Olight M30 Triton (new and first pictures

Helmut.G

Enlightened
Quick question regarding HKJ's reply: He lists the MVP and TK40 as clean, does this mean that it is direct drive, or that the frequency is just to fast to detect?
It's probably current regulated.
That means the current trough the LED is lowered to achieve different brightness levels. This is the most efficient way to drive an LED as it becomes more efficient at lower current levels.
PWM on the other hand is easier/cheaper to do for the manufacturers and can go down to lower light levels.
With a current regulation the LED will stop emitting light at some point. A PWM controlled LED can theoretically go down as low as you like.

Ideally you would use a combination of both with an extremely high (=undetectable) PWM frequency for maximum efficiency and uber-low levels.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at the GTA (greater Toronto area) CPF meeting yesterday and tried out the M30 in a dark wooded area. The PWM flicker is actually more of an issue than I first thought (all the other CPFers agreed). On medium mode simply swaying your hand while walking produces an annoying strobe pattern in the corner of your eye. This actually made me feel a little nauseated after a while. Likewise, quickly moving your eyes from side to side gives you the impression that you are in some lame nightclub. I eventually ended up using the light on full power which killed the atmosphere a bit.

I don't notice any flicker at all from my Surefires or Fenix TK11.

Climb14er

Enlightened
Has anyone else noticed this? I've been eying the M30, but this concerns me a bit. I don't suffer from epilepsy, but I am rather sensitive to this kind of thing.

I read in another thread about using a fan to check for the flicker. Has anyone performed this test on the M30?

The M30 I received last week has so far performed flawlessly. I don't notice any flicker at all. Then again, I'm not looking for it either. And when I do look for it, no flicker.

I bought the light for full self defense that is coupled with my Sig 220 .45ACP to protect my house and purchased it due to its tactical nature... and really bright light that throws and spills.

As long as the light keeps on working as it was designed, for a large amount of bright light, in a good pattern that combines throw and spill, I'm extremely happy to have purchased it.

This is a defense and emergency light first and foremost... for me at least.

Last edited:

Bluehinder

Newly Enlightened
My M30 is perfect. I don't see anything like that. It's flawless. Super great light.

dagored

Enlightened
Agreed. Arrived two hours ago. Not one problem. I can just wait. However, I am not worried, because if there is a problem, I know that 4Sevens will make it good.

2brian0

Newly Enlightened
Got mine today. Once 4sevens got it in stock, it hit my door lightning quick. Thanks 7777's!!! Love this light and can't wait to hit the streets with it at work. Great UI and plenty of lumens. It will make a great primary duty light. Very excited and like I expected, it compliments my new EagleTac M2X perfectly.

Dudeman

Newly Enlightened
There is no glue on the head or tail of this light, maybe though where the head/fin base attaches to the tube....not sure. Matt said in another post that he was pretty sure Olight would be offering an aftermarket tail for the M30.

Regarding the PWM modulation, I have not noticed it. But just the fact that some do, if this is a cheaper cost-cutting way to produce a driver, then I'm disappointed. If I pay close to $150 for a flashlight, I would hope all facets of it's design are meticulously crafted and top notch.

In terms of the other thread on its IP68 submersion tolerance, I will again be very disappointed if I can't accidentally drop this light in a puddle or stream briefly without it becoming damaged.... and I don't care what the "technical" definition of IP68 means.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
In terms of the other thread on its IP68 submersion tolerance, I will again be very disappointed if I can't accidentally drop this light in a puddle or stream briefly without it becoming damaged.... and I don't care what the "technical" definition of IP68 means.

Those technical standards are a pain nowadays. Everybody knows what is needed : Using the light in the rain with the possibility to dunk it for a moment and repeat this. Normal life conditions outdoors. If it can't do that, please mark it non-waterproof!

I remember, when I was a kid, I got a Casio watch, 50 meters waterproof. Wow, I was so proud to have a digital watch to wear even in the swimming pool. So, I got pretty upset when it got moist inside even in the bathtub. Later on I learned the truth about all those meters : 50 meters meant that you can hardly have a shower with it, 100 meters could be worn in the bathtub and you needed 200 meters to go swimming and dive 2 meters deep.

That was 30 years ago and I hoped that if someone tells me today that I can dunk a light 1 meter deep, that I actually can dunk it 1 meter deep!

TodToh

Newly Enlightened
Japan has long learned to create loyalty to their products but china has just started to do the same.
IMHO IPX8 standard from china flashlights means nothing.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Japan has long learned to create loyalty to their products but china has just started to do the same.
IMHO IPX8 standard from china flashlights means nothing.

I don't use my lights often in the rain, but if I do, I will disassemble them from now on to see. I just hope the sealed heads (doesn't aplly to the Triton of course) are resistant...

We once lost a Maglite in the pouring rain. Two days later we noticed and got it back, as we knew where we left it (never switch a light off you lay in the grass...). I disassembled it, but it was dry inside, and it continued raining those days. :thumbsup:

1dash1

Enlightened
The PWM strobe effect is significantly more noticeable in the M30 than any other flashlight in my collection. Here are a few beamshots of an overhead ceiling fan, spinning at its lowest setting. Note: The strobe effect is only noticeable in the low and medium modes, not the high mode. (Click on thumbnails to enlarge.)

.... ....
M30 (low) .......................M30 (medium) ................M30 (high) ................. Note: Subtle (imperceptible by naked eye) PWM on
1/30 sec, F3.5, ISO 100 .....1/30 sec, F3.5, ISO 100 .....1/30 sec, F8.0, ISO 100 . high, when compared with other flashlight photos.

L2D CE (high) ..................L2D CE (turbo)
1/30 sec, F3.5, ISO 100 .....1/30 sec, F3.5, ISO 100

P3D Rebel 100 (high) .......P3D Rebel 100 (turbo)
1/30 sec, F3.5, ISO 100 .....1/30 sec, F3.5, ISO 100

.... ....
ED-P72 (low) ..................ED-P72 (medium) ............ED-P72 (high)
1/30 sec, F3.5, ISO 100 .....1/30 sec, F8.0 ISO 100 .......1/30 sec, F8.0, ISO 100

I'm not particularly sensitive to PWM issues, but I have to say that the strobe effect on low and medium is quite pronounced. I would guess that the darker the ambient lighting conditions, the longer one uses the light, and the more intensive the visual task; the more irritating the problem would be. I can understand how Monkeyboy found the beam very disconcerting on his hike in the woods. It probably would have driven me bonkers. (Well, that's what backup lights are for, right? :tinfoil:)

I tried using the diffuser, in the hopes that the more diffuse beam would limit the staccato effect. However, the diffuser did nothing to mollify the strobing. :sigh:

EDIT:

Correction. I forgot about one light that I have with a similar PWM issue - my L0D CE. On low, the strobe rate looks about the same as the M30's. On medium, the LOD's PWM frequency is higher (better), slightly less noticeable, but still present. Not a problem on high.

The L0D's PWM doesn't bother me for a few reasons: (a) It's generally used for very short periods of time, 30 seconds to 2 minutes. (b) It's generally used for very close-in tasks, under 5 feet, with nothing moving very quickly. (c) I generally don't pan a scene in low or medium. If I pan a scene, I have the L0D on high. (d) The situations where I most use the light is being plunged into darkness after being in the light, i.e., my eyes are not night-adapted. They are therefore less sensitive to beam peculiarities.

Last edited:

1dash1

Enlightened
I don't know if anyone else has reported this problem:

The leather carrying case has two exposed metal rivets that may potentially scratch the flashlight.

When holding the flashlight, the reverse side of the button snaps make direct contact with the M30. Not good. :sick2:

easilyled

Flashaholic
I don't know if anyone else has reported this problem:

The leather carrying case has two exposed metal rivets that may potentially scratch the flashlight.

When holding the flashlight, the reverse side of the button snaps make direct contact with the M30. Not good. :sick2:

1dash1, you have just dashed my enthusiasm for my new M30 with all these negative observations. :ohgeez:

Thanks for the warning though. To be honest I already thought that the holder could potentially scratch the flashlight
and won't be using it.

dagored

Enlightened
Light arrived yesterday. So excited, I placed 3 batteries in immediately. Worked great. Decided today to use the battery magazine. Light will not work. Batts are in correctly, everything is tight. Will not go on. If I place the batts in without the magazine, works great.

Any suggestions, other than send it back?

UPDATE: Filed down the top of the tube above the threads - lightly. Cap sits just a little lower. It now works.

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be honest I already thought that the holder could potentially scratch the flashlight
and won't be using it.

I only took it out of the nice toy-like plastic box to shake my head and put it back immediately. They'd better add some sort of lanyard than this leather thing that looks like it comes out of a s**-shop! :eek:

I can only recommend the following : Take the light out, screw off the tailcap, place a power source in (with or without extender or magazine), screw everything tight and enjoy the light as soon as you find the S-switch.

@dagored

No idea what happens there. If the cells are placed in the correct way and the magazine has openings on both ends that are large enough, the light should work. The magazine is just a piece of plastic after all... :shrug:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Light arrived yesterday. So excited, I placed 3 batteries in immediately. Worked great. Decided today to use the battery magazine. Light will not work. Batts are in correctly, everything is tight. Will not go on. If I place the batts in without the magazine, works great.

Any suggestions, other than send it back?
Don't use the battery magazine. ;)

Ecodelosandes

Newly Enlightened
Don't want to prejudge this light without have tried mine itself (it's clearing the customs now), but i have to admit i'm deeply "pre-disappointed" with the slow PWM frec Olight gave the light. Even if it result not to be a great problem to my eyes, as some members pointed here, it's not a valid "design shortcut" in a product of this price.:shakehead
I'll wait to see it by myself, maybe the last Olight in my growing collection?
For sure the last light i'll buy without read a full review: my mistake!:oops:

1dash1

Enlightened
1dash1, you have just dashed my enthusiasm for my new M30 with all these negative observations. :ohgeez:

Thanks for the warning though. To be honest I already thought that the holder could potentially scratch the flashlight
and won't be using it.

I hope I haven't come off as being too harsh on the M30.

It's an outstanding flashlight! Perfect size. Handsome. 3-flats feel so good in the hand. Weight evenly balanced. Well built. Innovative UI. Extraordinarily flexible battery options. Excellent runtimes. Fully regulated output. Great high mode! Comes with a nice case and a full complement of accessories. And backed up by great vendors and a great company. :hitit:

However, as with any new product, there are bugs that need to be worked out. :thinking:

Heh! heh! I just noticed your play on words - "dashed" your enthusiasm. :grin2:
I missed it the first go-around. :faint:

Last edited:

Ecodelosandes

Newly Enlightened
I hope I haven't come off as being too harsh on the M30.

It's an outstanding flashlight! Perfect size. Handsome. 3-flats feel so good in the hand. Weight evenly balanced. Well built. Innovative UI. Extraordinarily flexible battery options. Excellent runtimes. Fully regulated output. Great high mode! Comes with a nice case and a full complement of accessories. And backed up by great vendors and a great company. that need to be worked out. :thinking:

Dash, i agree with you in every item you described, but finally, the ultimate goal from a light is the lighting quality it provides to the user IMHO.