Photon Freedom 101

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Each person has a right to participate in the throwaway culture, or not.

If a company gives you a pinch light, put the battery in the USA made flashlight and carry on.

IMG_2928.jpeg

IMG_2929.jpeg

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Laughing Rabbit sent me a new (amber) Photon when I let them know about my first generation that still worked but had cracks (see images). It was used and used; even went through the washing machine.

The reason I had occasion to mention it to them is that I had a defective ReX flashlight (they replaced).

That is customer service.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinking it was early 80's an incredible dog would go out with me to the wilderness in the afternoon. Sometimes we went far and came back in the dark. She was a fawn color so the contrast of her fur was good against the green of that countryside. I asked her to walk slow enough for me to follow close behind, me using the amber Photon occasionally if I saw her negotiating some tricky ground. Surprising how long those little coin batteries would last when used intermittently.

Back in those days, Radio Shack had various LED colors one could play with and make strings with a soldering iron, but never did buy a red Photon. They were expensive back then as well.

Thinking it was the magazine "Popular Science" that reported LED developers created a blue emitter. That was fantastic news. I hounded two mom and pop electronic stores in Albuquerque for the new color and finally the blue LED's showed up. Using wire nuts and just twisting the legs of the LED's, made a 12V nightlight using red, orange, green, blue.

Then the white emitters came on the scene. As soon as REI first stocked them, one was attached to my belt loop. Back then
EDC was not known as an acronym for everyday carry.

Used the same technique to make interior lighting with white, bare emitters, using surplus amber LED's to get the voltage right for the off grid 12 Volt solar setup.

IMG_1959.jpeg

Cyan used very rarely but appreciated. Walking a forest trail at night that would briefly go within sight of an active residence, it was so nice to pull out a covert nose Cyan Photon and point it almost straight down where one is just about to walk. Being mindful of wind drift, neither humans or their dogs would be aware of our passing. Just want to quietly pass, letting them enjoy the evening as well.

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Laughing Rabbit sent me a new (amber) Photon when I let them know about my first generation that still worked but had cracks (see images). It was used and used; even went through the washing machine.

The reason I had occasion to mention it to them is that I had a defective ReX flashlight (they replaced).

That is customer serv

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinking it was early 80's an incredible dog would go out with me to the wilderness in the afternoon. Sometimes we went far and came back in the dark. She was a fawn color so the contrast of her fur was good against the green of that countryside. I asked her to walk slow enough for me to follow close behind, me using the amber Photon occasionally if I saw her negotiating some tricky ground. Surprising how long those little coin batteries would last when used intermittently.

Back in those days, Radio Shack had various LED colors one could play with and make strings with a soldering iron, but never did buy a red Photon. They were expensive back then as well.

Thinking it was the magazine "Popular Science" that reported LED developers created a blue emitter. That was fantastic news. I hounded two mom and pop electronic stores in Albuquerque for the new color and finally the blue LED's showed up. Using wire nuts and just twisting the legs of the LED's, made a 12V nightlight using red, orange, green, blue.

Then the white emitters came on the scene. As soon as REI first stocked them, one was attached to my belt loop. Back then
EDC was not known as an acronym for everyday carry.

Used the same technique to make interior lighting with white, bare emitters, using surplus amber LED's to get the voltage right for the off grid 12 Volt solar setup.

View attachment 53142

Cyan used very rarely but appreciated. Walking a forest trail at night that would briefly go within sight of an active residence, it was so nice to pull out a covert nose Cyan Photon and point it almost straight down where one is just about to walk. Being mindful of wind drift, neither humans or their dogs would be aware of our passing. Just want to quietly pass, letting them enjoy the evening as well.
I responded to this type of post of yours in the past Kitro, as I find it to be one of the coolest flashlight related stories I've heard. Quietly following a dog out of the woods and using just enough warm light to get you both where you're going.

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is customer service.
When you say "amber" is it actually a yellow led or orange? I feel like I had a yellow in the past that was more amber looking than the orange but I'm not certain.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've still got a few of those Yuji's left too. The group buy(s) were a thousand or so. I made many, many trips to the post office, lol.
Those were great group buys you did. I may still have a few as well (4500K I think?). I should've bought more!