Problem with Dorcy 1AAA 1LED

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
dorcypkg.jpg

Try this...hosted in a different location.

dda

Newly Enlightened
I have a black Dorcy 1AAA 1 LED. What would you be willing to give for it. They do make black. dda

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Craig and Mike! I appreciate the pics. I've searched every WalMart I've ever been for in for them and none have have carried them. It's good to know what they look like. Except for the tailcaps, they sure look like the little Legends lambda makes his Micro Illuminators from.

Moat

Enlightened
Big Ed -

One of the two I picked up yesterday had the same problems with the tailcap switch that you describe - works fine now after disassembly and cleaning of metal shavings from the contact area of the battery tube end and the "star" shaped tab (that the spring is riveted to). You might want to give that a try before returning it.

Bob

Al_Havemann

Enlightened
There's an easy fix for the sloppy tailcap on the Dorcys as well as a number of other lights that were not as smooth as I would have liked when I bought them. It's called "Damping Grease" and it's available from:-

William F. Nye Inc. (also called Nye Lubricants)
Box 8927, New Bedford, MA 02742
Phone: (508) 996-6721.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=2&q=http://www.nyelubricants.com/pdf/dgm.pdf&e=7418

They make it in several grades and it sells it in 1 lb. jars. One lb. costs about $20 and will last you a lifetime.

I applied a thin coating to the tailcap threads of a Dorcy 1AAA and the motion [of the tailcap] now feels almost as smooth as a Surefire. This doesn't really help the undamped push switch but it's a cheap fix for a common problem. Damping Grease improves the fit and feel or "perceived Quality" when used correctly.

The stuff I use for telescope focusers and the like is their "Light" Nyogel 764C. It's also what's used on the focusing mechanisms of binoculars to quiet the motion and eliminate backlash. You may want a slightly thicker compound if you prefer a more "predicable" motion. Be aware that the stiffest greases are Very Stiff indeed. They can work wonders or really gum things up if your not careful.

Everyone should be issued a jar of 764c at birth. Buy a jar, you'll find uses for it that you never thought about. You might also think about buying a jar of one of the more viscous compounds as well.

Try coating the inner components of a cheap entry lockset with the middle grade stuff and you'll think the quality (and price) just went up a couple of notches. Great stuff.

Al

Danosaurus

Newly Enlightened
A brand new Wal-Mart opened up in my area a couple weeks ago, and I was there on the first day. They had a ton of Dorcy AAAs (no 3 LED AAs) in all the colors, but I resisted since I already have a silver one that cost like $9 at OSH. Sure enough, one week later I went back and they only had like two left, both gold. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif All the other lights were collecting dust. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Okay fess up, who bought out the Canoga Park Wal-Mart? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

avusblue

Enlightened
I just bought three more of them today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Believe it or not I found some more nooks and crannies that needed to have one stashed there . . . .

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like these Dorcy 1LED 1AAA well enough that they've become my EDCs - please take a look at my (unfair)
comparison with the ArcAAA and Ultra-G -
Dorcy 1AAA #2 (vs ArcAAA vs Ultra-G vs Dorcy #1)

Dorcy2_Arc_Ultra_S.jpg

The main problem is the variability of the beam patterns - my first one (#1) was rather uneven - whereas by eyeballing (see link above) the led and reflector through the bubble pack for good centering and apparent reflected "brightness" - I managed to pick up one that was rather well centered and more even.

Some weeks later when the supplies in my Wally-World was much better - I tried a third one using the eyeballing method - and it did turn out to be well centered and even - but the beam was noticably bluer - so since I didn't really need another I returned it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif ....... (so it would seem that I'd rather have a warmer/whiter beam with an uneven pattern than a bluer one with good pattern..... but I guess there must be a threthhold somewhere when the uneven pattern becomes UNacceptable)

tinker

Newly Enlightened
I had the same complaints with my dorcy AAA's. they get used so much that the aluminum shavings build up. I just plucked the star from the negative contact spring and reversed it so the stamping burrs no longer gouge the body, and i used teflon tape to tighten the threads on the tailcap.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
tinker, great idea. Mine works beatifully now!!
Here is what I did. 1) take pliars and remove the wire hook. Pry up on the metal star on it's tabs to remove from the tail cap button. Pull off the spring and reverse it. This stops the shaving problem and the flicker/stuck on problems. 2) the spring was gouging the battery as well. I bent the end of the spring in and down the center of the coil. That way the sharp end of it doesn't snag on the battery. This will fix the stuck on problem as well.

I re-asemmbled and this light is awesome now! I left the ring hook off as I like it much better without it.

Now pusing the button no longer leaves it on, and it no longer flickers. It aslo turns on at the right point now and not too early. Works flawlessly!

Ratus

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I have a problem with the dorcy 1aaa.

I also can't stop buying them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

dorcyAAA.jpg

Here are three more, almost all they had at the LB Walmart.

I wish they had green or clear anodized ones. I just don't like the painted "silver" ones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Just got a "gold" one looks more like polished brass than gold, I kind of like it.

Has anyone else noticed that the newer dorcys don't have the paper in them, and that the machining is better? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
...I left the ring hook off as I like it much better without it...

[/ QUOTE ]

I carry mine that way too. but you lose the pseudo-LOTC function. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif