Polarion PH-50 Main Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Paul and Adam :thumbsup:

You guys did a very good job on the PH50 review. Thank you!!

Still waiting for mine to touch down here in Singapore :)

Anybody.... got both Barnburner and PH50 to do battle?

You're welcome Ghost. Hope you get yours soon!

karlthev has a BB and will also have his PH50 on Friday.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
MN21 vs. PH50

Camera: Canon SD1000
ISO Setting: 200
Lens Aperture: F2.8
Exposure: 1/8 Second
White Balance: Auto
Moon Illumination: 59 Percent
Rangefinder: TruePulse 200
Distance: 65 Yards

MN21 off Moli 2xIMR18650 | Polarion Helios PH50
mn21-ph50.jpg

ISO Setting: 80
Exposure: 0.8 Second
White Balance: Tungsten
Distance: 30 Yards

MN21 off Moli 2xIMR18650
mn21-30yds-tungsten.jpg

Exposure: 0.2 Second

Polarion Helios PH50
ph50-30yds-tungsten.jpg

Brightness Levels Increased 25%

MN21 off Moli 2xIMR18650 + 25% | Polarion Helios PH50 + 25%
mn21-ph50-25.jpg

Exposure: 0.8 Second

MN21 off Moli 2xIMR18650 + 25%
mn21-30yds-tungsten-25.jpg

Exposure: 0.2 Second

Polarion Helios PH50 + 25%
ph50-30yds-tungsten-25.jpg

Last edited:

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone in the SoCal/L.A. area? Mtbkndad and a few of us may be doing an HID shoot on May 10. I've got a BB but not a PH50.

Orange County born & raised but this SoCal get together is a long way from home now. :( Oh well, I hope you folks have fun! :party: One thing is puzzling me. :thinking: ..... L.A. aint nothin but asphalt, buildings and wall to wall people and wall to wall.... walls :banghead: so what in the world does a person do with a PH50 when they can`t get 2 feet away from another person or 10 feet from a building or structure??? Well, I am remembering LA back 20 years ago so 2 feet back then has shrunk to about .000000???:thinking: ...... :huh2: Are ya`ll livin inside each other? :wtf: Oh, :ohgeez:so you need the bright light to see who has gotten under your skin :hairpull: and keep others at arms length as well! :twak: PH50 works! :rock:Hehe! :tinfoil:

Seriously, hope ya`ll have a great time and let us know what you learn comparing HID`s, please. :) Oh, I will edit this silly post if you folks would like me to. :p

Last edited:

toby_pra

Flashaholic
WOW very nice Beamshots. This PH50 is friggin bright and to me it seems
to be much more brighter than the PH40. :rolleyes:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to see what I may be able to do in terms of beamshots for the PH50 vs the BB. I won't have the PH until late this Friday night (I hope!) and I'm watching the weather reports and, and....well, I'll do my best but, no promises I'm afraid.

Karl

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thought ya`ll might enjoy seeing this picture of a bright & shiny Polarion. :cool: Unfortunetly, it`s not my PH40. :( A CPF member sent me this picture when he recieved the light about a year ago. Man, I would love to get my hands on a Titanium version and give it a Kenster spit shine! :grin2: I have been trying to get my hands on a Polarion for 2-1/2 months but????? :shakehead Oh well, maybe someday someone will take my money and give me one? :candle: :anyone:

:mecry:
ChromePH40.jpg

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Litbobber, I sent you a private message (PM).

Thanks and welcome to CPF.

Curtis

Patriot

Flashaholic
I love the polished PH-40 Kenster! I truly does look like you. I'll have to save that picture too.

P.S. Ken, don't be afraid to use a few emoticons to express yourself now and then!! :p:nana::D

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Adam, thanks from those additional beamshots. I'm really enjoying checking those out at the moment. The +25% exposures seem to do a really great job of representing the beam in person. My pictures were more of a relative comparison where yours are more accurate or true to life. Great job with your pictures.

:goodjob:

azkey

Newly Enlightened
Hello All. forgive me if I breach any forum etiquette as this is my first post. Although I wasn't part of the group buy, I did just get the PH-50 directly from Ken and had to share my excitement. No photos to post (yet), no technical information to pass along, just an everyday dad who bought a bright light for hiking, cave exploring and camping in Arizona.

I know most of you are diehard flashaholics, so I thought you might enjoy a newbie's reaction to remind you of days gone by. When we unpacked the light, my eight year old son simply said - Oh My God. When we hiked to the top of a small foothill and lit up the entire neighborhood, all I could vocalize was - Holy Sh*t. Then the community security guy started driving towards our hiking spot. Do you know how cool it is for a guy nicknamed "the softer side of Sears" to have a security guard check you out because of a flashlight?

Anyway, I hope to post some photos in the near future. My goal is to hike back down to Havasu Falls in the Grand Canyon, light it up at night, and shoot some HD video.

For anyone on the fence about purchasing, let me just say that this light, and Ken at Polarion, are absolutely incredible. Ken spent some quality time on the phone with me. He probably deals day in and out with law enforcement, military folks, search and rescue people... but he treated this newbie with respect and professionalism and guided my decision. Ken is the kind of person you want to succeed - great experience.

I'll close out my first post by letting you all know that I both admire and curse some of you. I first found the forum over a year ago and took advantage of some of the reviews on the Surefire U2. I just decided it was time to carry a light everyday and was looking for guidance. After buying that, I happened to be watching a play with my high school daughter - she was reviewing it and making notes. The low setting on the U2 was bright enough to disturb people around us. Back to the forum and I soon owned a Surefire Kroma. Of course, you all continued to haunt me. As I prepared for my second hike into the Grand Canyon, I knew I could not descend with the Petzl headlamp I used on the first trip. That's when I discovered the Lupine Wilma headlamp - had to get that. Lastly, on two recent trips, the need arose to turn night into day and I couldn't do it... so now I own the PH-50.

I am sick - really. And it's not over.

I'm like a kid on Christmas morning waiting for Surefire to release the Optimus. And I'm thinking of getting the Surefire E1B Backup - are you ready for why??? I think I need a small, dressy EDC for those times I have to wear a suit or other business attire.

Are you all happy?

Patriot

Flashaholic
:welcome:

Good story azkey! Thanks for posting and I'm happy that you're so in love with your new superlight. That would be great to see some of your beamshots and pictures when you get around to it. I'm also happy that you have been converted into a flashaholic by guys like me. I've always been a closet flashaholic myself but it didn't get real bad until I started reading posts here at CPF.

Now, maybe I'll take my PH50 out and see if I can get into some trouble..:p

P.S. I went scouting for place near my house for some decent longer range shots with the Polarions. I found a couple and will being using at least one of them tomorrow night. 300-500-ish yards depending on where I go. More to come tomorrow night! :naughty:

Last edited:

dandruff

Enlightened
I'll close out my first post by letting you all know that I both admire and curse some of you. I first found the forum over a year ago and took advantage of some of the reviews on the Surefire U2. I just decided it was time to carry a light everyday and was looking for guidance. After buying that, I happened to be watching a play with my high school daughter - she was reviewing it and making notes. The low setting on the U2 was bright enough to disturb people around us. Back to the forum and I soon owned a Surefire Kroma. Of course, you all continued to haunt me. As I prepared for my second hike into the Grand Canyon, I knew I could not descend with the Petzl headlamp I used on the first trip. That's when I discovered the Lupine Wilma headlamp - had to get that. Lastly, on two recent trips, the need arose to turn night into day and I couldn't do it... so now I own the PH-50.

You don't sound like a newbie to me!! im envious of your great collection!

james l.

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys. Reporting from Malaysia.

I just got my new PH50 and new X1 couple of days ago. The X1 are truly flawless. I just can't imagine how they could squeeze 4000lumens of light into such a small frame weighing around 1.6kilos only.

Anyway I have a couple of questions regarding the PH50. Anyone notice the battery life of PH60 is significatnly reduced? What kind of time are you guys getting? On my fifth discharge and full recharge, I'm getting around 70mins full charge to blackout time. Anyone getting 80mins with PH40? And I notice my battery is still 4,400mah rating. Not the revised unit. Anyone's got the latest battery pack? And if so, what time are you getting?

Second thing I notice with my PH50 is, there is a faint ringing/high pitch tone around the ballast area whenever it is switched on. There is no such pitch tone on my X1. Is this a defect? Or you guys are getting this pitch as well?

Its really hard to describe. Sort of like a constant high pitch buzz being emitted. Its not audible at arms length, more of like 2 to 3 fts away from you ear. I'm only concern as I thought it might have been a malfunction or production defect?

Thanks guys!

I will be comparing it with the Beast II tonight! :naughty:

SwissT

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Am getting around 65 minutes runtime with 4400 battery, new battery will be available some time in future.

My PH50 also makes ringing sound,I believe this to be normal.

Have fun

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys. Reporting from Malaysia.

I just got my new PH50 and new X1 couple of days ago. The X1 are truly flawless. I just can't imagine how they could squeeze 4000lumens of light into such a small frame weighing around 1.6kilos only.

Awesome on the combo. You should post up some detailed pictures of the 2 next to each other. We all have pretty much always overlooked the X1 and went straight to the brightest so it would be cool to see more comparos and pictures of the 2 siblings together.

Anyway I have a couple of questions regarding the PH50. Anyone notice the battery life of PH60 is significatnly reduced? What kind of time are you guys getting? On my fifth discharge and full recharge, I'm getting around 70mins full charge to blackout time. Anyone getting 80mins with PH40? And I notice my battery is still 4,400mah rating. Not the revised unit. Anyone's got the latest battery pack? And if so, what time are you getting?

New battery capacity is not out yet. They are currently working on it as I type. Not sure of the ETA. The PH50 was tweaked at the last minute to use the same battery as the older PH40. The runtime is supposed to be around 60 min plus or minus 10%. You getting 70 min is a good thing with the battery configuration you have at this time.

Have you run down the X1? What are you getting there? How do you use each light. Interesting that you got one of each. So far, do you like one over the other? What about ergonomics etc. I know the X1 is much thicker than the PH50 but it is shorter than the PH50.

Second thing I notice with my PH50 is, there is a faint ringing/high pitch tone around the ballast area whenever it is switched on. There is no such pitch tone on my X1. Is this a defect? Or you guys are getting this pitch as well?

Its really hard to describe. Sort of like a constant high pitch buzz being emitted. Its not audible at arms length, more of like 2 to 3 fts away from you ear. I'm only concern as I thought it might have been a malfunction or production defect?

Thanks guys!

I will be comparing it with the Beast II tonight! :naughty:

The whine is standard on all PH40 and now also on the newer improved PH50. It is normal. No worries there. I have had other HIDs as well that also had the whine.

Looking forward to the photos against the Beast II tonight. That should be great shots to showcase the PH50 but more importantly to me is to see how it does against the little brother the X1. :)

Welcome to CPF and please keep the pictures and feedback coming.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Both of my PH's whine a little bit but the PH50 is slightly more noticeable. Normal operation as Cue003 stated.

Also, did you say that you were getting 70 minutes from your PH50? If so, that's really good because they were estimating 60 minutes from the PH50 with old style battery. I haven't run-time tested mine yet, but I'd be very happy with 70 minutes. That of course will only improve when the new batteries are released.

BVH

Flashaholic
I could barely hear the whine made by my PH40 when I had it. If you think the PH 40 (and PH50 - even though I have not heard it) whines, you should listen to the Barn Burner whine. While certainly not objectionable at all, it's there. Logic would tell me the higher the Wattage output of the ballast, the louder the whine.

My 300 Watt Locator's don't whine - or at least I can't hear any whine. It's probably due to the fact that the electronics are housed in a very thick aluminum housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.