Olight M30 Triton (new and first pictures

bodhran

Enlightened
I was watching a video on youtube comparing the m30 and two other flashlights. On video at least the flicker really shows with the m30 but didn't notice anything with the other two.

GoingGear.com

Enlightened
I was watching a video on youtube comparing the m30 and two other flashlights. On video at least the flicker really shows with the m30 but didn't notice anything with the other two.
That was my video. The M30's flicker is not visible to my eyes or anyone else that has seen it, so I would chalk it up to the fact that video cameras do not portray things the same way our eyes see them, such as when computer monitors are shown.

easilyled

Flashaholic
From what I recall the PWM frequency of the M30 Triton is exactly the same as that of the Fenix L0D.

Yet the feedback for the L0D was mainly very positive and I don't recall much mention (if any, at all) about the PWM being seen as a nuisance.

bullettproof

Enlightened
Who needs low or Medium LOL!!! If I need a 100 lumen light Ill just grab another light:nana:

wapkil

Enlightened
From what I recall the PWM frequency of the M30 Triton is exactly the same as that of the Fenix L0D.

Yet the feedback for the L0D was mainly very positive and I don't recall much mention (if any, at all) about the PWM being seen as a nuisance.

I think that to some degree it may depend on the PWM duty cycle and brightness. I guess the higher the duty cycle is (the longer the LED is on) the harder it is to notice the flickering. In the M30 the duty cycle on Lo is only around 1.5% so almost all the time the LED is off with short sparks when it's on. The duty cycle in M30's Med is probably similar to Lo in L0D (~15%). And Med in L0D is probably around 30%. I also suspect that the higher output difference when the LED is on (700-800lm for M30 vs. 80lm for L0D) can make the PWM effect more pronounced.

EDIT: The discussion of the PWM duty cycle in M30 is presented in selfbuilt's review post #2

Last edited:

1dash1

Enlightened

The L0D is primarily used for short bursts, for close-in tasks, and with vision that has not has not yet been acclimated to the night.

If people used their L0D's to take long hikes in the woods, they would notice the same PWM issues as the M30.

BTW, by my eye, the PWM frequency of the two flashlights are the same, as you mentioned.

How can I tell? By holding one light high and the other light low and gazing at each light's reflection in the living room window, when I rapidly pan my vision (NOT move the flashlights) from one corner of my eye to the other, I can see the same number of images along the beam track.

When compared with my ED-P72, the ED-P72 has somewhere between three and four times as many images - so it's PWM frequency is that much faster. For my M2XC4, I can distinguish no separate images at all.

Climb14er

Enlightened
If people used their L0D's to take long hikes in the woods, they would notice the same PWM issues as the M30.

Forgive me, I'm not a geek, not a flashlight expert... just someone who uses flashlights for reasons such as hiking, climbing, self defense and rescue... that's all. But I have been on this forum for some years with very low post count and I do like this forum and comments a lot.

For the record, I've climbed all of Colorado's 14,000 ft peaks , many... many times and numerous 13,000, 12,000, 11,000 ft ones and many via technical routes and many rock routes in Yosemite and elsewhere... hence, I've hiked my share of miles...

I don't notice the flicker issue inside the house or outside and honestly, I cannot understand for the life of me, this whole discussion and ramblings on about an issue that I see does not exist (for me) or affect the actual real-life performance of the M30.

Now others might have a defective light, or they themselves are either sensitive to the flicker or to light itself... and if so, I digress.

For many who have bashed this fantastic light, I hope it's for more reasons than this PWM or whatever you call it.

My .02

ergotelis

Enlightened
PWM is not a problem for everyone. But as much as you use it you might find it to be annoying.
For me sometimes it is a bit tiring, don't know why.
But as someone mentioned earlier, if i want lower output, as a flashaholic, i would use another light! :T:

wapkil

Enlightened
I don't notice the flicker issue inside the house or outside and honestly, I cannot understand for the life of me, this whole discussion and ramblings on about an issue that I see does not exist (for me) or affect the actual real-life performance of the M30.

Now others might have a defective light, or they themselves are either sensitive to the flicker or to light itself... and if so, I digress.

For many who have bashed this fantastic light, I hope it's for more reasons than this PWM or whatever you call it.

My .02
I don't think anyone is bashing the M30. Thanks to this type of discussion anyone who saw the reviews mentioning "disappointing, visible PWM" and, on the other hand, many users completely satisfied with their M30s knows that individual sensitivity plays an important role here. Knowing how one reacts to the PWM he or she can use this information to decide whether to buy this light.

It's a similar situation with the efficiency. One can compare the efficiency in different modes between the M30 and other MC-E lights and, depending on the needs, draw completely different conclusions. For some people only the efficiency on Hi would be important. Some will notice that the efficiency on Med is lower than offered by competition. Another person will realize that with the low weight offered by the M30 two additional batteries can be taken, together still weighting less than a competing flashlight. And for others the flashlight weight may be not important at all. The PWM, efficiency or weight are not good or bad. They are just important information that I believe is worth discussing.

And regarding being sensitive to light - I see quite well in low light situations but at the expense of being easily blinded. So you may be onto something :nana:

1dash1

Enlightened
For the record, I've climbed all of Colorado's 14,000 ft peaks , many... many times and numerous 13,000, 12,000, 11,000 ft ones and many via technical routes and many rock routes in Yosemite and elsewhere... hence, I've hiked my share of miles...

Climb14er:

I can't imagine you ran an L0D continuously for your mountainclimbing and hikes. What flashlight did you use on the trails at night and for what duration?

I've been EDC-ing my L0D for about six months. I've found that the PWM is hardly ever noticeable when used in short burst of 1-2 minutes, which is probably 99% of my usage. I don't think I've ever run the L0D continuously for more than 5 minutes at a time.

The situation is different with the M30. I've already run it continuously several times for more than an hour. On city streets, with high ambient lighting conditions, I took no notice whatsoever of the PWM.

Walking through the golf course on a moonless night, low ambient lighting conditions, the M30's PWM was noticeable very quickly (say less than ten minutes) and became bothersome after an hour. At 1 hour and ten minutes into the walk, I had to turn the flashlight off because I found it so unnerving.

If I didn't have a backup with me and was forced to rely solely on the M30, I don't know what would have happened. I don't know if the queasiness/disorientation/funny feeling would have stayed the same or whether it would have gotten worse. All I can say is that it was unpleasant after one hour and each additional minute felt progressively worse until I finally turned the flashlight off.

I've never been bothered by PWM before. I don't find strobes to be disorienting. I think I'm pretty normal .. but, then again, who doesn't? :shrug:

So, does it affect the real-life performance of the flashlight?
In my case, sometimes. YMMV.

Climb14er

Enlightened
Climb14er:

I can't imagine you ran an L0D continuously for your mountainclimbing and hikes. What flashlight did you use on the trails at night and for what duration?

I use a Princeton Tec EOS, original and now the newer version with added throw/lumens on the very early morning/late at night approaches and climbs. In that I use three Duracell AAA Alkalines and carry three AAA's as spares. In the winter, I use Energizer Lithiums.

The other LED lights I use are around the house and carry one as a spare for special situations. A surefire G2 Nitrolon is ALWAYS in my 4Runner V8 with two spare sets of Battery Station CR123's.

Since early last year, when I had an armed robbery in my house, walked into it in the late morning, in a 'safe' neighborhood, and the following week, installed a $2K security system, I make it my business to have by my bedside the M30 (with 18650's with nearby spares) and a Fenix TK11 R2, along with my Sig P220 .45ACP and one spare mag. In the kitchen is a Surefire Lumamax L4 and downstairs on my desk is an Eagle Tac T10C2 (with spare CR123's) and a Sig P226 9mm.

On occasion when alone in the backcountry, I carry a Glock 19 with one spare mag and the Surefire G2 with two sets of CR123's.

I've found the M30 to be incredibly bright with a large amount of spill with can clear the hallway to my bedrooms and can illuminate the entire living and dining rooms. Outside, the M30 lights up the entire front and back yards with both throw and spill.

That's the extent to all of my lights and I've learned all about them and the batteries, charger (Pila IBC) and multimeter (Fluke 177) here on this forum.

Like I posted, I've learned through this forum and as you can see, six years plus with less than forty posts. I've listened and learned a lot more than I wrote.

In summary, the M30 is an outstanding light!

Again, just my .02

Peace.

Last edited:

1dash1

Enlightened
Climb14er:

For your application, around the home, I'm with you. The PWM is a non-issue (except for those who are hypersensitive).

Last edited:

Edog006

Newly Enlightened
Pre-sale, I didn't like the idea of a crenelated tailcap. After receiving the light, I changed my opinion. It tailstands, it's easy to operate, it's not too "pointy", it prevents accidental actuation of the light. :thumbsup:

Two things that I, personally, would like to see changed in the tailswitch design:

1. A slightly bigger sideswitch button. Olight thoughtfully provided an instant access strobe feature. But they did it with a UI that is difficult to find without taking the user's eye off the relevant danger and onto the flashlight to hunt for the button. (In a crisis situation the flat area in front of the button is of no value.) And they did it with a UI that is difficult to actuate with one hand. A slightly larger diameter button and a slightly raised button would be appreciated.

2. Anodizing the threads so that the flashlight can be "locked out".

3. Countersink (round off) the sharp edges of the lanyard hole so that it doesn't cut lanyards.

I am in almost complete agreement with the above, however I would like to keep the sharp edges personally or at least have optional tail caps for those of us who like the sharp edges and others who do not.

Secondly when the M30 is placed tailcap down and 'off' the rubber from the switch is almost exactly equal to the metal edges, thus you get the M30 to stand but not as securely as if a millimeter was added to the metal or taken from the rubber cap. Very minor issue however.

Additionally, a lockout feature would be fantastic, great idea 1dash1, and I second a slight variation of the side switch too. While it has solid UI with bare hands, if you're wearing gloves a larger diameter and a more raised switch for qucik access would be nice.

Otherwise I love it, I carry it during the day sometimes just because I like it so much, but at night it is certainly useful!

Also aside note, does anybody have a good suggestion for silicon lube or what a good weatherproof sealent would be to add around the O rings?

Edog006

Newly Enlightened
Nice light option Dagored... note to self avoid Climb14er in the evenings =

"by my bedside the M30 (with 18650's with nearby spares) and a Fenix TK11 R2, along with my Sig P220 .45ACP and one spare mag."

Thats if I got past your 2G alarm system, unlikey. I like your style Climb14er

Any suggestions for weatherproof O ring lube anyone?

dagored

Enlightened
Nice light option Dagored... note to self avoid Climb14er in the evenings =

"by my bedside the M30 (with 18650's with nearby spares) and a Fenix TK11 R2, along with my Sig P220 .45ACP and one spare mag."

Thats if I got past your 2G alarm system, unlikey. I like your style Climb14er

Any suggestions for weatherproof O ring lube anyone?

Good for you. How did you get a hand gun in the PR of Maryland? I was told it takes an act of God.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
does anyone know if olight will make a battery magazine for the 4 x cr123 configuration? i was thinking about running it that way but cant stand the rattling.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then stop shaking it. :)

Seriously though, as I ansered in the MP it's not currently in the works. I am wodnering however if it's possible to use 2 of the M20 battery magazines if you cut the tab off of the bottom one. I'll see if I can give that a shot next week.

CUL8R

Enlightened
I haven't noticed any battery rattle using the 4x cr123a config. I loaded 3 batteries in the included tube, put it into the light, then put the last battery in behind it. So far, no rattle. I shook the light pretty hard in every orientaion and no sound or movement in the tube.

Jim

Last edited: