P2D-CE: "Lightning" before Lighting destracts

Learjet

Enlightened
It seems like a voltage related thing with the regulator circuit. With my P2D it only flashes with primaries that sag under load and there is a visual difference between low/med/high. With my RCR123 3.0V is doesn't flash and there is virtually no difference between low/medium.

ensile

Enlightened
Mine does the "Burst" phenomenon as well, i think it's kind of cool, but not getting out of bed in the middle of the night eye zapper awakening. now i cover it with my hand if it's night. it reminds me of the little logo on the body, the dot for the 'i' is a little zap flash, it has manifested itself into the UI...

ensile

Enlightened
I eagerly await my p2dq2. I am in love with my p2d (orig). the p3d is getting a workout this weekend when i take it up into the hills to the abandoned train tunnel. good times ahead.

My p2d (orig) has the burst, but no other UI imperfections, I am using a panasonic primary. The finish on this particular fenie is superb, if the q2d does what it is intended too, It could very well end my search for the perfect EDC unit.

Last edited:

brightnorm

Flashaholic
It may seem trivial but it's enough of a distraction that I may just go back to using my P3D-CE instead. Considering the engineering talent clearly available to Fenix I would not have expected a design flaw of this nature.

Brightnorm

ensile

Enlightened
it does seem odd that the p3d does not do it and so many p2' heads do.. my only gripe/concern is that it's hammering the lil emitter with power, even if it is brief, could/would it one day damage it into some kind of spew green dimension?

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
My P1D CE does the same thing. Though it doesn't make much difference, because you have to go through MAX to get to LOW anyway.

I don't have that problem on mine but I've been using a Leef body for it recently. I can't recall if it did it before with the twisty.

-LT

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L2D-CE (both the old head that I ruined and the new head) and my P1D-CE both momentarily flash at a high brightness when set to a lower brightness level. I think it is normal.

The L2D-CE does it with any type of battery I try (alkaline and nimh), for the P1D-CE I can only test with primaries.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my P2D Q2 today, and it also does the flash between modes. I wonder if the flash is brighter than TURBO. As long as it doesn't damage anything I can live with it. Would be nice to turn on low without a blinding flash though. If it wan't for the flash between modes this would have been pretty much perfect. Maybe there will be a Q4 edition without the flash. :)

Last edited:

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L2D has the same effect on general mode! High burst before going to low. I found one funny bug with the UI. With some combination of switches from general to turbo (head twist), while pressing on the switch to switch modes, everything really fast (I cannot easily reproduce this), I can make the flashlight crash. It will stay on turbo forever even if head it twisted to general mode, modes won't work anymore, switching it off for 30 seconds and back to on won't solve the problem and during the next 3-4 minutes, if I leave it on, it will slowly dim to nothing. Leaving it off for about 7-8 minutes will completely reset the UI and it will be back to normal operation. :)

fleegs

Enlightened
Darn it. Mine does this too. However, until I read this post I never noticed it much. Now everytime I turn it on its like stabbing me in the eye. Darn knowledge.

rob

x2x3x2

Banned
Btw, what kinda runtimes are u guys getting from your 3.0V RCR123 cells?

Dobbler

Enlightened
I have "the flash" with my new P2D SE natural. It is annoying. Should I send it back? :naughty:

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I'm almost sorry I started this thread calling attention to something most people could ignore.

Brightnorm

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like it's a design issue. I think it may be the inductor building up too much energy in that small moment when you turn it off and back on. Since it's the inductor's job to boost the voltage, it may be boosting it too high for a few ms. The reason why some don't seem to have this issue while most do may likely be due to the interaction of tolerances in the components used in the driver.

Dobbler

Enlightened
I'm almost sorry I started this thread calling attention to something most people could ignore.

Brightnorm

It's different behavior than all my other Cree Fenix lights, and it's rather annoying. Other than this one issue, the SE P2D-CE with MOP is great!