Olight i3E EOS (AAA keychain light) measurements

maukka

Enlightened
The Olight i3E EOS is the smallest light in the Chinese manufacturer's lineup and one of the tiniest lights to use an AAA battery. The IPX8 waterproof flashlight is quite limited in functionality since it only features a single 90 lumen mode. In the package there's an already attached keychain ring and a battery.
E6HKffn.jpg

Eoe8r0S.jpg

VoBZOCr.jpg

0lOPuX7.jpg

AAA Alkaline battery, Olight i3E EOS, DQG Tiny AAA 7, Fenix E05, Rayus C01, Astrolux A01

The emitter is a Philips Luxeon TX that is not very common in keychain lights. The i3E only comes in a cool white variant, but there are several color choices available: black, silver, blue, green, red, purple. The silver one is special, because it has a lumen output of 120 instead of 90. Otherwise it is no different.

The light is made out of aluminum and weight 8 grams without a battery. Dimensions are 61x14 mm. The specs are comparable to the 60 lumen DQG Tiny AAA 7 i tested here.

The i3E EOS also works with a 10440 lithium ion battery, but it gets very hot very fast. After 7 minutes without a fan my LIR 10440 cell had its wrapper shrink and expose the top negative part due to the heat. I didn't measure the temperature at this point and my final runtime test was done with a fan. No damage was done to the light.

With a 10440 cell the light output is staggeringly high, 343 lumens @ 30 seconds compared to 85 lumens with an Eneloop or an alkaline battery. The output decreases rapidly on a 10440 but is superbly regulated on a NiMH.

BADO6AK.jpg

With a fan on temperature on a 10440 peaks at 50°C at 3 minutes. After this the light reaches equilibrium and starts to cool down as the battery voltage goes down. I measured 45°C at 10 minutes.

Beam
xPIg3rg.jpg

Fl74zv0.jpg

The beam has a 21° hotspot, a lower output beam of about 50° and a gradual dim spill to 133°

PWM
There is no PWM.

Measurements

Please note: lumen measurements are only rough estimates
My diy integrating styrofoam box cooler has been calibrated using a Fenix E05 on high with manufacturer's claim of 85 lumens. Verified with an Olight S10 that has been measured with a Labsphere FS2 integrating sphere by valostore.fi. Results may be more inaccurate with especially throwy or floody lights.

For spectral information and CRI calculations I have an X-rite i1Pro spectrophotometer with HCFR for the plot and ArgyllCMS spotread.exe for the data. For runtime tests I use spotread.exe with a custom script and a i1Display Pro because it doesn't require calibration every 30 minutes like the i1Pro.

Explanation of abbreviations
CCT = correlated color temperature, higher temperature means cooler (bluish)
CRI (Ra) = color rendering index consisting of 8 different colors (R1-R8), max value 100
CRI (R9) = color rendering index with deep red, usually difficult for led based light sources, max value 100
TLCI = television lighting consistency index, max value 100
x,y = coordinates on a CIE 1931 chart

Measurement table
nhK4i4e.png

Spectral distribution
4Jg3YLt.png

Runtime
Dt19VX8.png

Eneloop/Alkaline
Lumens @ 0 sec: 86
Lumens @ 30 sec: 85
Lumens @ 0 sec: 390
Lumens @ 30 sec: 343

D81FMUG.jpg

Olight i3E EOS is clearly more efficient than the DQG Tiny AAA 7 when using an Eneloop. With the same battery the Olight offers about 50 % more lumen output (85 vs. 56) and provides nearly as long a runtime to 50 % (1 h 21 min vs. 1 h 28 min). DQG loves 10440s which provide up to 40 % more output until 40 minutes.

To add insult to injurty, the Philips Luxeon TX emitter on the Olight gives a slightly higher CRI than the Cree XP-G2 of the DQG. Tint is very similar, but the spill is a bit more neutral on the Olight. DQG's spill is cooler.

Tint
VeKpR0r.png

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
Thanks for the review.

I like how it can sustain max output on Enloops FOR ~ 1 hour! I also like the compact size[can not even tell its on my [keychain/carabiner]. I am going to have to try it out w/ 10440's!,,,,,,,,,,,,for a few minutes.

EDIT: I hope it will take the:
[h=2]10440 Efest IMR10440 V1 350mAh High Discharge Flat Top [/h]
I just ordered it and then realized no SPRING at the head!

IS YOUR 10440 A FT OR BT BATTERY?

,,,,Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Capolini

Last edited:

1DaveN

Enlightened
Thanks for the great review.

I got one of these, not knowing what usage scenario it works for - I ended up deciding it's a good backup for outdoor use. It's floody and bright, but maybe too bright for indoors. It doesn't matter anyway, since I showed it to my boss and it disappeared into his pocket, along with a brand new Eneloop :)

holygeez03

Enlightened
It's really odd that they differentiated the lumen output with the silver... I would imagine if there is any difference, it is very spread throughout the spill, which is why it's not noticeable.

What could possibly be different inside the silver version? Does the silver conduct better? Or dissipate heat better?

Regardless, I'm very happy with my red version.

Capolini

Banned
30 additional lumens would not be noticeable by eye,,,,put a 10440 in and you will certainly notice the difference! :party:

nhK4i4e.png

Last edited:

Steve Curtis

Newly Enlightened
Regarding if an extra 30 lumens is noticeable. I'd like to think so and Olight are absolutely positive there should be a considerable difference.
the r@d team want the lights back to check them out. I'm being sent two other silvers so do side by since comparison before I return them.

I'll have 7 of these in total, 4 silver and 3 other colours. I'll check for consistency.

Capolini

Banned
I love my PURPLE version and the option[with caution] of using my 10440 which is absolutely noticeable,,,,,,,,,,,,,I only use it for 1 minute bursts here and there. I think I am going to keep the 10440 in there most of the time! :D

EDIT:

I forgot to mention that I have 2 of the Purple ones,,,,,,One will have Enloops and One will have the 10440
It is so much easier to test the brightness of lights when you have 2 of them instead of quickly taking the battery out and trying to remember the brightness of the last one!

Last edited:

lightmyfire13

Enlightened
Bought the purple version for my mum as a replacement for thrunite t1 that dissappeared. ...Unfortunately mum passed away recently now wearing on lanyard ......hard to take off

firsttothescene

Enlightened
Regarding if an extra 30 lumens is noticeable. I'd like to think so and Olight are absolutely positive there should be a considerable difference.
the r@d team want the lights back to check them out. I'm being sent two other silvers so do side by since comparison before I return them.

I'll have 7 of these in total, 4 silver and 3 other colours. I'll check for consistency.
I got a silver on Sunday and am getting 2 purple ones tomorrow. So if they are not noticeably different I should just contact olight?

lightmyfire13

Enlightened
I got a silver on Sunday and am getting 2 purple ones tomorrow. So if they are not noticeably different I should just contact olight?
I've tried the silver vs black and can just about spot the difference. ....If I was buying another I would go for the basic 90 lumens I. e non silver ..

firsttothescene

Enlightened
I am wondering as well what is the difference between the silver and the other colors.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
I did a simple test last night with an EFEST IMR 10440 350mAh. I would say it is a much better and safer battery which gives more output than the LIR 10440.

The test was inside on my loft. 62F/16.6C, NO FAN.

I hung it with the key ring on a post After 3 or 4 minutes it did get hot. However, as soon as I put it in my hand[entire light] the head cooled off within seconds.I did that hold/ hang on post incrementally for 12 minutes. The Voltage was 3.67v after 12 minutes of continuous use.

Then MY SECOND TEST I just held it in my hand for 12 continuous minutes. Every few minutes I would hold the entire light and with in several seconds the head would cool off. The hand is a decent heat sink,especially for such a small light! Again the voltage was 3.67v after 12 minutes.

This is a visual assessment. I DO NOT HAVE THE EQUIPMENT! I did wall shots and lit up the entire room with the Olight S20 AND THIS Olight i3E.

S20 MAX=550 Lumens,,,,,, i3E max w/ LIR 10440 AFTER 30 SEC=343 Lumens[OP'S #].

From a visual perspective I can tell you that the i3E is at least as bright as the S20. In fact the wall shots[center beam intensity]seem to favor the i3E!

MY GUESS IS THAT THE i3E puts out ~ 500/550 Lumens @ 30 seconds!

Most of my lights are modded. So I have a lot of experience with lights that get hot. Once they get hot there is no cooling down the head with your hand for the TK75vn KT, K40vn, TX25vn, ect!

With this smaller light my hand worked as a great heat sink,and when we use these lights they are in our hands,,so that is important!

I certainly am not going to use this for 12 continuous minutes,probably 1 or 2 minute bursts at most. FOR ME, I FEEL CONFIDENT USING THE BATTERY/LIGHT LIKE THAT. I have 2 of these. My key chain light will have the 10440 in it! :thumbsup:

I am NOT promoting anything! I would say for me it can be used safely with a QUALITY 10440 if used properly.:cool:

Last edited: