• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

NOTICE: **HOLD REMOVED **Temporary HOLD on 1x123 lights using the 3S converter

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

Well this just sucks but it is what it is. I recently received a new batch of the 3S converter which I use in the 1x123 lights and have built and shipped some of these out. Unfortunately I have now been informed of two of these lights that developed a blinking problem very shortly after the owner received the light. There was a third light that simply stopped working within minutes of use. All tested fine on the bench for me and apparently started out properly for the owners but quickly proved to be faulty.

I have been using these converters now for a number of years with no issues of significance and the design has not changed. I am sending the faulty light engines to Japan for the converter designer to evaluate and get to the source of the problem. But until this gets sorted out and the problem identified, I can't build and ship more lights using these converters with the real possibility that some of them will prove to be faulty in short order. It is what it is. I just need to find out what it is?!?! :(:hairpull:

If you purchased a light from me in the last month or so, please make sure you give it some use in non critical applications. From what I have gathered on the failed units, they have failed within 5 minutes or so of usage.

So sorry!!!

9-26-15

HOLD REMOVED

Hi guys, I have received some converters back from Japan and can now move forward once again. I am building with the 3S converter. I also feel I need to give a heads up here about a new converter that will be added to the offering at some point next month. This is a converter designed by Rush and similar in features to the one used in the Aqua and Terra lights but designed to fit in the "E" series light engines like this 3S converter.

Last edited:

qmtu

Enlightened
Re: NOTICE: Temporary HOLD on 1x123 lights using the 3S converter

I ordered a Haiku XP-G2 1x123 on August 10, shipped August 14.
I have played with it a lot. No problem.
Is it from the same batch?

McGizmo

Flashaholic

I ordered a Haiku XP-G2 1x123 on August 10, shipped August 14.
I have played with it a lot. No problem.
Is it from the same batch?

I believe your light has a good chance of having a converter from this latest batch. The vast majority I have used have not been reported back to me as having any problems and I had no reason to isolate the new batch from the previous batch or keep track of what went where. I find some comfort in understanding that those three that have failed have done so in a short period of time. It might be viable for me to just extend the bench time testing on new light engines to catch any additional problems but I want to wait and find out what the expert has to suggest before going forward with such a solution.

qmtu

Enlightened

I believe your light has a good chance of having a converter from this latest batch. The vast majority I have used have not been reported back to me as having any problems and I had no reason to isolate the new batch from the previous batch or keep track of what went where. I find some comfort in understanding that those three that have failed have done so in a short period of time. It might be viable for me to just extend the bench time testing on new light engines to catch any additional problems but I want to wait and find out what the expert has to suggest before going forward with such a solution.

In that case, maybe I should get a Haiku AA flashlight, in case my 1x123 one goes out.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D

Things like this happen in any kind of manufacturing, but, for the owner himself to take on, and institute a self imposed recall, rather than a wait and see type of approach, in my mind that shows the ethics Mr. McLeish possesses are far and above some of the best companies in the world.

It demonstrates when you purchase one of his products you get something better than a warranty, you have the full no questions asked backing of the owner. Which in today's business world is simply amazing to me, and some colleagues I showed this to thread to.

Thank you Don, there are not enough businessmen like you in the world. You have gone above and beyond on this.

Really, thanks for the way you take care of your customers and conduct your business.

All the best to you,

NR

Last edited:

qmtu

Enlightened

Any news regarding this hold?
Thanks

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Any news regarding this hold?
Thanks
Unfortunately I am still waiting on some word from the designer in Japan.

EDCbrah

Newly Enlightened

Unfortunately I am still waiting on some word from the designer in Japan.

Can we get put on a waiting list or something for an order? Would you prefer an email? Or would you want us just to wait and see? Hope they figure it out soon!

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Hi guys,
The initial report I get from Japan is that the assembly shop failed to properly solder some of the IC's on some of this latest batch of converters. I have now sent all of the batch I have back to Japan so those that need reworking can be rectified. I expect to get some of these sent back to me as soon as possible but have not received word yet that there are some on the way.

Can we get put on a waiting list or something for an order? Would you prefer an email? Or would you want us just to wait and see? Hope they figure it out soon!

I would likely mess up if I started any sort of waiting list. I prefer to receive an order and get the light built ASAP and off to the customer. The simpler and quicker the process, the more likely I don't screw up. I will definitely post here and modify the status as soon as I can build with the 3S converters again.

So sorry for the inconvenience and trouble here.

minno

Newly Enlightened

Hi...new to the forum (just registered today) and had sent you and order email...then noticed the last updated here after sending you a second email...Anyway, thought I'd check in here as well on progress with the converters. Will email order (sent) suffice? Or will I need to re-order once the issue is resolved? Thx!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: HOLD REMOVED

Hi guys, I have received some converters back from Japan and can now move forward once again. I am building with the 3S converter. I also feel I need to give a heads up here about a new converter that will be added to the offering at some point next month. This is a converter designed by Rush and similar in features to the one used in the Aqua and Terra lights but designed to fit in the "E" series light engines like this 3S converter.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic

....I also feel I need to give a heads up here about a new converter that will be added to the offering at some point next month. This is a converter designed by Rush and similar in features to the one used in the Aqua and Terra lights but designed to fit in the "E" series light engines like this 3S converter.

:eek:oo:

That is major news indeed (!)

Robone

Newly Enlightened

Will this be implemented in the 3s buck/boost converter for 6v LE as well ( now or any definite plans in the future)? I ask because I was about to start my McG journey with a 3v Haiku but might start with a 6v Haiku or Makai UNLESS these will change as well.

qmtu

Enlightened
Do I understand correctly that the new converter will give the same output as the aquamule/aquaram, but in the E series body? What other differences will there be?