Pandemic-the light at the end of the tunnel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
So 1% of .01% of vaccinated people died of COVID. I like those odds.
So far..... you also have to add that figures for the 1% are cumulative adding in those who died early on and now with greatly improved medicine and treatment likely the chance of death for all but those who really need the vaccine is in the range of 0.2% and the chance of death because of reaction to the vaccine isn't added into the mix but likely insignificant.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I got vaccinated about 2 months ago. I don't really care about the other guy lying about being vaccinated without a mask. If I was really worried I would keep wearing mine. If I was REALLY worried I would retire back to my sealed up home.

If we have to get tattoos proving vaccination, at least let me choose the color and design. Plain old numbers are boring.

I bet there are people that just won't let this go, though. The CDC, not exactly the bastion of careless decisions, announces this yesterday. I believe some people are so miserably negative and enjoy being under the thumb that they will argue against this. Keep "masking up" or else you're killing grandma. The excuses are out there, wait for them to come full force.
I don't think they will get by with tattoos, and the imaginary number of grandmas that would die by not masking with many people vaccinated may go below the imaginary number where people don't get all bent out of shape over.

nbp

Flashaholic
So far..... you also have to add that figures for the 1% are cumulative adding in those who died early on and now with greatly improved medicine and treatment likely the chance of death for all but those who really need the vaccine is in the range of 0.2% and the chance of death because of reaction to the vaccine isn't added into the mix but likely insignificant.

No. There was no vaccine early on so that is obviously not what I am talking about. Look at the page cited. Of 95 million vaccinated, there were about 9500 breakthrough cases. Of those, about 132 died. That's where my numbers came from.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
They have finally said that we can go without masks after having the vaccine at some point in time (June 15 where I live). With all of my health problems including difficulty breathing while wearing a mask, I'm now going to get the vaccine soon. Hopefully, I'll be able to go to my doctor appointments maskless so I can breathe. They won't let me wear a face shield instead despite my breathing difficulties. I just hope they don't pull the rug out from under us after everyone gets vaccinated and say we still have to wear a mask anyways. People are bound to revolt then.

markr6

Flashaholic
And there it is. Home Depot, Starbucks, Kroger, to name a few are holding the requirement. Not a big deal, but it's a great time to virtue signal to the max and not go along with the city, county, state, and now CDC. But in the end I guess it's their property; no shoes, no shirt, no mask, no service.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
And there it is. Home Depot, Starbucks, Kroger, to name a few are holding the requirement. Not a big deal, but it's a great time to virtue signal to the max and not go along with the city, county, state, and now CDC. But in the end I guess it's their property; no shoes, no shirt, no mask, no service.
I've been in Home Depot here without a mask, and Walmart too, before and after they changed their signs. Before they had signs that said local authorities mandated masks but it was 2 weeks before they finally took them down and replaced them with signs that they demand them but they didn't say a thing when I went there without a mask and there was a few others at that time without them there.
I agree it is virtue signaling at this time when here in the city/state our infection rates were dropping before vaccines started already.

Wearing a mask, I no longer "shop" anywhere. I go in. Get what I want, and get on out the door ASAP. My mask is in my pocket within seconds of leaving the establishment. I just returned form a Home Depot. They have Mask Mandatory signs in place. Get in. Get out. Save money.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
But in the end I guess it's their property; no shoes, no shirt, no mask, no service.

Very true but they have to run a business as well and they will eventually go which ever way their customer base wants them to go. If Lowe's decides to say the heck with masks and everyone goes there instead of HD, you can be sure HD will rescind their mask requirement. And likewise for any other establishment with competition.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Very true but they have to run a business as well and they will eventually go which ever way their customer base wants them to go. If Lowe's decides to say the heck with masks and everyone goes there instead of HD, you can be sure HD will rescind their mask requirement. And likewise for any other establishment with competition.

I figure legal dept & insurance carrier w/ have a significant say in these decisions.

Also, with pfizer/moderna applying for full approval... how long till employers require the vaccine...

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I figure legal dept & insurance carrier w/ have a significant say in these decisions.

Also, with pfizer/moderna applying for full approval... how long till employers require the vaccine...

Oh no doubt. I think the "return to normal" is going to be just as turbulent as it was when we went into "pandemic life". It'll be interesting for sure.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I imagine that in a couple of weeks, masks will be a thing of the past for most people, and pretty much all establishments.

Yesterday, we went into a supermarket, Publix, and the sign was down, but we, and most people still wore masks. Some wore chin straps, and others mask hats, but for the most part they were worn properly.

Last night I did a pick up at a pizza place. Their sign was also down. The place was more full than I had seen before, and of course no one seated was masked. The waiting staff still was, as was the three of us waiting in line for pick ups.

That'll change.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The other day on the radio a guy said less than 700 had perished from covid in the US and that was the best day since last March (as in 2020). Down an average of 22% in the last seven days.
Meanwhile it rages on in other countries.

12-CB4-CD0-A03-E-4-C7-D-BA0-D-18-B18-D510134.jpg

Sadly India seems to be like California was to New York a while ago, racing for the top spot in cases and deaths. 2 million new cases A WEEK!! Jiminey Cricket that's a lot.

Is it time to stop standing 6' apart, wearing a mask when unable and washing your hands often?
Eh, I don't think so. If I'm in a gas station in line, a Home Depot or that sort of thing I'll still stand 6 feet away. Last evening the Mrs and I were in a store where nearly everybody had a face cover on. Shoot, right now where I live the pollen is so bad I wear one anyway.

Last edited:

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
yeah, it`s really sad for India :( they`re like 10x the infection rate you guys have and yet their counrty is tiny compared to yours (in land mass terms), and what makes it worse is that they`re the least well equiped to deal with it too.

On a Brighter note, We`re all booked for a meal on the 14`th June this year for my daughters birthday, and it`ll be a week after my second shot (so not too bad), it`ll be so nice just to drink a coffee and eat a meal that someone else has made for a change!

turbodog

Flashaholic
Meanwhile it rages on in other countries.

12-CB4-CD0-A03-E-4-C7-D-BA0-D-18-B18-D510134.jpg

Sadly India seems to be like California was to New York a while ago, racing for the top spot in cases and deaths. 2 million new cases A WEEK!! Jiminey Cricket that's a lot.

I had followed the stats _very_ closely since day 1. India had done quite well much to my surprise. I had though that due to their population density... it would be really bad there. Then I learned that their population is all pretty young... so they were going to dodge the bullet due to that. Well so much for that...

Time and time again covid has shown that the places that are doing well... have simply not gotten bad _yet_.

It also shown that places in decline will ramp back up at a moment's notice.

Edit: and if India is having 2M/week... that's still less than our new infections on a percentage basis. About 25% of our rate actually... so it could get a LOT worse for them.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Signage requiring masks in retail areas are still up in the stores that I've seen and I think that's appropriate. I'm concerned that the CDC's statement the other day is going to cause some un-vaccinated people to throw caution to the wind. Let's get it right this time.

Last edited:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Signage requiring masks in retail areas are still up in the stores that I've seen and I think that's appropriate. I'm concerned that the CDC's statement the other day is going to cause some un-vaccinated people to throw caution to the wind. Let's get it right this time.

Since IMHO a large percentage of the unvaccinated will lie and go maskless. I'll bet most wearing masks (myself included) will be vaccinated.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Yesterday, I went to the supermarket to pick up a few things for dinner. There was no sign, so although I had a mask in my pocket, I didn't put it on. I am vaccinated. Some were wearing masks, some not. Most, if not all of the employees were wearing masks.

I felt guilty, not wearing a mask, when I had to approach a masked clerk, to ask... where the Gnocchi is in the store.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.