P7 Beam. Hows yours?

IcantC

Enlightened
Thanks guys, I have the cam cut off all the way. I used the sputtered reflector, but it kills the throw. It did give great flood, I reverted to smooth and do not mind the hole.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Thanks guys, I have the cam cut off all the way. I used the sputtered reflector, but it kills the throw. It did give great flood, I reverted to smooth and do not mind the hole.

Try less sputter or a different technique. If your sputtered reflector is making the beam flood then it is sputtered way too much. Nice thing about sputtering, once you get the technique down, you can sputter just enough to smooth out the beam without a very large loss in throw.

IcantC

Enlightened
Try less sputter or a different technique. If your sputtered reflector is making the beam flood then it is sputtered way too much. Nice thing about sputtering, once you get the technique down, you can sputter just enough to smooth out the beam without a very large loss in throw.

I have the Malkoff sputtered reflector. It still throws well, but floods as well. I guess the smooth just throws a lot more than the sputtered. Will try a light sputter soon. Thanks!

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard from one of my suppliers that this reflector, originally designed for the OSTAR 6-die LED works pretty nicely with the P7, once the opening is expanded a tad for the P7's dome diameter.

The size is roughly 22.85mm in diameter and 15.5mm tall:

OSTARReflector.png

I've asked for a quote and will most likely get some, once I get the pricing.

ceramide

Newly Enlightened
Thats were i got mine from wayne im happy with it i just want to get a better beam out of it.I know someone will find or make a better reflector for it and when they do i will buy it.:thumbsup:

Husky 20, I got my notice from Wayne today, likely i'll get mine in by saturday. I've got both an M2 camless SMO and an LOP from Modamag as sold at The Sandwich Shoppe reamed to 0.625". With luck they will fit as is or with only minor fitting. They are narrower than the stock reflectors which should trade back some flood for throw when using the LOP. If the LOP isn't adequate, I'll order an M2 MOP and see how it works. StefanFS in another thread said the KD MOP smoothed his beam but cut the throw significantly. However, the KD's medium orange peal looks pretty heavy compared to the pictures I've seen of the M2 MOP. I'll keep you posted. The M2's aren't cheap, but my waistline could stand to skip a lunch or three.

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
P7 running 3A on a fresh Li-ion D cell, white ceiling shot about 8', hand stippled mag reflector LOP with no apparent donut, slightly yellow around the edges.

p7ceilingln5.jpg

Norm

TexLite

Enlightened

Will,thats the balance I'm looking for.

I've heard from one of my suppliers that this reflector, originally designed for the OSTAR 6-die LED works pretty nicely with the P7, once the opening is expanded a tad for the P7's dome diameter.

The size is roughly 22.85mm in diameter and 15.5mm tall:

I've asked for a quote and will most likely get some, once I get the pricing.

Fred,those look like good candidates for a Tri-P7.
Any news on the Ostar reflectors,how do they work with the P7,are you going to get any more?

Thanks,
Michael

KrisP

Enlightened
I just received the P7 reflector from DX... It has given a nice hotspot rather than the donut or clover leaf that I was getting with a FM LOP.

This is not an accurate measurement but at 1m the hotspot appeared to be about 18cm across with the light on a low setting. The reflector has quite heavy OP so I assume the spill is going to be bright. I can't tell yet as it's daytime, i'll check again tonight :)

The only problem is that the bezel will not screw down completely... This is caused by the top of the reflector being too thick. Even with the head off the light the bezel won't screw down on the lens and reflector fully.

Last edited:

KrisP

Enlightened
Pics...

Deal Extreme P7 reflector (SKU12229).

The bezel does not screw all the way down.

Quick beam shot. About 1.5m from ceiling. Camera on AUTO.

husky20

Banned
Husky 20, I got my notice from Wayne today, likely i'll get mine in by saturday. I've got both an M2 camless SMO and an LOP from Modamag as sold at The Sandwich Shoppe reamed to 0.625". With luck they will fit as is or with only minor fitting. They are narrower than the stock reflectors which should trade back some flood for throw when using the LOP. If the LOP isn't adequate, I'll order an M2 MOP and see how it works. StefanFS in another thread said the KD MOP smoothed his beam but cut the throw significantly. However, the KD's medium orange peal looks pretty heavy compared to the pictures I've seen of the M2 MOP. I'll keep you posted. The M2's aren't cheap, but my waistline could stand to skip a lunch or three.
Thanks im hoping to find a reflector that smooths out the beem and improves the throw to.I think it looses throw because the gap is not butted up to the emmiter.I have been thinking of something i could put in there to but up against the reflector like a little mirror or something like the fenix lights have so there is no gap between the emitter and the reflector might loose the focusability but who care if it significantly improves throw and beem smoothness.us cpfers need to figure this out i think this has way more potential.:thumbsup:eek:f course i posted this before i saw the dx reflector should have read down a little further looks good just wish it screwd all the way down.:eek:think i will try it.

Last edited:

JamisonM

Enlightened
Pics...

Deal Extreme P7 reflector (SKU12229).

The bezel does not screw all the way down.

Quick beam shot. About 1.5m from ceiling. Camera on AUTO.
How well does the Deal Extreme reflector throw compared to the standard smooth maglite reflector? How does the it compare in side spill?

KrisP

Enlightened
I haven't used the standard smooth reflector, only the Fivemega LOP and this DX MOP. The throw is quite reduced compared to the FM one and the spill is quite blinding which stops you from seeing the throw properly.

It's definitely not for throw, just a nice smooth beam.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't used the standard smooth reflector, only the Fivemega LOP and this DX MOP. The throw is quite reduced compared to the FM one and the spill is quite blinding which stops you from seeing the throw properly.

Yeah it's a shallow reflector designed for the Ultrafire WF-500 series of flashlights. They all seem to have a real thick lip that doesn't let the Mag bezel to screw that far down. You either have to find a way to thin the lip down or remove enough material from around the reflector to get it to fit just inside the Mag head. People have done it here before, but never really explained how. I suppose a dremel/rotary tool is involved in accomplishing it.

I wouldn't expect a wide and shallow reflector to offer much throw, especially since it's so heavily textured. I think the Kaidomain MOP reflector is the easiest as far as a dropin solution goes, but some have said you lose quite a bit of throw with it...otherwise I'd say take a shot at texturing a stock Mag reflector yourself.

forrest

Newly Enlightened
Here's some of my converted to p7 streamlight HP compared to the romison rc t5 (converted with the shark/remora), the hp is awesome, probably brighter and I can adjust the beam also , very happy!
nana.gif
flash2016.jpg
flash2017-1.jpg
flash2016.jpg
flash2016.jpg

forrest

Newly Enlightened
Post this in the other thread also,After going outside with this hp and comparing it with the t5, man this p7 in this hp blows away my t5 even with the shark upgrade!

JamisonM

Enlightened

I figured that. What kind of throw does it have? I'm guessing it's putting out quite a bit of light, but, in your opinion, at what distance does it start to lose it usefulness?

ceramide

Newly Enlightened
I received Wayne's Mag mod today. Bright, but with the stock reflector, lots of lumens lost up above your head, IMO. Both an M2 SMO and an M2 LOP improved the throw and also concentrated the spill (a narrower reflector) over the stock reflector. I also tested a Flashlight Lens UCL with and without the light diffusion film.

The M2 LOP almost, but not totally, smoothed out the donut hole. As I primarily use the mags out doors, the M2 LOP is good enough. Some will be annoyed by the residual hole but it's really not that noticeable.

With the LOP and LDF lens, one heck of a work light. Lit up half the backyard while still not being too bright up close to blind. Such a bright worklight with a three hour run time on 3 x 10,000 low discharge rechargables: pretty fair.

With the M2 SMO, I was lighting up a hillside about 175 yards away with about half the apparent intensity of a 5D Malkoff drop-in with an M2 SMO, but with about 4+ times the area. (The 5D Malkoff M2 SMO lit up the hillside with the same apparent intensity as an A9 or a MRV gen 2 (lottery winner) but with 3x the area. The P7 compared to the MRV was quite the contrast in styles.) The LOP couldn't reach the hillside well, but still better than the stock reflector. I'd guestimate the M2 LOP threw on the hill at maybe 135-145 yards what the M2 SMO threw at 175.

Conclusion: for a longer throw searchlight, use the P7 with an M2 SMO as the donut is lost beyond ~75 yards. It may be even better for this function than the Malkoff due to the wider spill even if not as bright. However, if you need to reach across canyons/gullies/streams without moving closer, use a Malkoff (also longer runtime). For a general purpose worklight/searchlight, use the P7 with the M2 LOP and UCL lens. For an amazing portable worklight, use the P7 M2 LOP with a LDF lens. Could of used this a few weeks ago when one of the neighbor's horses went down. (I used two HID to light the area up but they were almost too bright for the task.)

PS I now understand the comments on it being hard to capture a P7 beam on camera: there's too much of it there to represent well.

Last edited: