• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired P60 XPG modules - warm, neutral, cool white/SST-50 -90 P60 modules (part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitedoom34

Newly Enlightened
Re: P60 XPG modules in warm, neutral, cool white/ SST-50 -90 P60 dropin Modules (part

:paypal:
For:

Nailbender XRE optic dropin, WARM (3000K), 1 mode regulated @ 1.2 amp, 8 degree optic installed with additional 40 degree optic.

$40.00+4%=$41.60

Thanks!

NOTE: I forgot to mention this in my paypal comment, but I would like the 3.6-6v driver

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: P60 XPG modules in warm, neutral, cool white/ SST-50 -90 P60 dropin Modules (part

:paypal:
For:

Nailbender XRE optic dropin, WARM (3000K), 1 mode regulated @ 1.2 amp, 8 degree optic installed with additional 40 degree optic.

$40.00+4%=$41.60

Thanks!

NOTE: I forgot to mention this in my paypal comment, but I would like the 3.6-6v driver

Hi

Not a problem thanks for letting me know.

Dave

Noctis

Enlightened

Hi Dave,

I bought one of your SST-50s single-mode 2.8 amps regulated. It's definitely brighter than my previous XP-G from Thrunite, but I'm still feeling that itch:devil:

I've heard that you were able to drive one of your SST-90s to 5A with a sustained output of 1200 lumens out the front.

I'm a little curious as to what that would require. I suspect it wouldn't be as simple as getting a Direct Drive module, and IMR 18650, and sticking them both in my 6P. I heard that lowering the overall resistance would be necessary.

However, the McClicky switch in my 6P is said to be able to handle 6 amps with no problem. I figure the necessary modifications(thicker copper wires) could be done from your end. But I somewhat suspect that direct drive doesn't automatically mean that the amperage will be at the high level that I want it to be. I'm guessing a specific type of driver will be required?

Heatsinking would be a concern, but I do happen to have 3 rolls of copper tape and a full tube of AS5:devil:. Hopefully that would let me run the light longer than 30 seconds.

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Dave,

I bought one of your SST-50s single-mode 2.8 amps regulated. It's definitely brighter than my previous XP-G from Thrunite, but I'm still feeling that itch:devil:

I've heard that you were able to drive one of your SST-90s to 5A with a sustained output of 1200 lumens out the front.

I'm a little curious as to what that would require. I suspect it wouldn't be as simple as getting a Direct Drive module, and IMR 18650, and sticking them both in my 6P. I heard that lowering the overall resistance would be necessary.

However, the McClicky switch in my 6P is said to be able to handle 6 amps with no problem. I figure the necessary modifications(thicker copper wires) could be done from your end. But I somewhat suspect that direct drive doesn't automatically mean that the amperage will be at the high level that I want it to be. I'm guessing a specific type of driver will be required?

Heatsinking would be a concern, but I do happen to have 3 rolls of copper tape and a full tube of AS5:devil:. Hopefully that would let me run the light longer than 30 seconds.

HI

I am not sure where this was read at but those are not practical figures for a drop in.
I have gotten close to that in a maglite with a 3 oz heatsink but those sound like calculated figures not out the front lumens.
The best you can do is straight wire a one level. As for thick wires 24 gauge will easily handle 5 amps. Other than a straight wired one level there is not much more I can do on my side.

Dave

Noctis

Enlightened

HI

I am not sure where this was read at but those are not practical figures for a drop in.
I have gotten close to that in a maglite with a 3 oz heatsink but those sound like calculated figures not out the front lumens.
The best you can do is straight wire a one level. As for thick wires 24 gauge will easily handle 5 amps. Other than a straight wired one level there is not much more I can do on my side.

Dave
At 9A at the tail in a Mag 1D hosts with Britelumens heatsink and tons of cooling paste Nailbender got some real out the front lumen readings.

1455 instant peak out the front lumens at 9A, but it was down to 750 lumens after 3 minutes.

Also,
A Mac Custom 3 P7 Mag build with 2 AW li-0n C cells was tested at the San Jose, CA local meet by MrGman. It was 1150 out the front with 3 P7's. So, as you can imagine 2 P7's will create soo much heat that you loose the potential lumens ASAP. If you get 1000 out the front from 2 P7's regardless of the current and total watts you got extremely lucky.

So, of course 1400 instant peak lumens will look brighter than 1000ish:whistle:

Good build, but this SST-90 has already been tested in a real IS Sphere and while they do make 40watts of power, the out the front lumens are lost due to heat.:oops:

This SST-90 was driven at 5A by Nailbender and he got 1200 out the front lumens steady, with no noticeable drop... It looks like less is more with these.
Kinda hard to argue with Big C lovecpf

Also I firmly believe that anything that outputs over 200 lumens falls out of being "practical" and more into "for the fun of it".

For the most part I'm just looking to drain the battery completely inside of 15 minutes(hopefully not less than 10 though) at the highest output. Kinda like pouring lighter fluid in a campfire to make it burn brighter. I just don't want to end up frying the module though, thus the 5-6 amp draw instead of the maximum 9 amps.

Wouldn't you also need to replace the inner spring between the module and the battery to further lower the resistance?

Last edited:

rice rocket

Newly Enlightened

Dave,

On the Linger special, I'd like to have one w/ strobe. Do you have a driver that'll put out 2.5A and strobe as well? Thanks.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Im kinda itching for a Linger Special
with the warm R3 or neatral R4-

anyone have one of these?

wondering if the can be made in regulated one mode as well.

Im wanting a Floodlight with no hotspot- or all hotspot ;)

maybe the SST90 in neutral r warm would be better?

its for bike riding on foggy nights down steep hills in the woods.

I like my SST50 but want to try something without the crisp
spill to hotspot transition.

PolarBearX

Newly Enlightened

I went with two r2 @4000k in my Linger and now its my favorite light....I have the three mode regulated, there is clutter on low that U only see on a whitewall, and it almost disappears completely on high...the flood overwhelms the spill from my tk40, its very bright on high...plus its so natural it made my tk40 beam look green....outdoors nothing is whitewashed as with my other lights, the large flood with no hotspot makes foliage and animals and everything look "real" to the eyes....I wish every light I could get with this tint, and NB knows how to make it powerful, with no hotspot I was very surprised to see that on high the Linger matches the throw distance on my romisen rc g2II. ..this makes me :)

PBX

Last edited:

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Kinda hard to argue with Big C lovecpf

Also I firmly believe that anything that outputs over 200 lumens falls out of being "practical" and more into "for the fun of it".

For the most part I'm just looking to drain the battery completely inside of 15 minutes(hopefully not less than 10 though) at the highest output. Kinda like pouring lighter fluid in a campfire to make it burn brighter. I just don't want to end up frying the module though, thus the 5-6 amp draw instead of the maximum 9 amps.

Wouldn't you also need to replace the inner spring between the module and the battery to further lower the resistance?

HI

I will PM Big C but I still think something is getting lost as I am sure that the 1200 he is talking about is 1C maglite running 26650.

I am always glad to help in anyway I can as long as I get you a good solid module that works properly. There is only so much I can do to a module, one speed direct wired is as good as it will get as it is strictly up to the battery and the led.
I will have some new 5+ amp drivers mid week that will be great to work in a maglite but not in a module. They should be awesome.

Now as to arguing with Big C just so you know I have one of MR Gmans original IS spheres which I quote from daily. :devil:

thanks

Dave

Dave,

On the Linger special, I'd like to have one w/ strobe. Do you have a driver that'll put out 2.5A and strobe as well? Thanks.

If you are not running them with 26650 batts then I have a direct drive 5 level that would work.
I also if all goes right should have some new drivers on Monday that if manufactured properly will have that option I can turn on.

Dave

Im kinda itching for a Linger Special
with the warm R3 or neatral R4-

anyone have one of these?

No Problem as I have one of each on boards right now waiting for and order.

wondering if the can be made in regulated one mode as well.

Yes

Im wanting a Floodlight with no hotspot- or all hotspot ;)

maybe the SST90 in neutral r warm would be better?

its for bike riding on foggy nights down steep hills in the woods.

I like my SST50 but want to try something without the crisp
spill to hotspot transition.

I would think the linger would work well as there is not a dedicated hotspot with it. It will be the most floody.

The SST 90 is also a good choice as while it has a hotspot it is huge and would probably be as big as the road. There is a dedicated hotspot with the 90 but as big as it is it looks more like pure flood most of the time. This one is almost twice the price of the other though.

Dave

Noctis

Enlightened

HI

I will PM Big C but I still think something is getting lost as I am sure that the 1200 he is talking about is 1C maglite running 26650.

I am always glad to help in anyway I can as long as I get you a good solid module that works properly. There is only so much I can do to a module, one speed direct wired is as good as it will get as it is strictly up to the battery and the led.
I will have some new 5+ amp drivers mid week that will be great to work in a maglite but not in a module. They should be awesome.

Now as to arguing with Big C just so you know I have one of MR Gmans original IS spheres which I quote from daily. :devil:

thanks

Dave
Hmm, I'm still stubbornly attached to my 6P. Mostly because it fits so snugly in my pocket, and anything bigger would be a tight fit.:devil:

However, I am a little curious about the estimated/measured OTF lumens and total runtime with that kind of setup.

That is:
-Surefire 6P w/ AW IMR 18650
-UCL lens
-McClicky switch.
-SST-90 top bin cool white direct wired.

I remembering one of Big C's measurements that looked fairly promising:
-Surefire Digital Lumamax L2 w/ 2xCR123 Primaries 6v.
-Reflector.
-SST-90 top bin cool white.
-2.6A at tail
-803.1 lumens at turn on.
-725.4 lumens at 30 seconds.
-701.5 lumens at 1 min.
-666.2 lumens at 3 min.

Someone had mentioned that I could risk frying the emitter doing this, however I'm still kind of curious as to how likely that would be. I typically put some AS5 on the pill where the threads screw into the reflector, and then I wrap it in copper tape until it fits snugly into my 6P. With that kind of setup, I assume that I can tell when it's about to get too hot and simply shut it off before any damage can occur.

Oh, and again, would the inner springs need to be replaced to further lower the resistance between the battery and the module?

mandrake

Newly Enlightened

Sorry if I missed thsi, but I did look. I am currious about the pricing for the SST-50 3 mode regulated dropin pricing..
PM sent.

Phil

mandrake

Newly Enlightened

:paypal: SST-50 Regulated 3 mode 2.5 A dropin.

Phil

lennox3rd

Newly Enlightened

Hi. What is the price for an SST-50 including shipping to California?

heckboy

Enlightened

I am looking for a drop-in that I can build into a dynamo driven bike light. I'm looking for:

1) Maximum throw, very little spill. Optics are fine by me if they will help this happen.
2) I've got about 1A to play with.
3) I've got 6V to play with.
4) I'd prefer a slightly warm tint as it helps to see things.

Let me know what you recommend.

Thanks,
HB

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am looking for a drop-in that I can build into a dynamo driven bike light. I'm looking for:

1) Maximum throw, very little spill. Optics are fine by me if they will help this happen.
2) I've got about 1A to play with.
3) I've got 6V to play with.
4) I'd prefer a slightly warm tint as it helps to see things.

Let me know what you recommend.

Thanks,
HB

Hi HB

A couple of ways to go, the tightest beam would probably be a XRE but the strongest neutral would be a Q4 5b or something in that neighborhood. A warm less bright yet.

We could go with a R2 4000k neutral XPG which has a bit more spill as the viewing angle is wider but the distance thrown is still good.

Both will run at 1 amp at 6 volts.

Dave

Kif

Enlightened

Got my SST-50 4500K dropin today.
I love that creamy big hot spot :twothumbs

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Dave. I am building an aspheric project out of a Dereelight Aspherical head. It has a big hunk of aluminum that the pill mounts into, so plenty of heat-sinking. I want the brightest pill you can build me in single-mode, single 18650 battery. I would hope at least 275 lumens? What do you recommend? R2? do you have the latest, greatest bins? I got a Masterpiece Pro 1 recently and it is awesome in brightness and color (if you are familiar with it) What about an R3? Haven't heard much about these. Thanks. Ready to buy ASAP.

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got my 3 dropins yesterday!

Top notch, I'm very happy, they are all three very bright and present a nice smooth beam. The built quality is excellent on these, I'll surely get one or two more in the future. :wave:

Thanks Dave!!!

LumenMan

Enlightened

I got my 3 dropins yesterday!

Top notch, I'm very happy, they are all three very bright and present a nice smooth beam. The built quality is excellent on these, I'll surely get one or two more in the future. :wave:

Thanks Dave!!!

Only three?? :poke::nana::devil:

I received my XPG R5 & SST-50 drop ins the other day. They are by far the brightest P60 drop ins available anywhere, at any price. I never cease to be amazed everytime I press the tail cap :huh::hitit:

Status
Not open for further replies.