Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donation of Remains to Science

• Indifferent - Undecided or an Alternative

• Total voters

darkwater

Newly Enlightened
Would like my ashes made into diamonds which will then be used in a superfast diamond based processer for my family computers. Or frozen and revived if the technology gets better (ie I wont be like the letuce in the freezer).

Brian

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I knew somebody that wanted to be creamated and then turned into a toliet and then installed in a bar bathroom when he croaked... gives new meaning to the term "**** on it!"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
fess up craig...that person was you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

as far as my own corpse, i really don't care...i won't be there...

AlphaTea

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
I'd like to have my ashes spread over the Chugach Mountains that border eastern Anchorage, Alaska. Beautiful, majestic peaks to look at and enjoy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Funny you should mention that. My will stipulates ashes at Matanuska glacier. I lived in Anchorage for 4 years back in the early 70's. God is surely from Alaska, the most beautiful place on earth.

[ QUOTE ]
Tomas said:
...I'm an organ donor, so if there are any usable parts, they are to be used, if possible, to someone's benefit.
Anything left over after parting out is to be cremated...

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup, same here!

[ QUOTE ]
flownosaj said:
Soylent Green, baby!
gives a new meaning to bite me.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]
Yah know what? I think I am going to give this further consideration /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
[/b]
Yah know what? I think I am going to give this further consideration

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's made out of people. Peeeeoplllle! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

-Jason
I'm a people person /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie33, and any others who are interested,

The Catholic Church does not (as an official policy) prohibit organ donation, but they may have an official policy against cremation. The problem of organ donation from a Catholic point of view (or I should say "from this Catholic's" point of view) is that most organs, to be useful, must be taken from a donor who is still alive. Alive and "brain-dead", I think the term is. There are exceptions: corneas can be taken from truly dead people, I think. But a kidney or liver or heart must be taken from a person whose heart is still pumping and whose lungs are still breathing.

The issue (for a Catholic) is this: we believe that we are only stewards of our bodies, of our minds, of our talents, --in short, God has given us everything. Catholics believe, for example, that suicide is wrong precisely because it is not up to us to decide when and how we are to leave this world. Thus, the problem with organ donation is that the person is "killed" from the donation. The person is still alive at the time of donation. I could elaborate on this, but this much is enough to point out where things get complicated for a Catholic. Please keep in mind that I do not mean to offend anyone, or start an argument, only to answer raggie33's question and add to the discussion.

Thus, the real issue over organ donation and cremation, (again, from the Catholic point of view) is that the Church teaches that on the Day of Judgement the souls of the deceased will be reunited with their bodies. We will be using our bodies again. Now, God, being Almighty can bring the matter back together regardless of what state it is in or where it has ended up. I don't think that this should be thought of as a gathering together of every single original atom, as from that point of view our bodies are continually being created anew. Yet, even so, in some mysterious way, the material, i.e. the body, IS important, and will be resurrected. That is why "good biomass" is taking up useful space in graveyards around the world. We reverence and care for the bodies of the deceased because they were, are, and will be, important and valuable. Catholics refrain from cremation because it is against the spirit of the Catholic teachings. If God says (through the Church) "you will need this again" it is not wise to burn it to ashes, in my humble opinion.

As for those who are of the opinion that it doesn't matter one way or another, and think that showing such regard for the body is silly, think of it this way: people often revere and cherish "keepsakes" from friends and relatives who have died. They are doing honor to the memory of the loved one in this way. In a similar, but much greater way, we are honoring the deceased in showing respect for the body. From a certain point of view it may be silly, I suppose, but think how you would feel if, just after your mother died in her hospital bed, someone hauled off and slapped her in the face. You would be shocked and outraged (I hope). It would be an offense against your mother. It is for this very reason that we are NOT allowed to treat a corpse as just another hunk of inanimate matter. From a purely "scientific" point of view, this may be a social prejudice, but from any human point of view it is more than a prejudice. The body must be respected after death, and everyone understands what is signified by laying flowers on someone's grave (or spitting on it.) "Soylent Green" only has the force that it does because of this truth.

PLEASE NOTE: I do not mean to criticise anyone's choice to be cremated or to be an organ donor! I only meant to point out some of the things that come to this Catholics mind when thinking about burial, cremation, and organ donation.

So, I voted for burial, no embalming, but burial and embalming would be acceptable.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
js--a lot of organ donation ideas changed with Vatican II. From what I know, there should be no problems at all with organ donation.
I believe that the info you have about the cremation is up to date with Vatican II as well.

It's true in the hospital about a dead person "just being a body." It almost made me sick when a doc had his med students "practicing" CPR on a deceased person who's family was right outside the pt's room, waiting to come in. The body was well beyond resuscitation--ribs and sturnum cracked so bad you could hear the grinding from across the room, and he justified it as they would need to know what it felt like. Well, yeah, but not when the family was there! How friggin insensitive...

That said, you can do whatever you want to your body--it's yours to use as you wish. But in planning your eventual demise, make sure that it's kosher with your loved ones. The funeral is not for the dead, but for the ones that live on...

-Jason

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jason,

There has never been a dogmatic pronouncement on the subject of organ donation, one way or another, and this goes for VII (as the whole council was non-dogmatic and made no pronouncements). That is, each Catholic is free to decide as he or she sees fit. I'm not sure what the situation is with cremation. Certainly, the Church has always discouraged cremation, but I don't know of any pronouncement on the subject.

Your hospital story is very upsetting! I didn't know that stuff like that went on. It was a teaching hospital, I presume? Still, that's just beyond the pale. The person just died and the family was waiting outside? And being kept waiting even longer so that students could practice on the body of the deceased? Sancta Maria, mater Dei, ora pro nobis pecatoribis, nunc et in hora mortis nostrae. Truly that is horrific.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
fess up craig...that person was you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
No, that wasn't me!!! I swear on a stack of {insert religious texts of choise here} it wasn't me!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
When I ran a BBS from the late 1980s to the late 1990s, he went by the handle "J.S. Bach" on it. And I think I have a picture of him somewhere from a multi-BBS get-together in the early 1990s - when BBSs were hot, before the internet took all our users away and shut most of us down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
[ QUOTE ]
AlphaTea said:
[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
I'd like to have my ashes spread over the Chugach Mountains that border eastern Anchorage, Alaska. Beautiful, majestic peaks to look at and enjoy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Funny you should mention that. My will stipulates ashes at Matanuska glacier. I lived in Anchorage for 4 years back in the early 70's. God is surely from Alaska, the most beautiful place on earth.

[/ QUOTE ]
--------------------
That's Matanuska Glacier in my avatar! I was going to post a larger pic of it, but Imagestation keeps crashing my system and is sooooo slow at times...

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
js said:
raggie33, and any others who are interested,

The Catholic Church does not (as an official policy) prohibit organ donation, but they may have an official policy against cremation. The problem of organ donation from a Catholic point of view (or I should say "from this Catholic's" point of view) is that most organs, to be useful, must be taken from a donor who is still alive. Alive and "brain-dead", I think the term is. There are exceptions: corneas can be taken from truly dead people, I think. But a kidney or liver or heart must be taken from a person whose heart is still pumping and whose lungs are still breathing.

The issue (for a Catholic) is this: we believe that we are only stewards of our bodies, of our minds, of our talents, --in short, God has given us everything. Catholics believe, for example, that suicide is wrong precisely because it is not up to us to decide when and how we are to leave this world. Thus, the problem with organ donation is that the person is "killed" from the donation. The person is still alive at the time of donation. I could elaborate on this, but this much is enough to point out where things get complicated for a Catholic. Please keep in mind that I do not mean to offend anyone, or start an argument, only to answer raggie33's question and add to the discussion.

Thus, the real issue over organ donation and cremation, (again, from the Catholic point of view) is that the Church teaches that on the Day of Judgement the souls of the deceased will be reunited with their bodies. We will be using our bodies again. Now, God, being Almighty can bring the matter back together regardless of what state it is in or where it has ended up. I don't think that this should be thought of as a gathering together of every single original atom, as from that point of view our bodies are continually being created anew. Yet, even so, in some mysterious way, the material, i.e. the body, IS important, and will be resurrected. That is why "good biomass" is taking up useful space in graveyards around the world. We reverence and care for the bodies of the deceased because they were, are, and will be, important and valuable. Catholics refrain from cremation because it is against the spirit of the Catholic teachings. If God says (through the Church) "you will need this again" it is not wise to burn it to ashes, in my humble opinion.

As for those who are of the opinion that it doesn't matter one way or another, and think that showing such regard for the body is silly, think of it this way: people often revere and cherish "keepsakes" from friends and relatives who have died. They are doing honor to the memory of the loved one in this way. In a similar, but much greater way, we are honoring the deceased in showing respect for the body. From a certain point of view it may be silly, I suppose, but think how you would feel if, just after your mother died in her hospital bed, someone hauled off and slapped her in the face. You would be shocked and outraged (I hope). It would be an offense against your mother. It is for this very reason that we are NOT allowed to treat a corpse as just another hunk of inanimate matter. From a purely "scientific" point of view, this may be a social prejudice, but from any human point of view it is more than a prejudice. The body must be respected after death, and everyone understands what is signified by laying flowers on someone's grave (or spitting on it.) "Soylent Green" only has the force that it does because of this truth.

PLEASE NOTE: I do not mean to criticise anyone's choice to be cremated or to be an organ donor! I only meant to point out some of the things that come to this Catholics mind when thinking about burial, cremation, and organ donation.

So, I voted for burial, no embalming, but burial and embalming would be acceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim, I had a couple pages of text typed, in response to this, however I decided not to post it. I believe that anything I'd have to say in response to this would be taken the wrong way and start a religious flame-war. The only reason I'm responding now is to make you aware that I did read your posting and respect your views and opinions.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
this_is_nascar,

Thank you very much for your consideration. I questioned how much and what to post. I wasn't sure how much would be appropriate, and perhaps I settled on a bit too much information! I don't know. I did try to make it clear that I was not out to start an argument or be critical of the views of others, even though I take a critical view. I hope that makes sense to people.

If anyone would like me to edit what I've said, feel free to PM me (and also this_is_nascar, I guess /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif [EDIT] because he quoted my entire post, so I can not edit that.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie33,

I have abolutely no intention of arguing or fighting with anyone. I sincerely desire to get along. I have a great deal of respect for the people here on CPF and I am honored to be a part of it. I am prone to argue and be insensitive, but I am also working very hard to change that tendency, and have been for years now. The going is very slow, unfortunately. But in this case I have no worries. I would sooner delete all my posts in this thread than be part of a fight or flame war about religion. That would be a rather ironic event, to my mind.

Empath

Flashaholic
Relax, Jim. There's not going to be arguments or flame wars. The only hint of such things are the expressions of concern that there might be.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
js said:
this_is_nascar,

Thank you very much for your consideration. I questioned how much and what to post. I wasn't sure how much would be appropriate, and perhaps I settled on a bit too much information! I don't know. I did try to make it clear that I was not out to start an argument or be critical of the views of others, even though I take a critical view. I hope that makes sense to people.

If anyone would like me to edit what I've said, feel free to PM me (and also this_is_nascar, I guess /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif [EDIT] because he quoted my entire post, so I can not edit that.

[/ QUOTE ]

NO, NO, NO. You missunderstood. I don't want you to edit anything. That's your post, your opinions and your right to post it. I respect that and would never suggest you change it. It's just that I have a different point of view as it relates to what you've posted, that's all.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
this_is_nascar,

I know that you did not want me to edit anything. I just offered in case anyone out there thought that I had somehow gone too far; gone beyond "opinions" somehow. Perhaps I was being overly careful in making that offer, but I'd rather err on that side than the other.

I understand that you have a different point of view, which you did not post out of a prudence to avoid an argument or flame war. I admire that. It is something I want to practice more myself. So that got me to thinking. "Gee...if this_is_nascar refrained from posting his opinions, perhaps I went too far in posting mine." But I never thought that you wanted me to change or delete my post. I just worried on my own account.