Opinions for $250 light

Parker VH

Enlightened
My nephew is looking for opinions on what would be the best LED light in the $250 price range that has the best combination of spill and throw?
I have several of the Deft and Rev lights but they are not something suitable for him.
If this has been covered in a previous thread, please post a link to it for me. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight warrior or warrior x pro, I think the monthly sale ends tomorrow for the warrior x pro.
500 meters and 2100lumens or 1000 meters and a 1000 lumens

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Maybe get two Acebeam L35 lights,, one for you & one for him. The L35 could sneak in as light of the year, right at the end.
With the money left over, you can get a bunch of 21700s'

Merry Christmas

____

Add: the L35 has a normal spring in the head end, so you can use flattop cells.
Also, it has a genuine moon mode of around 2lm, which is a feat itself w/ a huge 70.2 emitter & no PWM (1 second hold of power switch)
Has a true neutral tint.

The L35 uses a very interesting optic to make a great/unique beam.

Last edited:

Parker VH

Enlightened
I don't think he would really want something in the EDC size. it is actually his wife that is looking for the light for him for a Christmas present but she knows I have an interest in them so that's why she came to me.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
The most, greatest combination of spill and throw for $250 is here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...uminus-SBT90-2-High-Lumens-3*21700-Flashlight

Coupon code deal is at your stated range.

Independently measured specs are 14,000 lumens and 1,732 meters throw. The beam performance and beam profile are similar to the awesome X65, but with both some more power and some more light on target. I bought two of these with the discount code price, and I'm about to buy a third one, before the production supply dries up. This is my favorite midsize light for the year 2020. If this light is too big and/or too heavy for you, there are oodles of lesser lights for you to choose from. Also, the user interface provides for lower modes for longer one time.

nbp

Flashaholic
So what would he actually like and use it for?
A price alone is pretty vague. Size? Battery type? Extra features? User interface? There's a lot to think about when choosing a light for someone, especially at that price. Almost impossible to recommend without more info.

Parker VH

Enlightened
Well you know how the general public views lights. She said AJ wants a bright spotlight. It's hard for me to try to explain to her all the differences in types of lights. I just figured LED would probably be the way to go over HID which is more my forte. Other than that I think just the brightest available light with good spill and really good throw is about all I can tell you. Obviously he will have to buy batteries and a charger as well.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well you know how the general public views lights. She said AJ wants a bright spotlight. It's hard for me to try to explain to her all the differences in types of lights. I just figured LED would probably be the way to go over HID which is more my forte. Other than that I think just the brightest available light with good spill and really good throw is about all I can tell you. Obviously he will have to buy batteries and a charger as well.
What sort of physical size, power source and use though?

Also throw and spill are mostly mutually exclusive, i.e. you trade one for the other by and large.

$250 is quite a lot of money, there must be 1000 options or more for this budget, unless you can narrow the criteria down.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a good combo of throw and spill I've always liked the SF Fury reflectors. The fury from SF in both of its variations is within your budget and takes 18650s too. Second-hand previous gen. are available for very good prices. Whether it's the 500 or newer 1000lm DF version, they both have plenty of throw with good spill. I'm somewhat biased towards the older gen p2x 500lm due to its good regulation and better throw for its output. You certainly can't go wrong with the dual-fuel version either. Just an option to consider.

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because an HDS has no throw and certainly isn't high Lumen. Great lights though.

Kid obviously just wants a wow light it seems. I'd go with one of vinhs or even a stock noctigon K1. 4000l 475kcd. Why not go nuts.

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast

I feel everyone missed this post.

Parker VH

Enlightened
Let's not read into this too deeply. He is a simple homeowner / outdoorsman that wants a light that when you turn it on, you say "holy crap that's bright"!
I don't think battery type makes any difference at this point. It wouldn't make any sense to show him an aspherical lens light like my Deft which will throw forever but has no spill so there has to be a happy medium available. Simply put, the brightest $250 price range light with good usable throw and spill. It's not worth trying to confuse people and explain to them lumens vs. candela etc, you're just going to confuse them. All they care about is having a bright light when they turn it on.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
That post was not there when I made my suggestion. An HDS would be an awesome gift for what the OP originally posted with limited info. Now that we know he wants a thrower, HDS is definitely not a good suggestion. :shrug:

"Best combination of spill and throw" in the original op.

But I digress, I can't speak for the other poster who claimed it was "deeply inappropriate".

Latest posts