Now I am "really" in trouble ! (many photos: dial-up warning!)

wquiles

Flashaholic
Look what I got now to "play" with in my workshop:

IMG_9035.JPG

IMG_9036.JPG

IMG_9037.JPG

IMG_9038.JPG

IMG_9039.JPG

IMG_9040.JPG

The "stuff" that came with it (of course, not the BM knife!!!):
IMG_9042.JPG

IMG_9043.JPG

IMG_9044.JPG

IMG_9049.JPG

The mini-mill comes bolted to the bottom of the wood crate. Looking at the condition of the machine, I think it was packaged great!!!:
IMG_9047.JPG

:grin2:

Will

Last edited:

sortafast

Enlightened
Re: Now I am "really" in trouble !

nice. have fun cleaning all of that packing grease off, I hate that stuff. Let us know how she works. Hopefully i will be able to take posession of one of them in the next few months.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast

Congrats will. YOU ARE DEFINITELY IN TROUBLE! (with the wife that is :nana: )

Just couple quicky.

1. Remember to rotate the spindle with your right hand while using your left hand to engage the HI/LO gear change.
2. Always lock the head when milling more than 0.005" deep.
3. Purchase some locknuts or nyloc for the handles.

Have fun my friend,
Jonathan

wquiles

Flashaholic

Thank you guys :eek: . More fun times for sure as now with my mini-lathe I can be even more creative :naughty:

Yes, that is the exact same Sieg X2, and yes, I have seen the CNC conversions on it. But I first need to learn how to use a mill before I consider a CNC conversion :D

Will

Nebula

Enlightened

Will - That is a very nice additon to your shop. I know that you will master the thing in no time. Kirk

wquiles

Flashaholic

gadget_lover said:
Hey Will? Any chips yet? How do you like it so far?

:)

Daniel (the "pusher" of toys)
Yes you pusher :rant: :rant: :rant:

All kidding aside, I "do" appreciate very much the help and assistance with the metal working and tools that you and others here in the forum have provided me :rock:

As to chips flying, I have not had time to even clean the machine yet :ohgeez: . I will be buying some WD-40 and rags/paper towels to clean it, adjust it, and then take some light cuts to "feel" my way. Unfortunately I am pretty book this weekend with kiddie activities, so it might be almost two weeks more before I get to play with my new toy :awman:

Will

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast

use some unleaded fuel and a brush to do the cleaning in a ventilated area, its better than kerosene IMHO, then of course relube everything :)

Pablo

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I need to get some kind of small mill again. I had a Benchmaster (circa 1945 production machine), but it didn't fit my needs. Right now I'm hoping to locate a cheap Clausing or Rusnok, or a really cheap deal on a Rong-Fu style mill/drill.

wquiles

Flashaholic

I got a few weeks back an ER40 Collet set for my mini lathe that came with the MT3 collet chuck adapter (that fits my Cummins 7x12), so last night I bought the R8 collet chuck for my new mini-mill - this way I can use the ER40 collets on either machine ;)

Will

wquiles

Flashaholic

OK, I started the "cleaning" process :rock:

I first had to make space in my bench to mount both the mini-lathe and the mini-mill (yes, that is why the bench was made so long - I though maybe "someday" I would get a mini-mill):
IMG_9412.JPG

So I started by disassembling and cleaning the mill:
IMG_9413.JPG

IMG_9414.JPG

IMG_9415.JPG

IMG_9417.JPG

IMG_9418.JPG

IMG_9419.JPG

IMG_9420.JPG

IMG_9421.JPG

IMG_9422.JPG

IMG_9423.JPG

Of course, I will have to re-lube, adjust, and re-assemble at some point, so I am not using the mini-mill just yet!

I am probably going to take advantage of the x-y table being in pieces to lap those surfaces as shown here .

I also went ahead and ordered the following from the LMS:
- Belt Drive Conversion Kit (smooth operation, less noise, no broken gears)
- Air Spring Conversion Kit (gain extra travel on the Z axis and give more support than the factory twist arm thingie)
- Spindle Lock Kit (just for the convenience factor)

Man - I am already spending money and I have not even turn the thing on - is this sad or what? :naughty:

Will

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

OK, so now you have to report back on how many spare parts are left over when you re-assemble it. :)

You make me feel like a slacker. When I got mine I cleaned off the gunk, re-lubed the ways and started making chips. You are doing it RIGHT.

Daniel

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Will, that looks like a messy pain and you must be having a blast!:rock:

Please let us know what you think of your add ons like the Air Spring Conversion kit. Thanks for keeping us posted and all the pics.:)

Ken