Novatac with a different badge. (Cheap for LEO's)

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Cool. I can get one of these from SPA, get the tactical tailcap from Lighthound for 20 bucks, and I'm still ahead. Sweet.

I asked SPA to change mine to the Programmable one.

garence

Newly Enlightened
Cool. I can get one of these from SPA, get the tactical tailcap from Lighthound for 20 bucks, and I'm still ahead. Sweet.
Looks pretty good, though the anodizing won't match.

As far as I can see, on the Novatac website the EDC-120T comes with a tactical switch. SPA Defense offers the tactical model with two switch choices--(R) raised or (F) flat. Clearly the raised means the tactical switch. So, you might be able to have SPA Defense switch the tailcaps for you and save you the $20.

Last edited:

Beastmaster

Enlightened
10 days to 2 weeks for the 120P per Tony. Waaah.

So - the debate is this: Do I really need the 120P? Or will the T do everything I need?

-Steve

garence

Newly Enlightened
10 days to 2 weeks for the 120P per Tony. Waaah.

So - the debate is this: Do I really need the 120P? Or will the T do everything I need?

-Steve
You're in an urgent situation? If not, what's 10 days? If you are, then read up on the differences. It's all up to what your needs are. The T just has the 4 brightness modes preset (instead of allowing the user to change them to different levels). 120lumens max, 3 lumens min and I don't know what the middle ones are (maybe 80 and 40). Some people find the user programming overkill... very few lights have this capability. I think it's a flexibility that is very attractive. That's why I'm getting one and ditching my other fat CR123 lights.

Incidentally, Light Hound sells the Photon Freedom keychain LED light that has variable brightness--start from dim to bright or from bright to dim. It's really nice as the brightness variation is well graded. No memory, though. But the magnetic clip is very useful.
phfmw.jpg

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
What you want to bet that he'll have to order it and will find out they have gone up so he won't be able to sell it for the $120? Just a guess but I find it unlikely the 120P would ever be at that price through a retailer. Please do let us know how it works out though and I hope you are able to get it at that price.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Good point.

The 120T goes from 120 to 10 to 0.3.

The 120P goes from 120 to 30 to 10 to 0.3.

Interesting though - I can't really think of any time I would use anything lower than the 0.3.

-Steve

Last edited:

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Dunno. We'll find out.

What you want to bet that he'll have to order it and will find out they have gone up so he won't be able to sell it for the $120? Just a guess but I find it unlikely the 120P would ever be at that price through a retailer. Please do let us know how it works out though and I hope you are able to get it at that price.

garence

Newly Enlightened
Just goes to show you how much CPF is watched... Tony said they flew off the shelf like mad since yesterday. ;)

Any on-line retailer that accepts and processes payment for an item must procure that item for the price paid if it can be restocked. If there is a price increase during the restocking period, that can't be passed onto the customer who already paid--just new customers. It's possible SPA Defense have a contracted price for up to a certain volume.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Well, I'm still getting mine for the advertised price. So it's worth it.

Just goes to show you how much CPF is watched... Tony said they flew off the shelf like mad since yesterday. ;)

Any on-line retailer that accepts and processes payment for an item must procure that item for the price paid if it can be restocked. If there is a price increase during the restocking period, that can't be passed onto the customer who already paid--just new customers. It's possible SPA Defense have a contracted price for up to a certain volume.

Rat6P

Enlightened
another place selling the 120P for $140
http://www.lapolicegear.com/nofl.html

So apparrently novatac have a new model in the works..........whatever it is.
Just wondering do people think (if/when it comes out)it will result in a price drop in the current range? Or will they stay about the same?
guess it depends a lot on what they are actually bringing out

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just noticed the price in that link is $100. With free shipping. Looks like manufacturing costs have come down.

It makes me wonder about what all the Novatac price raise hubub was about a week or so ago. While good lights, I never imagined they would continue sell at the new raised price of $190 + shipping.

Last edited:

Beastmaster

Enlightened
The 100 dollar unit is the 85 Lumen one. Which still isn't a bad price. 120 Lumens are $140.

-Steve

I just noticed the price in that link is $100. With free shipping. Looks like manufacturing costs have come down.

It makes me wonder about what all the Novatac price raise hubub was about a week or so ago. While good lights, I never imagined they would continue sell at the new raised price of $190 + shipping.

garence

Newly Enlightened
From what I'd read on CPF, the EDC-120 may have been the first flashlight Novatac produced. And based on the frequency of reported problems with the programming, I wouldn't be surprised if Novatac improved the circuitry and then stepped the light up to the next price level. The lights you see discounted are likely from the earlier production runs. Novatac does fill a niche and given their small company size, the price appears reasonable... as to whether it is market competitive, that is another story. I've no idea how well they've been selling the EDC-120.

Anyway, this doesn't make an EDC-120 a bad apple being from an earlier production run. From what I've heard, Novatac has been very good about dealing with any problems--they do get resolved. Who knows--if there indeed have been hardware improvements, maybe they'll swap the circuitry on an older model turned in with problems to bypass future issues--limited lifetime warranty, you know.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I asked about the tan color,"...are there two colored bodies on the SPL-120 model? On the product page (not the order page) it shows two distinctly different colored bodies, one a natural or tan, and the other black."

And here's the response: "That is designed for military orders over 1500 units."
I'm still torn on whether I want a Novatac or if I should wait until spring to see what the SHOT show reveals, and for prices to come down.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Well, NovaTac's in Tucson; I'm in Phoenix. I'm not too worried about warranty service.

I am curious - what levels does this flickering occur? The 120T's that I've played with don't exhibit flickering at 0.33, so does this occur on the 120P below 0.33?

-Steve

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's odd, I wonder if they're all phone orders? Because Beastmaster was order #6 and I was...order #7 =)

We'll see if/when/how soon I get the 120P I requested...