P7 Beam. Hows yours?

forrest

Newly Enlightened
I,m going convert to a p7 a streamlight stinger HP that has a sputtered base to smooth reflector, I've ordered the parts will have to wait until they get here from the orient!

TexLite

Enlightened
I,m going convert to a p7 a streamlight stinger HP that has a sputtered base to smooth reflector, I've ordered the parts will have to wait until they get here from the orient!

forrest,how are you going to mount the P7,with a custom heatsink?
Are you building or ordering the parts?
If ordering do you have a link?

Michael

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

I'm curious to see this mod too. I've got a Terralux drop-in in hand for modding & I don't believe there's much room inside the HP head for sufficient heatsink for the P7. :popcorn::thumbsup:

forrest

Newly Enlightened
Texlite, I'm going to order these parts from DX http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11809 , dark zero, I will be using an aluminum post to attach the p7 and the post will be attached to an aluminum disc. I believe it will provide plenty of sinking, it will also have a spring that will contact the disc to the metal reflector, I think it will workout great! I'm excited about it, will do it to my other hp's as well if all goes well with this first one, I will also consider a "high/low" board after the direct drive tryout first. There,s plenty of room in that head. I now have a terralux mod in one that I upgraded to the seoul p4.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Texlite, I'm going to order these parts from DX http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11809 , dark zero, I will be using an aluminum post to attach the p7 and the post will be attached to an aluminum disc. I believe it will provide plenty of sinking, it will also have a spring that will contact the disc to the metal reflector, I think it will workout great! I'm excited about it, will do it to my other hp's as well if all goes well with this first one, I will also consider a "high/low" board after the direct drive tryout first. There,s plenty of room in that head. I now have a terralux mod in one that I upgraded to the seoul p4.

Sounds good. Looking foward to your post.

Why not order from Fred? He has bin CSWOI which is lower vf than the CSWOJ that Norm posted. Will be $3 more but you'll receive it in only a few days rather than a couple weeks if ordered from KD.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=177367

Well unless you need the higher vf or will be placing an order from them anyways.

forrest

Newly Enlightened
Forgot to mention, that the "disc" will be a tight fit against the body with artic.a. also to provide extra sinking, should'nt be a problem. I also upgraded my rom. rc-t4 to a shark/rem sandwich and the head of that t4 can handle the heat running about 1600 ma. , I believe the p7 in this hp will be drawing around 1600ma @ 4.2 fully charged from the factory batteries (subc x3), also have the option of using the 3000ma. nimh batteries to bump this up if possible/needed.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Why not order from Fred? He has bin CSWOI which is lower vf than the CSWOJ that Norm posted.
I've been giving this some thought, I have a P7 from Fred great tint but would't J bin suit direct drive with a Li-ion better than I bin?, my P7 from Fred draws about 3.2A on a freshly charged D Li-ion. I remember in the old Luxeon days we always bought LEDs with the VF to match battery voltage. I might be barking up the wrong tree. Curious to know what others think.
Norm

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I've been giving this some thought, I have a P7 from Fred great tint but would't J bin suit direct drive with a Li-ion better than I bin?, my P7 from Fred draws about 3.2A on a freshly charged D Li-ion. I remember in the old Luxeon days we always bought LEDs with the VF to match battery voltage. I might be barking up the wrong tree. Curious to know what others think.
Norm

Yes in dd cases that would make more sense. I had a I bin dd of 3x C4500 NiMhs & current was 3.1A freshly charged then leveled off to 2.8A shortlly after. With the stock Stinger battery the I bin should be good & even with the upgrade 3000mah NiMh pack. I was mainly recommending to order from Fred because of the quick delivery & great service. IMO I don't see a need to save $3 & wait 2 weeks than to have it in only a few days.

BTW, forrest, I have CSWOIs & the 3000mah NiMh Stinger pack on hand so if you need a current reading I'll be more than happy to help.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I was mainly recommending to order from Fred because of the quick delivery & great service. IMO I don't see a need to save $3 & wait 2 weeks than to have it in only a few days.
Agreed , Fred is a great guy to deal with, great service :thumbsup:
Norm

forrest

Newly Enlightened
That would be great Will if you could check that for me, and I will get the led's from Fred and possibly the battery also, Thanx for the info, I want these asap as I'm impatient! I will post the results as soon as I get this together , Thanx abunch!: Forrest

forrest

Newly Enlightened
That would be great Will if you could check that for me, and I will get the led's from Fred and possibly the battery also, Thanx for the info, I want these asap as I'm impatient! I will post the results of this bulid as soon as I get this together , I`ll be waiting for your results on the current readings, Thanx abunch!: Forrest

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
That would be great Will if you could check that for me, and I will get the led's from Fred and possibly the battery also, Thanx for the info, I want these asap as I'm impatient! I will post the results of this bulid as soon as I get this together , I`ll be waiting for your results on the current readings, Thanx abunch!: Forrest

I got 2.5A direct drive with a CSWOI & a Kinetic 3.6V 3000mah NiMh Stinger battery pack.

forrest

Newly Enlightened
Thanx Will, just ordered the p7's from Freds, looks like this should be interesting and maybe... enlightening!?

IcantC

Enlightened
For those using stock smooth Mag reflector and getting a good beam, do you cut off the whole cam? Or are you leaving some part of cam on there?

Thanks

TexLite

Enlightened
For those using stock smooth Mag reflector and getting a good beam, do you cut off the whole cam? Or are you leaving some part of cam on there?

Thanks

Yes,cut off the whole cam.If you leave too much the reflector will not travel down far enough to get optimal focus.

With the Smooth reflector,the beam is not perfect,but very useable in my opinion.I have tried different textures but keep going back to the smooth for the throw.May be different if I find a texture that I like.

Michael

NOTE:figured out that the reason for the awful tint in my above beamshots,I was in such a hurry I did not realize I failed to remove the polarizing and UV filters.