• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Pre-payment for the HAIII black SF-III. ENDED!

Flyhigh

Newly Enlightened
Re: Pre-payment for the HAIII black SF-III.

Hi guys,

thanks for the answers about batteries. The runtime on high with an Ostar 15 W must be very short though, any of you first run guys care to give us an informed opinion?

Delboy: Thanks for the heads up.

I like my lights floody and I am thinking about an Ostar 15 w but before I pull the trigger I wonder if anybody has some info about the SST-50? Is it more like the Ostar 15 w or more like the SMT, why is there a 75 Usd premium, is it only because it's difficult to get or because it's actually "better" in some ways? :confused:

Cheers

K

Metatron

Banned

Hi guys,

thanks for the answers about batteries. The runtime on high with an Ostar 15 W must be very short though, any of you first run guys care to give us an informed opinion?

I like my lights floody and I am thinking about an Ostar 15 w but before I pull the trigger I wonder if anybody has some info about the SST-50? Is it more like the Ostar 15 w or more like the SMT, why is there a 75 Usd premium, is it only because it's difficult to get or because it's actually "better" in some ways? :confused:

Cheers

K
Mike hand picks his leds so only the best are used, rumor has it that he is having an issue with the sst-50's, perhaps he will chime in on the matter...

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi guys,

Cheers

K

AFAIR, the SST50 is a 3V LED and Mike must develop and install a buck driver to be able to use it, the actual driver is boost only.

The beam will be tighter with the SST50, the floodiest is the Ostar 15W, I'll stick to that one and would recommend it to everybody in search of more flood. The reflector gives semi-flood and there is another one available for pure flood, I'll stick to the normal one.

I haven't checked the runtime of the Ostar SMT yet. I played around with the light, made comparisons to other lights with 2 x IMR16340 inside, when I was done, the cells were at 3.8V, runtime was probably about 10 minutes. I think 20 minutes with 2 IMR on high, not much more. Should be 30 minutes with 2 li-ion and no idea about the 18650...

As for the supply for the 15W, Mike said in his first posting that the 18650 is not recommended and Metatron explained why. If the draw is 2A, you should be able to run 2xRCR123 though instead of 2 x IMR16340? I won't do it, but the message seems to be : Use two cells to get a higher voltage. The question is if the output is higher on 2 x IMR or not.

The SST50 can surely be driven by an 18650 li-ion (2,8A), there are other lights that use that configuration. I'm not sure about the output, the Ostar SMT will put out more and it's a hell of an emitter in the SF-III!!!

ARC mania

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry I've been away a bit being jammed up with shipping out the last of the SF-III's from the earlier run and getting bombarded by both PM's and e-mails............

I will have some updates with photos in the next day in regards to the black HA III SF-III run as well as having to set a cut off date for pre-payment.

ARC mania

ARC mania

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been working through Christmas and will work through New Years to get the remaining SF-III's from the earlier run in the mail. This has not been easy. Due to the holidays, mail has been jammed up, the line at the post office is extremely long. I just haven't had the time to update as often as I want. Not enough hours in a day. I took a little time off today and thought I should update this thread. Here are pictures of a newer SF-III (the one from the recent run.) with a new tailcap. Its a bit longer than the original and recall in the past about several members asking about a lanyard hole. With the current shorter design, it wasn't really possible so I came up with this idea.

miymfs.jpg

35aiu7t.jpg

vpw51l.jpg

2e5ibg2.jpg

Here are pictures of an earlier SF-III modified with newer technology and of course, it has the new tailcap.

98bsb7.jpg

2dvo5g6.jpg

znreb8.jpg

Would there be interest to use the new tailcap on both the combat and standard barrel versions? I am asking this because if I am going to make this a limited edition, I thought it should look unique. Please post your thoughts. Thank you.

ARC mania

blitzlicht65

Enlightened

The new tailcap design looks very nice.:thumbsup:

Is it possible to order only a tailcap for the new SF III's? (If yes, I'll take two.:whistle:)

And can you post a picture from the new tailcap on a combat body?:)

:wave:

Flyhigh

Newly Enlightened

The new tailcap design looks very nice.:thumbsup:

Is it possible to order only a tailcap for the new SF III's? (If yes, I'll take two.:whistle:)

And can you post a picture from the new tailcap on a combat body?:)

:wave:

+1 but I want it shorter, if possible like the original in the picture. Also, I like the anti roll design.

I've just bought a first run SF-III from a fellow Cpf-member and want to pimp it out. :devil:

Cheers

K

SCblur

Enlightened

+1
I would be in for one for my SF-III if you make them a la carte

Josh

+1 but I want it shorter, if possible like the original in the picture. Also, I like the anti roll design.

I've just bought a first run SF-III from a fellow Cpf-member and want to pimp it out. :devil:

Cheers

K

one2tim

Enlightened

i would defently also be in for 1 for my precious sf-III :) id also like the tailcap to be as short as possible without the button sticking out ofcource.

proline

Enlightened

I'm interested. One extra for each light I've ordered.

From Olaf_S "I do like the "old one", shown on the picture on the right side more:"

I know I always did...

How about an extension tube for two 18650's so we can get the 15 watt six die more up to speed and have some decent runtime as well ?? If not for those maybe three 123's.
4229393492_48bbf51fd9.jpg

Last edited:

delboy

Newly Enlightened

i would like to see it on combat grip first before i decide

Del

Olaf_S

Enlightened

Hi Mike,

difficult for me to describe.

The SFIII is a beauty. Complete supply, approximately, pleasingly.
Hope, this was correct with the translation program.
Your/this light is complete nice and round.
And the "new" tailcap is not round.

So for me it is a interference factor.

It is not good for the pleasing overall view.

I do like the "old one", shown on the picture on the right site more:
4229393492_48bbf51fd9.jpg

So, if you are willing to make some more of these, i will take one of these in nature, and one of these in black for the next batch with my ordered 15 watt Ostar :twothumbs

Greetings
Olaf

one2tim

Enlightened

Hi, i just did a runtime test of the sf-III with osram smt on high. It ran 12 minutes on 2x aw rcr123 cells with a start volt of 4,16/4,12 and an end voltage of 3,70/ 3,67 but with a aw 18650 protected 2600mah it ran for 53 minutes with a start voltage of 4,17 and end voltage of 3,37. With the rcr123 test the light turned off itself but with the 18650 i turned off the light myself because it started to flicker. Is this normal?

delboy

Newly Enlightened

Having had time to sleep on this i have to agree with olaf, i am not keen on the square design and much prefer the other as olaf does !!

Del

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll stick to the combat grip as it originally comes!

I don't know if I would like the new tailcap on the normal body, I like the tiny little cap on mine and the spring looks more resistant (the look may not reflect reality of course). I don't feel the urge to attach a lanyard on teh SF-III, while I normally attach some everywhere... :shrug:

I read about plastic spacers for using 2 x 123 in other sales-threads? I would want two of those with my light, if they are still available, as I use 2 x 16340 IMR. I simply make paper sleeves to avoid rattling, but a plastic solution is teh better option of course. Paper sleeves in such a high-tech device, do you realize??? :ohgeez:

ArsMachina

Enlightened

Having had time to sleep on this i have to agree with olaf, i am not keen on the square design and much prefer the other as olaf does !!

100% agree!
I am a big fan of the old switch design.
This is not just a switch - it is a sculpture !

sf3switch.jpg

Jochen

ZeissOEM2

Enlightened

Last edited:

AaronM

Enlightened

Does the new clickie switch have a longer action and a more positive feel than the shorty from the last run?
I can't feel the 'click' under my thumb when I press on my new light and I very much want to.
Will it fit on the light that I have?

If yes for both questions, I'm in for two switches in natural HA-III. I don't care about the style, just the action.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast

I remember reading somewhere that mike wasn't going to use the old tail cap design with the cut outs in the pic above because if you drop the light they bend :sick2:

Latest posts