OK! OK! I will do a 2nd run of M6-R's

MikeF

Enlightened
Hello Jim, I sent an e-mail 10/5 to be included on the list for run 2, but just to be on the safe side, I thought I should post here as well, just in case the e-mail didn't get to you.
Thanks,
Mike

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a number of "notify" emails to which I had not responded with a confirmation email. I took care of that this morning. So if you haven't gotten a response from me, be worried and send me another email.

A reminder: this is just a notify list and not a signup list. There are no spots in line at the moment. The notify list is just a list of people that want a heads up via email so they can have advance notice for when the signup list WILL open.

Which brings me to a possible issue. I said that I would limit the 2nd run to 30 packs. Right now there are 37 people who want to be notified, and presumably a number more who check CPF regularly who do not need an email notification. Thus if interest continues at this level, there will be more than 30 people who want packs. I haven't decided what I will do yet. I could just do first come first serve or I could lift the 30 pack restriciton, or I could do yet another build run. I'll have to think about it. Frankly, I suspect that interest will slack off a bit before Feb. and that a lot of people will get caught up in the latest and greatest this or that, or buy a gun or a knife or a computer instead. So with any luck this may become a non-issue.

In any case, thanks everyone for your enthusiasm and interest! I am truly honored by it.

kukula

Enlightened
Thanks for the email you sent me about "notify". For a while there I was really beginning to worry that you might not have received my email. Eagerly awaiting for the second run. Atm my M6 is sitting in my shelf. I just cant justify using it anymore after running it through 4 sets of CR123s in just a weeks time :sweat:

Chris

MrWonderful1961

Newly Enlightened
js said:
...Thus if interest continues at this level, there will be more than 30 people who want packs...
...Frankly, I suspect that interest will slack off a bit before Feb. and that a lot of people will get caught up in the latest and greatest this or that, or buy a gun or a knife or a computer instead. So with any luck this may become a non-issue.

In any case, thanks everyone for your enthusiasm and interest! I am truly honored by it.
Don't forget about the people that will likely want 2 packs. :whistle:
:thanks: in advance,

Jim

CLHC

Flashaholic
Just in case. . .I emailed on September 28 2005 and received a confirmation from on the 29th. To be on the safe side I'm expressing my interest for the second run—henceforth the posting on this thread.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Hi Jim,

Just sent you an email to add to the list of M6-R system. I was reading all those past threads with pictures of all you have had to go through in making this....WOW! Thanks again!

johns

Newly Enlightened
I may be too late, but I just sent a pm (sorry I didn't notice your email add. till I went back through the thread again) asking to be added to your notify list for the M6-R :) Thank you!

Last edited:

AlanH

Enlightened
Hi Jim,

I also would like to be included in the 2nd run. I've sent an email to the 'notify' list as well.

Regards

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK guys. This is getting CRAZY! CRAZY with a capital "K".

What the heck is going on here?

I've got like 60 people on the notify list already, and more and more people adding their names every week. I'm totally at a loss about what to do regarding the 30 pack limit I mentioned above for the 2nd run.

But in any case, I wanted to reiterate something important: the notify list is NOT a signup list!

It is just a list for people who want to be notified a week or two before the 2nd build run signup thread opens. It does not commit you in any way, nor does it commit me in any way. It's just an informational thing. I will give you a heads up so you can avoid missing the 2nd run signup list.

Because at this point there are far more interested people than the number of packs I am willing to commit to making.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll just raise the price to $350 per pack. That may reduce demand nicely. :devil:

Just kidding. Just kidding. Relax. I won't be making any decisions about these things until AFTER I have recovered from the 1st build run. And seeing as I haven't even FINISHED it--not even halfway yet--that will be no small time from now. Feb 06 is totally unrealistic. I am going to guess at mid 2006, and make no promises. I just promise to do my best, while still maintaining my sanity, sense of humor, and health.

If a year and a half ago someone had told me just how much interest there would end up being in the M6-R, I simply wouldn't have believed them. I would have laughed. I am still having trouble believing it.

And some totally malicious individual has threatened to take his M6-R pack to SHOT show! God help me! I have to call Willie again and ask him just WHY SureFire isn't doing this, and why it takes a bumbling and startlingly slow and unproductive modder like myself to try unsuccessfully to fill the need. WHY? WHY?!?, I ASK!

NextLight

Enlightened
JS, perhaps you SHOULD raise the price some more on the next build, but untill they are available for shipment, it doesn't really matter. You seem to have quite the project load (I am looking at buying some Streamlight upgrade stuff from you, too.) and definately have a winning product with the M6-R.

I need at least 2 packs, preferably 3, and can't really wait to July 2006 for my first one. I am more than willing to assemble my own packs, if I can get the key components you are using. I don't have time in life to re-invent all the pieces in your excellent package, but I own good electronics tools including a Leica Stereo Microscope, and three Metcal soldering stations, and still have good manual electronic assembly skills. My machinist skills are rather modest.

I just bought a Triton charger in anticipation of M6-R packs, and to use with my M*g85 stacks, and 70 some odd Li-Ions I have now. I'm shopping tabbed cells and looking at other regulators for an M6, but it doesn't look like the solid solution you have.

Let me know if I might be of any help.

David

AlanH

Enlightened
js said:
OK guys. This is getting CRAZY! CRAZY with a capital "K".

What the heck is going on here?

[/b]

js,

Sincere apologies if I was the straw that broke the Camels back and gave him the 'hump' !

Was only keen to get notified of the availability of a product that you rightly say Sf should have available anyway.

In future, it will be 'silencio from moi' !

Alan

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might be able to remove some heat from you JS..

See this thread

There is a very good chane that by feb or march i could make a production run of whatever viable solutions for M6 i come up with.. and they will be something like a 10.8V pack that'll run the 1185 or 1331 WA bulb so you don't have to spend so much on SF bulbs... or a 7.2V pack that will have a switch for the HOLA or LOLA..

Whatever solution i come up with it will be geared around making the production as absolutely simple as possible as prirority #1.. so that a single person could make numerous quantities per day.

Obviously there is tremendous demand for 'fixing' the M6 being such an awesome light with such a craptacular powerplant, so once the M6 fix i have is done.. probably mid Jan or something I will of course post a thread, to see how many aren't covered by the M6-R solution that might still need a fix.

I haven't seen the details of the M6-R... guessing it's a 7.2V NiMH pack with an LDO to keep the voltage at 6.1 for hola.. or even more clever.. 7.2V max with 4.9A max current so that you can swap lamps w/o changing any settings... wow that's a cool idea.. that's even better than using a switch.

Not trying to steal any thunder, seriously saying i might be able to help share the load of demand for M6 soluitions that make sense.

-awr

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
andrewwynn said:
I might be able to remove some heat from you JS..

See this thread

There is a very good chane that by feb or march i could make a production run of whatever viable solutions for M6 i come up with.. and they will be something like a 10.8V pack that'll run the 1185 or 1331 WA bulb so you don't have to spend so much on SF bulbs... or a 7.2V pack that will have a switch for the HOLA or LOLA..

Whatever solution i come up with it will be geared around making the production as absolutely simple as possible as prirority #1.. so that a single person could make numerous quantities per day.

Obviously there is tremendous demand for 'fixing' the M6 being such an awesome light with such a craptacular powerplant, so once the M6 fix i have is done.. probably mid Jan or something I will of course post a thread, to see how many aren't covered by the M6-R solution that might still need a fix.

I haven't seen the details of the M6-R... guessing it's a 7.2V NiMH pack with an LDO to keep the voltage at 6.1 for hola.. or even more clever.. 7.2V max with 4.9A max current so that you can swap lamps w/o changing any settings... wow that's a cool idea.. that's even better than using a switch.

Not trying to steal any thunder, seriously saying i might be able to help share the load of demand for M6 soluitions that make sense.

-awr

Andrew,

You are a real character, you know that?

1. The M6 doesn't need any "fixing."

2. The MB20 is NOT "craptacular"! It is a work of art. Everytime I remove it to test one of my M6-R packs, I admire it anew. People who actually NEED an M6 won't care that much about the cost of running it, and having the ability to carry a bunch of fresh 123's with you is a big, big plus for Military and Special Ops, I would guess.

3. The M6-R specs and construction are easily found. Spending a few minutes reading up on them would have been good form before posting to my thread. But cliff notes version = 6.8 volts DC equivalent, 9 cell NiMH power pack.

4. I read with absolute horror your suggestion that the LOTC be modified.

5. The MN21 and MN20 are worth EVERY PENNY. That said, I wish you the best of luck on your drop-in G4 holder with integrated regulator.

Most importantly, I wanted to say to EVERYONE, and especially AllanH, that despite any tongue in cheek comments and any momentary feelings of overwhelmedness, I am deeply honored and thankful for all of the interest in my work on the M6-R. I take the time to correspond with anyone who emails me. NO ONE should feel that they are bothering me or that they need to keep silence or stay out of my hair.

The whole reason I do what I do is for COMMUNITY. So I will be honored to make up more M6-R packs when the 2nd run rolls around.

That said, I am way totally OK with Andrew doing a rechargeable M6 of his own, and totally OK with anyone who wants to buy his stuff intsead of an M6-R pack. Speed is not my number 1 priority, and I'm afraid it shows. LOL.

Quality is my number 1 priority, and customer satisfaction--doing right by people.

Going by the 1st run, I would guess that the 2nd run will not be a quick thing. It will take a while. I hope it will go faster than the 1st run has gone though (so far).

Anyway, I just wanted everyone to know that I am honored to be making up however many M6-R packs are needed. I just will do it at my own speed. I will not compromise quality, and for me, that means I end up being pretty slow. Others don't seem to have this problem. Oh, well. :)

So I guess I will probably handle the 30 pack limit (if it becomes an issue) by doing a 3rd run if demand is still high.

Latest posts