P60 sized led drop-ins (part 3)

yuk

Newly Enlightened
Re: Cree XLamp XP-C-R2 5-Mode 90-Lumen Memory Red Light Drop-in LED Module (38mm*26mm

I am looking for a reliable P60 host dropin with great throw!
Any recommendations? :devil:

Superdave

Enlightened
the Lumens factory R2 single mode has excellent throw. The best i've seen from any P60 assembly.

the hotspot is so bright that i ended up buying a SF diffuser so that i could use it for close up work.

trdsupragt

Newly Enlightened
Re: Looking for P60 sized bulb using 3V 123A

Hey guys, I've got a 3V SureFire weapon light that I'd like to convert to LED. I was wondering which bulb would provide the most amount of light on a single 3v 123A battery. I'd also like for it to be as inexpensive as possible as well.

Thanks!

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you care about reliability for your weaponlight, or just want output and cheap price?

trdsupragt

Newly Enlightened
Reliability isn't as much of a concern for me, but would be nice I suppose. What are my options?

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its the nature of the beast : All R2's throw rather well .. [ P60 ]

Just depends : What your other needs are ..

Battery Life ? XP-E R2 - I have 3 XP-E drop ins , they cant compete with HOT R2's , but will compare to stock XR-E R2's running around 1A for throw .

A good hot R2 [ 1.5A ] is hard to beat [ P60 ] for throw .

The XP-G R4 is just around the corner [ There is talk of 350Lumen ] and it certainly sounds interesting , I talked to the importer here , and they have a delivery date , so hopefully it wont be to long before I get my hands on a R3 and a R4 XP-G , the P60 pill is ready and waiting .

Hwy115

Newly Enlightened
I have a 10 year old Surefire6P. I want to get a drop in LED setup for the light. The bulb I would like would be very powerful with decent runtime. I have AW R17670 1600 mah and I have AW RCR123A 750 mah batteries. What is the bottom line best drop in for this unit? I have a P61 in my light right now. Can I use the AW's with the P61 bulb?
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XP-G R4 is just around the corner [ There is talk of 350Lumen ] and it certainly sounds interesting , I talked to the importer here , and they have a delivery date , so hopefully it wont be to long before I get my hands on a R3 and a R4 XP-G , the P60 pill is ready and waiting .

I'm in the market for a drop-in for a C2 myself, and was wondering about XP-G R4 availability. I sent an e-mail inquiry to Lumens Factory, and they replied quickly. The good news is they will be making an XP-G R4 drop-in, but the bad news is that it may be a few months. (I'm no modder, so no DIY for me.)

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XP-G's have arrived , picked up a R3 and two R5's this morning ....

Im not sure , but am I the first flashaholic with some R5's ?

outersquare

Enlightened
i just got the DX XPE R2 drop in, it is quite good,

their website description is wrong, the sticker says 4.2V-8.4V
tried it in both G2/6PDL

the beam is very smooth,
not ringy like the older DX XRE R2

hotspot is smaller/hotter than E2DL
but more/brighter spill

fit is perfect size without spring
does not leave gap between head/bezel

recommended

ed; current draw at tail on hi ~1.0 amp

Last edited:

mfrey

Enlightened
that should read "yes, malkoff hurry and make an XPG S2 P60 module" i cannot wait for that day...

I really hope Gene migrates to the XP-G also. I'm holding off on any P60 upgrade purchases until I see what he does in the next few months.

sparktastic

Newly Enlightened
I have taken delivery of some XPG's on the 10mm pad from cutter.
I mounted the XPG R4 into the DX (originally XPE) P60 Drop-in.
The result?

Very dissapointing!

Despite the Drop-in reflector hole matching the size of the XPG perfectly, the XPG emitter is the same size as the XPE, the resultant pattern and output was horrible. The hotspot is virtually non existant, no matter how far in or out the emitters dome extends into the reflector, it seems impossible to focus the beam. The light output was somewhat dissapointing too.

I have to say, that so far I have been very dissapointed with the XPE/XPG sized emitter for flashlight use.

Having said all that, the XPG would probably be a cloud burner with a 50+mm glass aspheric lens.. It just doesn't seem that these emitters work all that well with reflector style flashlights.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I have taken delivery of some XPG's on the 10mm pad from cutter.
I mounted the XPG R4 into the DX (originally XPE) P60 Drop-in.
The result?

Very dissapointing!

Despite the Drop-in reflector hole matching the size of the XPG perfectly, the XPG emitter is the same size as the XPE, the resultant pattern and output was horrible. The hotspot is virtually non existant, no matter how far in or out the emitters dome extends into the reflector, it seems impossible to focus the beam. The light output was somewhat dissapointing too.

I have to say, that so far I have been very dissapointed with the XPE/XPG sized emitter for flashlight use.

Having said all that, the XPG would probably be a cloud burner with a 50+mm glass aspheric lens.. It just doesn't seem that these emitters work all that well with reflector style flashlights.

I wouldn't give up hope just yet... my best white wall hunters are my XP-E lights. They have a very smooth transition from the center spot, no rings, or artifacts at all. I think you might be using a poorly designed reflector.

Have you tried comparing the XP-G output with ceiling bounce?