Powertools, Man

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope - you don't know what's happening there because you forgot to watch the whole video and placed your presumptive reasoning in the place of observation and practical logic.
The impact driver was able to withdraw the screw immediately following the non-impact driver twisting the piece of wood around, not to mention the users wrist. What's happening there is the difference between straight torque and the way an impact driver works.

No, whats happening here is youre alienating me with your obnoxious attitude and insubstantial posts..

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, there are some newer models that have this function. Makita and Bosch have one, I'm not sure about others. I'm unsure how practical it is exactly since you're always going to have more runout with an impact's hex chuck. With smaller screws feathering the triggers (which are pretty nice these days) is usually a better option. Drilling smaller holes with an impact only usually doesn't cause problems, since a sharp drill bit doesn't provide enough resistance for the impact mode to kick in most of the time. The only issue is finding a high quality hex-shaft drill bit that's long enough. The impact rated ones from dewalt work well though they're rather short, but if you just need a hole in a 2x and don't need it to look perfect a normal impact driver works fine.

My desire and concern about the ability to switch off the impacts on an impact driver was more because of experiences I've have when trying to remove or install a small machine screw or any type of screw for that matter, with a slot or Phillips bit with the impact kicking in and causing the bit to constantly slip off the screw. This happened a few times when I didnt have my drill handy and tried to use the impact driver instead. It would be much more practical and convenient to be able to switch it off occasionally.

**To dutch rudder: I wasnt even aware that Snap On made their own brand of drills and carpenter type power tools. I figured they might carry another brand on their trucks, like maybe Hilti or Milwaukee, but didnt know they made their own, or carried their own brand name in these tools.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dont think the impact is the problem with slipping out of slotted and philips screws. I find its more my aim. Its especially difficult driving slotted since any variation from parallel with the screw will result in the bit lifting one side from the slot, and then slipping out, not as critical with philips, but still possible. keep it parallel and keep up constant pressure,(even if with one finger only! ;) ) and it shouldnt slip, the impact should help, if anything, not hinder...like using a hand impact driver with a hammer to break a stuck nut or screw..
..and I try to use square drive screws, very easy to not slip!

added: I have a 30 year old battery powered AEG drill with built in clutch adjustment, but I just found this; add-on clutch for drivers, stick it in the chuck, new to me! not adjustable apparently, though:

The DEWALT DWHJHLD Impact Clutch Tip Holder has an internal clutch mechanism that delivers 5X longer bit Life. It has a robust shank for use in an Impact Driver or Screw Gun. It has an on and off switch that allows the user to determine torque delivered to work piece. Turn ON to minimize bit stripping, bit breaking and screw stripping, turn OFF to fully utilize the torque of your impact driver or screw gun.
$10 bucks. at the 'zon.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Snapon's lithium... yes- they are expensive. yes they probably aren't needed for normal use that most people need. BUT- when efficiency equals profits made, tools have no price on the cost of business.

These look great. As you point out, price is only one part of value. Do we know if they make these themselves?

The only issue is finding a high quality hex-shaft drill bit that's long enough. The impact rated ones from dewalt work well though they're rather short, but if you just need a hole in a 2x and don't need it to look perfect a normal impact driver works fine.

Sounds like a plan.

Hilti is making very reliable, professional machines and became the synonym for hammer drills in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

In the US market, the US brands show everything they have. Makita seems to have only a fraction of their total catalog. Not sure about Bosch. A perspective on the broader EU market would be awesome. It looks like some of the US brands are there, but presumably as also rans.

My desire and concern about the ability to switch off the impacts on an impact driver was more because of experiences I've have when trying to remove or install a small machine screw or any type of screw for that matter, with a slot or Phillips bit with the impact kicking in and causing the bit to constantly slip off the screw.

Screws are the whole point of impacts. The back and forth of the action is supposed to enhance grip on the screw, reducing spin outs and stripping. Maybe its an early model or a weird design?

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
No, whats happening here is youre alienating me with your obnoxious attitude and insubstantial posts..
If you go read both of our posts again you'll see that you jumped to the wrong conclusion and I simply corrected it.

The DEWALT DWHJHLD Impact Clutch Tip Holder has an internal clutch mechanism that delivers 5X longer bit Life. It has a robust shank for use in an Impact Driver or Screw Gun. It has an on and off switch that allows the user to determine torque delivered to work piece. Turn ON to minimize bit stripping, bit breaking and screw stripping, turn OFF to fully utilize the torque of your impact driver or screw gun. $10 bucks. at the 'zon.
Looks pretty neat and I suppose if you're already using a bit holder this could take its place while adding to the life of your bits too. Do you already have one of these?

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
That bit holder as far as I know is mostly for guys doing hvac or other projects with lots of metal on metal fastening, it soaks up just enough of the excess impact when the screw bottoms out to prevent stripping threads accidentally(I'm sure you still can if you try on thinner sheet metal). You'll find with the impact rated bit holders, you'll usually need a pair of pliers to remove the insert bits, they hold TIGHT to make sure they never fall out unintentionally.

DutchR

Newly Enlightened
These look great. As you point out, price is only one part of value. Do we know if they make these?

The little guns are made in (gulp) china, but the big guns (3/8 and 1/2) are built in the US. my buddy is a snap on dealer, if y'all want a "cash deal" I can get you hooked up on any snap on goodies you want. Just give me a part number or description and ill get you hooked up with him.

honestly though, your hard pressed to find an electronic piece not made in freakin china. It sucks, but the quality IS there in these guns.

Admin note: Take not that your handle has been changed to something more family friendly - Empath

Last edited by a moderator:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
These look great. As you point out, price is only one part of value. Do we know if they make these themselves?

Sounds like a plan.

In the US market, the US brands show everything they have. Makita seems to have only a fraction of their total catalog. Not sure about Bosch. A perspective on the broader EU market would be awesome. It looks like some of the US brands are there, but presumably as also rans.

Screws are the whole point of impacts. The back and forth of the action is supposed to enhance grip on the screw, reducing spin outs and stripping. Maybe its an early model or a weird design?

You must be referring to large, deep Phillips or square drive screws, because if you are using a standard slotted bit to try screwing in a relatively small machine screw with a fairly shallow slot, while the impacts start kicking in and vibrating the bit and twisting back and forth at high speed, its almost impossible to keep the bit in the slot!

Last edited:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had much more luck driving a slotted wood screw (of the 2-3 inch variety) than with a drill. Once the screw is started the impact makes it easy to stay lined up with the slot. For fine machine screws I'd agree that yes, most impacts are too much tool for the job. At that level a hand screwdriver or lightweight, clutch equipped driver is best. I've used my impact with screws down to P1 size, I wouldn't try any smaller than that unless I was just trying to remove one, and then with some trigger finessing only.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
The little guns are made in (gulp) china, but the big guns (3/8 and 1/2) are built in the US.

We'll take every bit we can get.

And i think that also buying habits have a big impact on market shares in the respective markets too. What "Buy US" is in USA is "Buy German" at this end here, not only for powered tools but also for other machinery and hand tools.

The the US culture is based on other cultures. Like the UK seems to be into financial and related services, which we are, while Germany seems to have a deep manufacturing culture, which we also have. The later seems to be waning, though not without a fight.

start naming names! I didnt think they were that light either ie. 3 lbs or under..

So my DCF895 has arrived. For reasons only a marketer could understand, its not available with one of each battery (only 2 of either), so finding a dealer that would mix was a challenge, the result is worth it. Each battery size gives the tool a different personality, just from the difference in weight.

Drills can be shifted to a lower gear to get more torque. First impression, more torque with impacts requires more speed (kind of like small high revving engines).

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a Ryobi one+ drill kit a while back, and the drill is great - it came with two small batteries (1.4ah)
Then I bought the HID spotlight, then a circular saw, then a Impact Wrench (1/2" drive rattlegun), then the jigsaw, mitre saw, planer, chainsaw, sander, a bunch of batteries, hedge trimmer, the 6 bay charger and the little impact driver (1/4" hex drive).

Honestly the tool I use most is the impact driver - it makes doing up screws so easy, it's almost fun - it can pop the heads of some screws though
i typically use the drill for pilot holes, then just drive the screws in with the impact driver.
the chainsaw is a bit slow, but works, and is still quicker than an bowsaw or axe.
i keep the impact wrench in the car for changing tyres - with a 4 wheels laid out, and a trolley jack I can change all 4 tyres on my car in about 6 mins, another 2 mins to go round and torque them up with a torque wrench and I'm done !
the hedge trimmer works as well as any corded unit I have tried, and I don't have to drag a cable across the yard and worry about severing it.

The Xenon light is a pretty cool light if you have the batteries and charger, otherwise it's a bit pricey - it throws a nice floody beam that will illuminate most of a footy oval (150odd meters in a nice wide beam)

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Had a very specific job to do today & my cordless drill was worthless:rant:,,,so enough is enough!
Ordered up a HITACHI DV18DBL drill {Brushless motor, optical switch}

Has both clutch & hammer/impact functionality

http://www.hitachipowertools.com/index/main-navigation/tools.aspx?d=1,6,37&p=816

dv18dvl_l_11212.gif

edit: went w/ the DV18DBL instead

Last edited: