Physical make overs

centerfield

Newly Enlightened
Hayes: You seem very confident and that too goes along way with women!
I'm also with you on the spray on tan thing. Orange is bad, streaks are even worse. Luckily for me I have a dark complexion and don't have to stay in the sun very long to tan.
I know this thread was originally about outward appearance, but I feel I should say...Again, from a woman's perspective. Looks only go so far with us. An average looking guy who carries himself with great confidence is not only more attractive than a cocky buff, tan guy but will also have better luck with women! No, nice guys don't always finish last...usually, but not always (smile)

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a tan can look good, but I also think it is a fashion trend like everything else and goes in and out of style. It was mandatory in the 80's to have a deep tan. Now a moderate tan is much more common and being fair is ok, too. In the 18th century, having a tan was in very bad taste and a mark of the lower class. Check out Renee Zelwiger, Nicole Kidman or lots of other stars to see that fair can be fashionable. I think if you embrace being pale, you will be on the cutting edge of the next big fashion trend. And you will be preserving your health at the same time.

And by the way, the fake tan industry has been making progress and there are now good fake tans as well as bad ones. I don't recommend the bad ones.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
centerfield said:
From a woman's perspective, a guy is a lot easier to look at when he is not white as a powdered doughnut; however, just like anything else moderation is the key.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that pale, pasty skin doesn't look that attractive, and yes, moderation is the key. It's just that melanoma (and what it can bring with it) ain't that great-looking either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif And regarding premature aging, I knew one fellow who always had that typical bronzed, George- Hamilton-California look, and he looked like he was in his 60s when he was only in his 40s.

Glad to see that there's a sense of moderation about the tanning issue.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a powder white person, at least til this weekend when I was burned a few times at the nascar race at rir. Thats a story for another post.

Although my face and hands are red and my skin is pealing off my face, the fact I wore a black shirt with the company logo on it today got me quite a few responses from the older age range of female employees. I normally wear a dress shirt either white, pink, blue, tan, olive green and the black one with the company logo. I find for the most part, the bus drivers say I look good in a pink shirt. I do not know if that is sinscere or a back handed comment. I would wear white shirts, but then it would look like I wore the same shirt day after day. We have a business casual dress code at work.

I too think I will try that tan in a can thing and next time i go to a nascar race and its overcast I will take a tip in some sun creme.

You are correct about resting between working out to look muscular. I am working with weights and some aerobics and went from shorter 20 minute a few times a day to an hour twice a day. Man, my somewhat shapely legs became flat and featureless. Sure they were still firm, but they lost the contours they had the week before. I ma not making that mistake again. Also, you should increase your protein intake or take a protein supplement too, to build muscle. Myself, I notice on a weekly bases difference or I look slightly bigger. I started with 3 pound weights 3 months ago and am now at 12.5 pound weights. My legs really balloon up the first few months of this year, now they seem to have peaked. I was worried there that my legs would be too big for my pants. After working out, they were, but would go done some afterwards.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I'm generally a pasty looking person also. Some people carry that off very well, particularly younger women with fair, creamy complexions. I know a few women of Irish descent wo have particularly beautiful skin and a tan would probably not work as well for them as it would for the general population.

I guess one's complexion and what degree of tanning looks good on them depends a great deal on one's underlying skin tone, hair color, and probably some less tangible things.

I also agree with Centerfield that a person's attitude and how they carry/present themselves can be every bit as important (and sometimes more so) then how they look. Me personally, I have a short fuse for arrogant jerks. I much prefer a person with a sense of humility about them.