Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkayne

Enlightened
Re: Grease for your light

I use this:

Mediawebserver.jpg

3M Silicone Paste (dielectric grease)
A non-melting, water resistant, 100% solids, silicone compound designed to protect surfaces from oxidation. Also used as a general purpose lubricant for brakes (metal to rubber applications); great for O rings and weatherstripping.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use the same silicone grease that I for other similar conditions and it works great.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

There's probably a lot of things that work....but Nyogel is what Surefire uses, so you choose what you want to use.

A $10 tube will likely be all you ever need to buy. I got a 25 gm tube of 759G (it's a clear lube), and have generously coated all threads of all connections of 15 flashlights, and it feels like I still have 3/4 or more of the tube left.

whorton5

Newly Enlightened

Check out the Cheers and Jeers section. I just got a tube of Nye 759 from Lighthound in two days...they rock! And another nice thing...they only charge you for postage. None extra went to "handling". :grin2:

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use Danco Perfect Match silicon grease and it works just as good as the 959

Alloy Addict

Enlightened

I took Peter Gransee's suggestion and bought some RadioShack Multi-Purpose Lube Gel. $1 for a 3 oz. tube that should last me for years considering how little it takes.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

this topic comes up all the time. the answer is .............................................

..MAGNALUBE!!
WORKS PERFECT
on threads and heads not to mention o-rings too. Nothing like it.
It will noe spread when heated, this stuff luges and protects the best. cheao to.
some time ago we had a group buy. all the stuff we went to users. 0 complaints much praise for the stuff. I use if on all of my flashlights which require a smooth action. Works great.
Yaesumofo
http://magnalube.com/

kiwitan

Newly Enlightened
how to apply nyogel?

just got myself a tube of lubricant. How do i apply it to the flashlight?

Around the o-ring and threads. Can i apply to the electrical contacts too?

carrot

Flashaholic
Re: how to apply nyogel?

I wouldn't use it on electrical contacts... someone else might tell you to use ProGold on contacts, but I haven't tried it yet. Nyogel is not bad to get on contacts but I wouldn't intentionally put it there either. I just use a finger after washing my hands or a toothpick. When I first started using the stuff I made the mistake of applying it very liberally, but it seems you only need a thin layer of the stuff.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast

Will show my age now, like the old Brill Creme ads, a little dab will do ya... just spread it thinly on the threads and O rings.

firefly99

Enlightened

Dispense some of the nyogel on the Oring / thread, use a finger to spread it out evenly.

Seem that I myself had apply too much of the nyogel, because I found some of the nyogel on the bottom of the spring and some are flowing into the battery tube. Just wipe away the extra grease with tissue paper.

Timson

Enlightened

I put a line of Nyogel across the entire length of the threaded portion at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions and then srew the cap / head back on ond off a couple of times.

This distributes the lube nice and evenly on the threads and the O'ring and seems to be about the right amount....No excess to wipe away. :)

Tim.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

LOL...I can't believe there is a topic asking how to apply Nyogel to flashlight threads. Someone should have also said to not apply it to your eyes.

:lolsign:

cy

Flashaholic

believe it or not there is actually a method for aplying nyogel 959 if you have a stiff U2 slector ring.

take a toothpick and work nyogel 959 far as possible into space between ring and body. then simply put U2 into pants pocket for a few hours. body's heat will thin nyogel and allow grease to migrate into selector ring.

action should go from stiff into nice and smooth.

Dawg

Enlightened

LuxLuthor said:
LOL...I can't believe there is a topic asking how to apply Nyogel to flashlight threads. Someone should have also said to not apply it to your eyes.

:lolsign:

:goodjob:

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nyogel 779 application tips, please.

I got my nyogel today from Lighthound, and I know I need it, I just don't know how to use it.
I wasn't home when it arrived but my wifes call went like this.. "Honey, your flashlight lubricant came today, I don't know, nor do I want to know what that stuff is for."
Anyhow, any tips on how much of this stuff to use? Until now I have been using a silicone lube from home Depot, now I am playing with the good stuff, I just want to be sure I am doing it right. :)
How much, how often and where?

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Re: Nyogel 779 application tips, please.

First, remove all the old lubricant completely using a cotton swab dabbed in alcohol. Allow a few minutes for the alcohol to evaporate, then apply a VERY light amount of lube to the O-Ring and threads. Remember, less is more. You need just enough to keep the o-ring from tearing and to allow the endcap to screw on easily - but not so much that the lube squeezes out when you tighten the endcap.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nyogel 779 application tips, please.

Ok, easy enough..
I love the way the Mags glide after being lubed... I may just have to upgrade a couple of them..
My Son is usually pretty partial to his 19 LED AAA light, his eyes lit right up when he got his hands on a 2C Mag...

This lube works great in respect to making the mechanical part of this hobby smoother, why it took me so long I just don't know. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.