Pelican M1 and M3 leds...

Flashlight Enthusiast
now have push button tail switch (before they had the crappy flimsy red body switch). the m3 is reported to have HA finish.

Good changes, I only hope that they also correct the reflector.

Flashlight Enthusiast
which post # in the thread? those large threads are hard for me to follow, I tend to miss things.

Is there a specific shot show thread or several about the show?

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the pics of the new Pelicans at pocketlights' shot show page. I just recently got a M1 also (grrr). I'm really interested in the new M1 with the tailcap switch and it looks to have an identical (possibly swappable) head to the M3 and M6 lights. The current M1 head is different.

owenbright

Newly Enlightened
Are there any differences in terms of performance between the new M1 and the older M1?
I'm curious if it's just the body that they changed.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got off the phone with Pelican. There's no change in the performance (same LED, reflector, etc.) of the new M1 vs. the old M1. New model no. is 3310 (vs. 2310 for old). The length is shorter by 0.7" though. Ooh, I like the new one. It should be available in April.

Flashlight Enthusiast
jsr said:
Just got off the phone with Pelican. There's no change in the performance (same LED, reflector, etc.) of the new M1 vs. the old M1. New model no. is 3310 (vs. 2310 for old). The length is shorter by 0.7" though. Ooh, I like the new one. It should be available in April.

Darnit. I hate the stock reflector of the M1.

Did you ask if they change the stock reflector of the M3? I'd like a fully textured reflector to eliminate the mediocre beam quality of my current M1 and M3. Like the M6 has?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
as far as I know, the new m1 will have the pelican reflector... I will double check of course, but I am pretty sure.

-David

phosphor

Enlightened
Is the current M1 red body switch all that crappy/flimsy.......I'm all for the push button tail switch upgrade, particularly with a momentary feature however would a guy really be disappointed or have difficulty with the "old" version. I ask because I have been thinking about buying a M1 I have seen on "sale"...I guess I know now why they are "on sale". Any feedback from current owners...the forums search feature does not reveal much information on the M1.

-Best regards

Flashlight Enthusiast
phosphor said:
Is the current M1 red body switch all that crappy/flimsy.......I'm all for the push button tail switch upgrade, particularly with a momentary feature however would a guy really be disappointed or have difficulty with the "old" version. I ask because I have been thinking about buying a M1 I have seen on "sale"...I guess I know now why they are "on sale". Any feedback from current owners...the forums search feature does not reveal much information on the M1.

-Best regards

It has lasted many hours of use...

It does feel flimsly and crappy though...yet it appears to be reliable based on my usage.

so, chances are it will be reliable to you. just will feel cheap...

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have any probs with my M1. It's a solidly built light and one I trust. The switch feels fine to me...different from the tail switches, but fine for a body clickie. It feels much better than the body clickie on my Aurora light.
I agree the M1's reflector produces a ringy beam. Since my M1's my car light tho, I just need a good hot spot with decent flood to work on my car when I need to. The M1 also has good throw for it's output and size. The head looks like the M3/M6 head, so perhaps the reflector is the same also. The Pelican rep stated there were no other differences aside from the body.

greenLED

Flashaholic
The M3 felt much better in my hand than the M6. On the M6, the top joint of my thumb sits on the button and I have to bend my thumb back to be able to operate the switch comfortably. With the M3, the fit is perfect! The OD HA coating looks superb too!

I actually like the feel of the Peli tailcap switches - and they seemed sturdier, at least on the couple of lights I played with.

I must say, the Peli reps at SHOT were really friendly and knowledgeable.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Green: did you get a chance to handle the M1? What are your impressions? I'm wondering if I should pick up the new M1 also (hopefully at a much lower than the $60 MSRP).

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
here is what I am thinking of doing: I think I might buy a new m1 and switch the module with the 3w and use 3.7v rechargables.... any thoughts on how that would work? It looks really cool.

-David

greenLED

Flashaholic
I did, jsr. Although the functioning of the light was udoubtedly Pelican-grade ;) I found the light too short'n stubby for my taste. YMMV, though! I choose my lights based on aesthetics as well as performance. :crazy:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Green. I actually like short, stubby (fat) lights. I find my 3W V2 very comfortable, more so than my Q3 which is a bit skinnier. My TM-313X is comfortable too, which considerably skinnier than the Q3. I guess I like them skinny or fat, but not in between.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenlight how do you think a 3w module in the m1 with 3.7v rechargeables would function?

-David