P7 Beam. Hows yours?

JamisonM

Enlightened
What is the M2 reflector?
I asked myself the same question. Check it out. From what I gather, it's a narrower replacement reflector for your maglite. They're sold at sandwich shoppe. Here's the original thread.
ceramide, I'd love to see some beamshots. I had no idea there was a maglite reflector like the M2s.

Last edited:

ceramide

Newly Enlightened
JamisonM and KrisP,

After Post #59, I decided to go ahead and order an M2 MOP anyway. If the order processed Sat. am, it may come mid-week. I'll post how it turns out. (If you order, make sure to specify reamed to 0.625").

Originally, Modamag did such a great job on the Draco, I figured I'd try one of his M2's. You can read the spec claims, which I can't confirm, but visually they are an improvement to the original reflectors. I've put them in all my mags from which I expect throw. Others are in a more informed position to opine if there are better replacement mag reflectors out there, but the M2's are pretty good.

For P7 application, if you go to the original thread JamesonM posted (if you lose that, you can find the link at the Sandwich Shoppe after following links around a bit. Search under 'reflectors'), you can appreciate from the photos that the granularity on the textured M2's is much finer than some of the other available Mag replacement reflectors. I'm guessing this, and the narrower angle, is why they smooth the beam while retaining much of the throw. In this case, just a smidge more texture than the M2 LOP should completely remove the donut. I briefly contemplated misting a hint of acrylic down onto my current M2 LOP before common sense prevailed (a perfectly good $25 reflector is a perfectly good $25 reflector, afterall.)

I'm confident the MOP will eliminate the donut and the only question is the trade off in throw. So, what can a P7 be used for? What's the niche? I love Mag throwers and flooders (work lights). With either an M2 LOP or MOP, a P7 mag should fill the gap between the two and back up both functions, albeit with shorter run time (but 3 rechargable hrs should be good enough for most applications).

Regards pictures: Alas, poor yorick, I've put my toy money into flashlights (and other good things), not cameras. The spousal unit already says that I need a 12 step program for flashlights. If I pick up a decent digital camera and start taking beamshots...she'll just use it as an excuse to buy food, medicine, or other such useless darn things (likely another saddle).

But seriously, I'll try to figure out how to take and upload a wall shot with the wife's little camera. However, to really capture these guys outside, especially at distance, I guessing requires a decent camera with a good dynamic range to be truly informative.

Last edited: