with updated heads. I guess the CPF solution is to get the TM-20 and a Saalbender TN-31.

Last edited:

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to purchase the SWM but wanted the charging port problem solved first. They seem a little slow in resolving that issue. I don't want to purchase a $200 light and go searching for a piece of plastic to correct a potential problem.

Until they supply a plug......Easiest way to fix is a small circle of electrical tape on the center post of battery carrier. That isolates the carrier from the outside charger contact. Just reverse the carrier insert direction to charge batteries. Only takes a couple seconds to unscrew the battery tube and reverse it. Then reverse again and screw the head back on after charging is complete. It's still a lot quicker than removing the batteries from the carrier to use a different charger.

duro

Enlightened
I wish Sunwayman, and Nitecore would release a neutral offering to their high powered lights. I know the old tm15 was available in neutral...

taclightning

Newly Enlightened
Let's assume that the Sunawayman throws further, has (measured) higher lumens output and weighs much less (because of 3 battery format) and has better grip size. Then i still think that the TM15 is more desirable:

+ it comes from the experienced developers of the mature TM11 (3 version iterations)
+ it has better looks imho
+ it has longer runtimes, doesnt it
+ it is brand-new: new stuff is always more desirable than old stuff ;)
+ it can be mounted directly on a gorillapod
+ it is the successor of THE most famous triple XML, the legendary TM11: everybody knows it and everybody wants it.
+ Nitecore is a real manufacturer with owned factories, SWM is a mere designer
+ resale value of the TM15 is higher than the T60CS, i guess

;)

The TM's has a beacon light, nuff said :laughing:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
says that his is a pre-production model:

as you will learn, the tripod mount point was an afterthought to the TM15 prototypes and not a serious new feature of this new monster tiny.

try to balance a loaded TM11 or TM15 on your index finger. If the tripod mount point were well-designed, you would be able to balance the light at exactly this point: on the perpendicular of the center of gravity.

However, the TM15 tripod mount point is not on the perpendicular of the TM15's center of gravity. It is way off.

What this means is that, as soon as you mount the TM15 on/at its mount point, the mount point (screw, and screw threads) will be under strain from vertical gravity force (the TM15 is heavy!) plus additional (and "unnecessary") strain by the gravity force's moment. If you try to hold a banana ~horizontal by touching the banana exclusively at 1 extremity and that is with your thumb and index finger of hand1 (and hand2 would be idle), then you'll know what kind of "unnecessary" strain that is for your 2 fingers of hand1.

If the mount point is strong and solid enough, the strain by the torque wouldnt harm the construction. ( well.. it depends on how long and often you use the mount point for serious applications .. duh ) But it will be very awkward and challenging to setup a gorillapod if the TM15 is supposed to illuminate along a fixed direction, e.g. pointing up (~0°), semi up (45°), horizontal (90°), semi down (135°) or down (~180°).

If any cpf reviewer does a VIDEO REVIEW of the TM15, then please comment on and demonstrate the actual practicality of the tripod mount point in detail and full honesty with the help of a standard desktop tripods such as gorillapod, thanks!

Since the tripod mount point is far away from the TM15's center of mass, i fear that this fact leads to many problems, frustration and irritation in real-world practice, especially with joint-ball tripods (gorillapod, gorillapod clones on DX.com).

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't really tell, does the guy say it's tail heavy or nose heavy? I'm hoping the TM15 he has is tail heavy because the then the TM20 will suffer the instability problem a little less because it has a bigger head

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fact that a light like this has a 1/4 inch thread mount so you can put it on a tripod is AWEEEEEESOME. I'm a photographer and I can see so many uses for that :tinfoil:. It's honestly more than I can afford right now for a light (DOH), but it still gives me hope that it's a trend and some of these higher output but larger-stubby lights will continue to have tripod mounting capabilities built right in.

With that on it too and a high quality tripod I could see a light like this being an instant campground illumination tool as well. Talk about serious area lighting outside that collapses down to almost no space in an instant! Wow. But yeah the weight is over a pound with 18650's isn't it? I could see it faring well on a heavy duty Manfrotto like the 055xproB I use, but definitely not for shi**y 20 dollar tripods from Wally Mart.

Craig K

Enlightened
Anyone got the TM15 yet I would love to know how it compares to the TM11?

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the flashlight with the blue blinking switch beacon in the background of the video of post #55 above?

Craig K

Enlightened
What is the flashlight with the blue blinking switch beacon in the background of the video of post #55 above?

I don't think anyone knows? Maybe it is a Nitecore prototype or something?