PLEASE help the animals

Empath

Flashaholic
Highly critical and disruptive tangential discussion moved to new thread.

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
bump.gif
bump.gif
bumpit.gif
bumpit.gif

help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
half my extended family works or volunteers for our local humane society in one way or another :) I just got this email from them with a report of their latest truckload of supplies that went to MS to help. If you live near coastal Georgia you can feel free to contact the Savannah Humane Society with donations of materials, money, gift cards to walmart or whatever, also check your own local chapter of the humane society. As wonderful as the USA wide organizations are, smaller organizations like your local folks often mean less overhead and more of the money might make it through. Here's the email I just got from them:

FRIENDS OF ANIMALS OF THE COASTAL EMPIRE

Sept. 14, 2005

Re: Update on 1st Truck to Mississippi
For Hurricane Katrina Relief Effort

Hi Everyone;

As most of you know our 1 st truck of animal medical relief supplies, carrying approximately $25,000.00 of medicines such as antibiotics, anti diarrhea, eye meds & washes, medical supplies such as bandages, splints, pads, adhesive tapes, haz mat waste containers, syringes, etc. Left Savannah headed for Hattiesburg, MS and Jackson, MS on Monday. They drove through the night and arrived in Hattiesburg in the wee hours, early on Tuesday. Dr. Karla Houston, Veterinarian/ Professor of Epidemiology from Mississippi State University, heads the Veterinary Emergency Services, team for the Veterinary Medical Association there in Hattiesburg at the site. She met the truck and I have spoken with her several times since by phone. She told me that our truck was the most organized, packed so that items could go into immediate use with out further sorting, and had more of exactly what they needed of ALL of the trucks that she had received, including HUSU, FEMA, & Vet. Association. We got there just in time, she said they were on the last bottle of penicillin and out of large wrap bandages; but we got there with boxes full! They put many of our items directly into use, as you will see in the attached photos of the wounded, horse that came in. They were running out of horse quality hay also, so our hay went directly in feeding. Although the USDA was expected to arrive with a truck loaded with hay on Tuesday also, thank goodness. The hay problem is that when the storm surge covered the land and barns etc. All of the areas hay is contaminated with saltwater and mud. Many of the horses now being rescued are stuck in that muck which is now drying around them, making them unable to get out or move. Mr. Kurt Crookshank the shelter director in Jackson echoed the same story.
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) has arrived with volunteers that are going out on rescue, helping to feed, clean, and exercise the animals, so that the vets can do more important work. They are out in the devastated areas all day searching and rescuing and bringing back 100 to 200 animals of all kinds in the early evening to EACH LOCATION, that's 200 to 400 animals per day! They do not have an exact count, for obvious reasons; it is in the 3000 to 4000 range at each location! Contrary to many careless rumors abounding on the internet, they have had to euthanized ONLY 1 ANIMAL; it was in too bad a shape and too much pain to be helped.
Now, here is our 1st NEW LIST OF THEIR NEEDS:
Large wide stretchy bandages
Large wide gauze
Digital thermometers
Telfa Pads and bandages (the non stick kind)
Horse supplies – halters, leads
Horse treats
Sign & Label making materials – must be waterproof ***
Rabbit & Guinea Food & Treats
Bagged Cedar shavings
Penicillin
Paper Towels – Paper Shop Towels – heavy duty type
Puppy training pads

Other needs:

Copy & printer Paper
Plastic Laminators Sizes: 2" x 4" & 8" x 11" (used to make waterproof cage & name tags)
Magic Markers – Must be waterproof
** Prepaid Gift Cards to Wal- Mart or Office Depot ** so they can buy ink cartridges for printers, faxes, paper & small items. I understand that these stores have reopened & are not too far away from the site and can do some limited delivering to them.

We delivered a check to them for $5,000.00 on Tuesday. We are special going to order some additional medical supplies and things that they need, as soon as I get the specifications from them.

Still please keep trying to find out if anyone wants to adopt and animal. I have been in contact with the HSUS director on the sites. They hope to begin posting photos from these 2 sites in the next 4 or 5 days. They have some photos up already but not from these locations; I think they are from New Orleans. To dispel some other rumors that I have heard floating about. My understanding from these vets is that well over 80% of the animals that they have were owned pets and farm animals, many of which were vaccinated and spayed and neutered, etc. THEY WERE NOT STRAYS OR UNSOCIALIZED ANIMALS. EVERY ANIMAL THAT COMES IN, THAT EVENING IS GIVEN AND EXAMINATION BY A LISCENSED VETERINARIAN AND DOCUMENTED. Obviously, these animals are in shock and are scared to death, from what they have been through and now in crowded conditions in the company of strangers, any are injured. But I understand that there have been no outbreaks of waterborne disease in these animals in these locations to deal with.

THANKS SOOOOO MUCH FOR EVERYONE'S HELP FOR DONATIONS< PASSING THE WORD<AND SUPPORT.

Cheers to some very good people!

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread, esp. for all animal lovers.

I made my donations to: http://www.hsus.org/ (Humane Society of U.S.)

and to: http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals)

With all the 1000s of issues, controversies, and needs arising out of Katrina, I don't want the animals to be the forgotten ones.

Thanks, ChocolateLab33, for starting this thread.

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks.gif
to all of the kind people here on CPF who have donated to help the animals. I don't just give when a disaster strikes, I donate all year around. I'm a big fan of Midwest Lab Rescue. I LOVE LABBIES!!!

thanks.gif
for all of your kind words too! Let's keep this going!

Lisa
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif