P90 vs G90

billvan

Newly Enlightened
In all my excitement to find and order the HP LA's I missed the Gun Show statements. I still have not heard back from Dan but I'll know when I know!

Anybody using 2 1 cell extenders on a C2 body to allow the running of 4 123's with the Digilight12v LA? Just an idea!

Bill

Charlie Brown

Newly Enlightened
LumenHound said:
The one I have is the Digilight DRB-9VHP which I ordered directly from Digilight.
Blackrifles.com sells the same Digilight lamp module for a bit less than Digilight themselves.
I bought from Digilight because I was able to call them on the phone and get quick answers to my questions so for me, it was worth the few extra dollars they charge.
The lamp module came packaged in a hard clamshell blister pak and the label on the collar of the reflector clearly says "Digilight-9V-H.P. BULB".

Hi

I ordered a lamp advertised as DRB-9VHP from Blackrifles.com, & have just received it this morning. Unfortunately it appears that they have sent me the wrong version as the label on the collar of the reflector says "Digilight-Xenon-9V" and not "Digilight-9V-H.P."

I'm not very happy, but have emailed them.

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
measure the current draw... if you are getting <0.9A from it, then you have recieved a true premium grade DRB-9VHP, if you are getting 1.15A+, then you probably have a HP G90, which is still a great lamp, just less efficiant.... both lamps are solid performers... but it's really a bummer that all these lamps are so difficult to distinguish.

we found out (long after this thread was originally created)... that digilight has their own version of the G90... and as of latally, it is hard to come by. Digilight still sells G90s as direct replacemants for their better DRB-9VHP. The highest quality version of their lamp, the DRB-9VHP, draws a mere 0.8A, is very bright and white.... whereas the replacement lamps still found at blackrifles and other dealers, are all going to be run of the mill G&P G90s, which draw 1.2A instead... We had another thread going to compare 9V lamps... I sent an email to digilight and found out that they do in fact have a variation of the G90 that they sell as their premium product, but that it is very new, and all other dealers are probably still selling old stock... (And it would seem, even didilight is still selling old stock to some folks for replacement lamps, the only way to get the high efficiancy model, may be to buy the whole flashlight from them, but even then there are no garantees...)

Charlie Brown

Newly Enlightened
mdocod said:
measure the current draw... if you are getting <0.9A from it, then you have recieved a true premium grade DRB-9VHP, if you are getting 1.15A+, then you probably have a HP G90, which is still a great lamp, just less efficiant.... both lamps are solid performers... but it's really a bummer that all these lamps are so difficult to distinguish

I bought a lamp listed (inc picture) as a DRB-9VHP, & would expect to receive the goods I paid for as advertised.

I will hold jugement & wait to see if they respond to my email. The guy I spoke to was very helpfull so I have plenty of faith in them still.

billvan

Newly Enlightened
Charlie Brown,

I feel for you. I went through the same delima recently with Dan @ BlackRifles and with Digilight. Everybody was professional in handling the problem but I gave up trying to get the latest greatest 9v. I have decided to wait for awhile... either all the old stock will be sold off or the manufacture/dealers will figure out a way to ship what they advertise! Very frustrating. Good luck and keep us posted!
Bill

Charlie Brown

Newly Enlightened
Ok - I got a reply from Blackrifles.com regarding ordering a DRB 9VHP and receiving a lamp with the markings Digilight-Xenon-9V on the collar.

From Blackrifles.com:
According to DigiLight there is no difference other than the
markings. Digilight has not shipped us any bulbs marked HP in a long, long
time, including the bulbs packaged in the lights themselves (T9 and NT9).
The picture on their website has not been updated, which is why it looks
different. This is the same bulb you'd receive if you order direct from Digi
and is what they're advertising as 175 lumens in the NT9 and T9 lights.

If this means that I still have a 175 lumen bulb albeit the 1.2mA & not the ~800mA then fair enough.

Any comments? I'm confused now :thinking:

Delvance

Enlightened
Charlie Brown,

You ordered from blackrifles yeah ? If you did, the lamp you received IS a 175 lumen high pressure lamp. I got one from blackrifles not long ago and indeed it is the 175 lumen LA. I know because i also have the 105 lumen LA and was able to compare them. The LA from blackrifles should draw 1.2A.

If you want the extra efficient 0.8A version, currently, you have to order from digilight themselves and also state you are after the 0.8A draw LA. Last them i checked, they were on backorder. www.digilightusa.com is the URL. I'd imagine eventually digilight will give their resellers the extra efficient 0.8A version but until they can produce enough numbers, all resellers will most probably have the 175 lumen 1.2A draw version.

Oh and don't worry about the markings on the reflector...it's useless. My 105 lumen LA says "high pressure" on it when in reality it isn't whilst my 175 lumen doesn't say high pressure but it is heh.

mdocod

Flashaholic
The "G90" I recieved from blackrifles... actually says "G90 G&P LAMP" on it... and I don't think it was a "175 lumen" "high pressure" version at all.. especially after comparing it to other lamps.. The P91 is AT LEAST twice as bright.... and the G90 we got through the Ioak store on ebay, which was laballed "high pressure" on the side, was significantly brighter. It's really a toss-up, hard to get the lamp you really were expecting.

Delvance

Enlightened
That's a bum Mdocod *sigh* these G90 lamps are really confusing! I say safest bet is to just buy directly from digilightusa and specify you're after the 175 lumen 0.8A draw lamp assembly then...

mdocod

Flashaholic
but then again- if you buy a G90 from a cheaper location- like ebay, or lighthound, or I'm sure there are others... you can get em for around $10 each. When you compare the cost/performance ratio even a REGULAR G90 to a Surefire P90, the G90s win, making them excellent alternative lamps for those who are less picky about getting the "best"