Pocket Rockets - variations of the Pelican M6

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have finally gotten around to comparing a few modded PM6 lights. They are the:
<ul type="square">[*]PM6/BB750/X3T (Luxeon V)
[*]PM6/1.6A/TWOK (Luxeon III) and
[*]PM6/1.1A/TWOK (Luxeon III)
[/list]
The first measurement was hotspot brightness, measure at 1 meter.
<ul type="square">[*]PM6/BB750/X3T: ~1800 lux
[*]PM6/1.6A/TWOK: ~2000 lux
[*]PM6/1.1A/TWOK: ~1600 lux
[/list]
The next comparison was a beam shot at ~15 feet to the top of the stairs. Oh, the only light on in the room is the TV and a 18watt flourescent about 25' away. The X3T illuminates the wall very well in this range. The TWOKs were also nice and white but boy, was the spot small!

PM6compare1a.jpg
PM6compare1b.jpg
PM6compare1c.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next up was a trip outdoors. I took several shots of a nearby fence with the 3 lights and again, the spot sizes tell the story. Surprisingly though, the amount of light from the 1.1A TWOK and the 1.6A TWOK was not that different!

PM6compare2a.jpg
PM6compare2b.jpg
PM6compare2c.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The next series of shots are of the tree directly behind the fence. There is also a tree about 40' away behind the first tree. In real life, the 3 lights also illuminated the far tree but in different degree. The TWOKs did show up more tree but as expected, the spot was quite small.

PM6compare3a.jpg
PM6compare3b.jpg
PM6compare3c.jpg

CONCLUSION: Well.... I am still partial to the beam spread of the X3T (Luxeon Vs in general). At a distance of up to ~50-60 feet, I cannot fault it. The hotspot from the Luxeon IIIs however was a bit tight for me. It does throw it further but.... tooooo small /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif If only Lumileds would release a Luxeon III based multi-die 10+ watt emitter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif (You heard it here first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

jtice

Flashaholic
Very nice work hotty !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I like the places you choose to take the shots at.

You like those PM6 mods dont ya? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
hotbeam said:

Surprisingly though, the amount of light from the 1.1A TWOK and the 1.6A TWOK was not that different!

[/ QUOTE ]

?? This is surprising? You are comparing overdriven with grossly overdriven. It is well documented that returns become dimenishing as LEDs are overdriven.
BTW, very nice beamshots. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
From what I have seen on CPF,,, and my own experiences, I really dont think it is worth it to go much over 1 amp to a LuxIII.
You just dont get much more light for the huge lose in runtime.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is great! Thanks, Hotbeam! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Those stairwell shots are illustrative in a very practical way.

Britt

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I echo hotbeam's sentiments. I had a TX1K McLux PR and still have a V2T PM6, both at 700ma. I know I would've gotten more light out of the TX1K if I'd driven it closer to 1a, but even so the beam wasn't as useful. The spot was fine but the direct spill was too bright and I felt the photons were just wasted. Additionally I like narrow spots for illuminating distances as long as my immediate surroundings are not lit - in other words the spill was distracting and tended to ruin my night vision.

With the 5w/PR combo you get a semi-flood (similar to a PT Surge I think) that is more useful and seems to have a diminished spill.

Jon

PeterB

Enlightened
Nice comparison Howard! Are you sure about your Lux readings? The X3T should be much lower, than the TWAK's.

Jarhead

Banned
Another explaination could be that the emitter temp is going up with the increased drive, and the light output is dropping like it should, just like the datasheet says...

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
ticeey: TY. I am /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif now a 2x123 size flashlight convert! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Yeah, real life shots!

Doug: Well surprising from the fact that a 45% increase in current only resulted in 25% increase in flux... I was hoping for 30% /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. Yes, yes, yes... I am aware of the effect of diminishing returns but was just hoping for more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ticeey: Looks like 1.1/1.2A is the go.

BC: TY Britt. I enjoyed taking those photos. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jon: LVs still rule for me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif If you like spot with little spill, you really should try the ~1A drive into the LIII.

PeterB: Hi brethren /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Remember the LV was a X3T!

Jarhead: You are absolutely right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
your camera is not locked setting right? because the TWOK's look brighter than the X3T.

Nice pics.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
My PM6 has a DB400 R2H in a McModule, UCL lens and a modified Kroll clickie switch. One very bright 1W light with a very tight beam!

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ails: The TWOKs are brighter than the X3T as its hotspot is more intense.

Roy: Oooohh.... a 1 watter in a PR, that'd be the same as an underdriven LIII. The spot is a bit small for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hottie, if that is correct then your readings must be incorrect?

[ QUOTE ]
PM6/BB750/X3T: ~1800 lux

PM6/1.6A/TWOK: ~2000 lux

PM6/1.1A/TWOK: ~1600 lux

[/ QUOTE ]

Kiessling

Flashaholic
howie ... you are right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
5W in PR gives the best beam pattern for everything but long range illumination, and with a high-powered X3T you can even have a look further down the road ...
5W rulez !!!
now if they only would increase the life of those beasts ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
bernie

hideo

Enlightened
know this is the mod thread, but i have to say that the production 1W M6 I just received is pretty amazing, even compared to my V2T McModule ... I'd post some comparison shots, but I'm (and everyone else) wrestling with Imagestation at the moment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

hideo

Burnt_Retinas

Enlightened
Hotbeam,

It's nice to see real outdoor shots, not just lighting up the ceiling stuff.

Might want to check the focus of the 3W though. Seems the readings don't corrolate to visual perception of increased brightness but tighter hotspot (indoor shtos particularly).

BTW 3,700 lux here from 3W TWOK @ 1.2A. As a side note, also tried at 1.5A and gave just on 4k lux - not worth the increase in current drain/decreased runtime as per your conclusions, not to mention the hot M6 after only 10 mins boosted from 1 X 1765 Li-Ion!.

Should I or should I not - my last 5W X3T?

Chris

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rookie: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[bSnail:[/b] Not sure what you are getting at. Those measurements are what my meter tells me. And as you know, LIIIs have a brigther hotspot than the LVs. The lux readings support that. Perhaps the absolute figures might be lower than yours but the relative figures should be reasonably accurate? Please enlighten /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif me...

Bernie: Concur concur concur. LV's rulez /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I guess no one has picked it up in my first post but I let out a little :secret:... the next generation of Luxeons from Lumileds *may* be a multiple-die HIGH power LIII. Timeframe, EOY. That would make us both very happy I think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

Hideo: Send me the pics. I'll host them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Burnt: Yeah... those shots involve a bit of work, ie. open door and step outside /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You may be right with the focus but TBH, "I'll get around to it" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Maybe you can do it for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Yeah, looks like we've hit the amp/lux limit, unlike the LVs where extra current gave more % increase in lux! Your last X3T... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banned2.gif Well, the well is well and truly dry unless something remarkable happens so.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am getting at the fact that even though you say (and the pics show) that both the twoks (1.6A and 1.1A) are brighter than the x3t,

your readings say that x3t (1800lux) is brighter than [email protected] (1600lux).