Olight M20S + AW 2900mAh 18650, does it work?

MechNinja

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, newbie here. About to place an order for an Olight M20S (thanks to the many insightful reviews posted here).

I'm also looking for batteries, specifically 18650 rechargeable batteries. Now from what I have read, AW seems to be the clear winner in terms of quality and customer service; I just have a few questions:

1) What is the maximum mAh the M20S can handle? I noticed the AW 2900mAh seems to be of a different design than the 2600mAh (the 2900 doesn't seem to have the button top)?

2) Since the AW batteries are protected (I'll make sure I get the protected ones), is it essential that I get a charger that also has built-in protecting circuit like the Pila IBCT? Or can I go with something more generic like the WF-139 without sacrificing too much in terms of battery-charging safety?

Thanks everyone in advance; this forum has proven itself to be extremely friendly and helpful. :)

MechNinja

Newly Enlightened
The UltraFire 4000mAh 18650's were the first ones I looked at, but seems like others on this forum do not like the UltraFire for some reason (lower actual capacity than rated, etc.) Otherwise I'd totally go for them.

How is the charger? Does it give any indication when it's done charging?? Thank you for your response!

wfturnerm4

Newly Enlightened
I am not familiar with the higher 4000 mAh batteries, just the 3000 mAh Ultrafire
I have trusted Battery Junction for a couple of years now and they stand behind the Ultrafire batteries, as a brand. I have not had any trouble with them. They last long enough for me, although I seldom run my lights for a hour or longer at the highest setting. Many people here will give their opinions and most are based on their own usage. I chose the Ultrafire protected 3000mAh based on what people had told me on this forum. Go figure ?
There is a battery test section on the forum if you want the real skinny on any and all rechargeable 18650's.
The WF-139 has blinking red lights when batteries (either just one or two) are charging. The lights turn to green when fully charged.
I have put two batteries in the charger at different rates of depletion and they charged up and both lights turned green at their respective times.
I put a larger "+" sign on my charger to immediately know which side is positive. The charger has polarity protection as well.

Last edited:

srfreddy

Enlightened
4000mah? The highest capacity achievable right now is 2900mah, and by a big company like panasonic, and those are expensive.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anything over 3000mAh is a fake, you can expect 2900mAh from Panasonic, Samsung or AW, the rest tops at about 2500mAh. Those 4000 or 3600mAh barely hit 2000mAh in real life.

srfreddy

Enlightened
Panasonic NCR18650, best cells right now. Ten bucks a cell in pack form, 17-20 for a protected one (Used in both AW and Redilast 2900)

MechNinja

Newly Enlightened
wfturnerm4: thanks for the info on the UltraFire and the charger. I will probably end up going with the charger :)

srfreddy and phantom23: there is a few UltraFire 4000mAh batteries floating around the bay, but I was suspicious about those. Thanks for the headsup.

I think I'm going with either Redilast 2900 or AW 2900's, depending on which has a better deal. And from what I have read, the AW 2900 still works with the Olight M20S despite it being a flat top, right?

Thanks!

MechNinja

Newly Enlightened
Update: just scored a NIB Olight M20S S2 (340 lumen version) for a great deal off of the bay, went ahead and ordered 2x Redilast 2900mAh 18650 batteries, and an Ultrafire 139 charger. Thanks for all your input guys. I'm really looking forward to getting all these packages :D

mrlysle

Enlightened
Update: just scored a NIB Olight M20S S2 (340 lumen version) for a great deal off of the bay, went ahead and ordered 2x Redilast 2900mAh 18650 batteries, and an Ultrafire 139 charger. Thanks for all your input guys. I'm really looking forward to getting all these packages :D

You'll have a nice setup there! Grats on your new light! Let us know how you like it after you use it a while. And those Redilast 2900's? Awesome cells! You'll really like them. The charger should do you a fine job. Just take the cells off when the light turns green. Don't leave them on longer to get more voltage into them. They'll last you longer that way. Oh, and :welcome:

Warp

Enlightened
I don't understand why so many people willingly patronize companies and businesses that flat out lie about their product. RE: "4000 mAh 18650"

Warp

Enlightened
wfturnerm4: thanks for the info on the UltraFire and the charger. I will probably end up going with the charger :)

srfreddy and phantom23: there is a few UltraFire 4000mAh batteries floating around the bay, but I was suspicious about those. Thanks for the headsup.

I think I'm going with either Redilast 2900 or AW 2900's, depending on which has a better deal. And from what I have read, the AW 2900 still works with the Olight M20S despite it being a flat top, right?

Thanks!

I have a flat top AW 18650 (2600mAh) from around two years ago that I use in my Olight M20 Warrior Premium R2. However, I need to figure something out because the light crushed one end of the battery enough that my ultra-fire 139 charger cannot make contact and thus will not recharge the battery anymore

Last edited:

mrlysle

Enlightened
I have a flat top AW 18650 (2600mAh) from around two years ago that I use in my Olight M20 Warrior Premium R2. However, I need to figure something out because the light crushed one end of the battery enough that my ultra-fire 139 charger cannot make contact and thus will not recharge the battery anymore

Get one of the little rare earth magnets, (I got mine from Lighthound.com) and stick it on the top of the cell. Lighthound sells them specifically for the purpose of making flat tops work where you really need a button top. It will charge just fine with the magnet on it, and those little things have amazing strength!

Warp

Enlightened
Get one of the little rare earth magnets, (I got mine from Lighthound.com) and stick it on the top of the cell. Lighthound sells them specifically for the purpose of making flat tops work where you really need a button top. It will charge just fine with the magnet on it, and those little things have amazing strength!

I will try that. However, there is so VERY, VERY little extra room in the charger I don't think it will work.

Oh well, I shoudl get the pila anywayy, right?

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Just to add to what has been said, the M20 has dual sprung contacts - a spring at the head end and a sprung plunger at the tail end - so there should be no issues when using a flat topped cell.

goldenboy

Newly Enlightened
I use AW 2600mah's with my recently purchased M-20S S2. No problems at all. And for the last year they were used in my M-20 R2 with no problems. The R2 has 123 primaries in it now, as I only have two 18650's so far. At $19.00 ea at 4 sevens could only spring for two. And the Cytac charger gets em up to full charge over night. Ready for work the next day.

MechNinja

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

I just received the M20S S2 and the Redilast batteries today. MAN I love these things! I'm still waiting on the charger, but the batteries have enough juice in them to power up the flashlight nice and bright.

The construction is sturdy as can be, and I can light up the buildings across a 6-lane street. I really like everything about this light. Thanks for all the encouragements guys :)