Opinions for $250 light

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exist Olight Javelot Pro or Olight Javelot Turbo, they have built-in and already matched batteries, they are charged only from usb charging, quite convenient, no need to think, except in the case if do not use it for long enough, when there is a need fast to change dead batteries.

There is a more difficult way - give him a dual-fuel flashlight like Streamlight ProTac HL5-X or Malkoff Hound Dog Super. This is not a thrower, for an average distance of 20-40m, but there is enough light, enough to surprise a few people. And give him primary batteries. Then it will be possible to find out in practice how he uses it, if rarely, then the primary will be enough. If he uses it frequently, the primary batteries will drain his wallet and he will naturally think about rechargeable batteries. And then he himself or with the help will figure out the safety of use and correct charging. But that's just my guess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qz0gkPgMEk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sd8KqW0owc

By the way, in what area does he live, i.e. how much free space around on average to estimate how long it needs a beam to cover the main places of residence?

Last edited:

majid

Newly Enlightened
The Lumintop GT Mini Pro is not as good a thrower as the original GT Mini, but it has both spill and throw, 3500lm turbo, good Narsil ramping UI and is fairly portable, and relatively inexpensive, but for general public practicality it's hard to beat an Olight with the magnetic USB charger base.

My absolute favorite EDC light is the Zebralight SC64c LE, but that requires more work charging batteries than an Olight S1RII or S2RII. Not a thrower, but for EDC floodier is better.

Last edited:

Parker VH

Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to see if I can get together with my nephew and see which style of light he is comfortable with and what his expectations are.

zoulas

Newly Enlightened
I understand the desire to spend $250 for one light but you can really get 5 incredible lights for the same price. Not to mention some of the expensive complex lights out there have real problems and are highly proprietary. Don't box yourself in.