Problem with SL Survivior LED & my solution. Update: SL has a fix for these

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Problem with SL Survivior LED & possible solution.

TigerhawkT3 said:
That's good news, srvctec. Did they mention whether they will upgrade lights that have already been purchased? (And will they also make the low mode really low? :candle: ) I'm thinking that I might, just might, need to return mine to BrightGuy... :awman:

Hope I don't get into trouble quoting his email, but here it is

"
This is a factory fix, free under warranty, free return postage, and we can send a mailer and a label for free shipping to us at a UPS store."

He said they have had only 3 complaints so far, but I suspect (my words, not his) all alkaline packs from this first batch were affected since they are all made with the same internal springs, it just may be that not everyone has tested theirs in the way I did.

He also said that during testing in the field, this issue didn't happen, but they redesigned the circuit with a capacitor to maintain power during momentary power loss. I guess the vertical shaking causes the light to loose power for too long of a time for the capacitor to handle. They tested this fix by rapping the light on a table and not shaking it vertically, which is why it was missed.

Last edited:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast

srvctec said:
Got an email from Charlie Craft at Streamlight today. He said they were aware of the problem and have a fix in the works. The springs in the light on the circuit board will be longer and stiffer to eliminate the problem. They discussed springs in the carrier, but decided there wasn't room to do it right. He also said the "excessive" clearance in the alkaline battery case is required to allow cells made to the ANSI maximum tolerance to fit.

They are waiting on the replacement springs and are suspending shipments on the lights until all are fixed. This problem only happens on the alkaline battery packs and not the rechargeable packs.

How do we get our Survivor's fixed?

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast

srvctec,

I guess I posted the same time as you.

Is Streamlight going to fix our light or replace the light?

I won the Luxeon Lottery on mine.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast

ernsanada said:
srvctec,

I guess I posted the same time as you.

Is Streamlight going to fix our light or replace the light?

I won the Luxeon Lottery on mine.

"This is a factory fix, free under warranty, free return postage, and we can send a mailer and a label for free shipping to us at a UPS store."

He didn't say anything about replacing the light. I just took it from the above quote from his email, that the lights would be repaired. What I would do is to engrave your name into the case on the inside so you would know if you get yours back or not- just an idea. Or at least mark it in some manner that only you will know.

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast

srvctec said:
Got an email from Charlie Craft at Streamlight today. He said they were aware of the problem and have a fix in the works. The springs in the light on the circuit board will be longer and stiffer to eliminate the problem. They discussed springs in the carrier, but decided there wasn't room to do it right. He also said the "excessive" clearance in the alkaline battery case is required to allow cells made to the ANSI maximum tolerance to fit.

They are waiting on the replacement springs and are suspending shipments on the lights until all are fixed. This problem only happens on the alkaline battery packs and not the rechargeable packs.

That is great news srvctec!!!!! I spoke to Charlie last week and he informed me that they were aware of the problem and were working to come up with a solution. I am certain that they will do right by everyone that has already purchased one. More than likely the cheapest solution is going to be to ship out the new battery carriers to everyone who has the light. This would be much better than having everyone send in their lights as this would be much more expensive. Besides, I like the tint on mine and
don't want to risk getting one that I don't.

:grin2:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sometimes my light will not turn on the first try. The light usually starts on the second try. It must be problems with the battery carrier.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast

senna94 said:
That is great news srvctec!!!!! I spoke to Charlie last week and he informed me that they were aware of the problem and were working to come up with a solution. I am certain that they will do right by everyone that has already purchased one. More than likely the cheapest solution is going to be to ship out the new battery carriers to everyone who has the light. This would be much better than having everyone send in their lights as this would be much more expensive. Besides, I like the tint on mine and
don't want to risk getting one that I don't.

:grin2:

Actually a new carrier won't fix the problem. They aren't changing the carrier at all. The fix is to install longer and stiffer (thicker wire) springs onto the circuit board inside the light.

Hermanator

Newly Enlightened

srvctec said:
Hope I don't get into trouble quoting his email, but here it is

"
This is a factory fix, free under warranty, free return postage, and we can send a mailer and a label for free shipping to us at a UPS store."

He said they have had only 3 complaints so far, but I suspect (my words, not his) all alkaline packs from this first batch were affected since they are all made with the same internal springs, it just may be that not everyone has tested theirs in the way I did.

He also said that during testing in the field, this issue didn't happen, but they redesigned the circuit with a capacitor to maintain power during momentary power loss. I guess the vertical shaking causes the light to loose power for too long of a time for the capacitor to handle. They tested this fix by rapping the light on a table and not shaking it vertically, which is why it was missed.

I believe the entire battery carrier slides away from the spring contact; after I shake mine, it stays off and do not turn back on.

How do you think streamlight be able to get to the circuit board? Snap off the black reflector cover? I dare not try on mine!

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hermanator said:
I believe the entire battery carrier slides away from the spring contact; after I shake mine, it stays off and do not turn back on.

How do you think streamlight be able to get to the circuit board? Snap off the black reflector cover? I dare not try on mine!

Actually what is happening is what I posted in the first post of this thread, "When the light is shaken vertically the weight of the batteries is compressing the contact springs inside the light which opens the circuit. Since the light is microprocessor controlled, any complete loss of voltage causes the light to go off and remain off until turned back on." In other words the batteries move towards the springs inside the light compressing them and move away from the contacts at the bottom of the battery carrier, thus opening the circuit.

It looks to me like the two screws that hold on the clip also hold the light engine assy in the head- but this is just an educated guess.

Last edited:

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast

srvctec said:
Actually a new carrier won't fix the problem. They aren't changing the carrier at all. The fix is to install longer and stiffer (thicker wire) springs onto the circuit board inside the light.

Perhaps I am mistaken, however it seems that the fix you suggested and did when you started this thread was to the battery carrier. Are you now saying the problem will be solved in a different way??????????????

:huh2:

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast

senna94 said:
Perhaps I am mistaken, however it seems that the fix you suggested and did when you started this thread was to the battery carrier. Are you now saying the problem will be solved in a different way??????????????

:huh2:

Re-read my post #19- the one you quoted in your post #25. It explains exactly what Streamlight's fix is. This thread started out as what I did to fix mine- not what Streamlight is doing to fix them. And yes I made mine work by modding the carrier, but this is not the fix Streamlight is implementing. The end result will be the same- no more light going out when shaken or dropped.

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any idea on when and how to get our lights upgraded?

srvctec, I really appreciate the time and effort you've put into informing us of this problem and its solutions.

:goodjob:

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charlie from Streamlight just confirmed the lights with the problem already in the hands of customers from this first batch will be repaired and not replaced.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
TigerhawkT3 said:
Any idea on when and how to get our lights upgraded?

Charlie didn't give any info on this as it depends on how fast the spring supplier can get the new springs into Streamlight's hands for the repair.

I would suggest to either call Streamlight at their customer service number 1-800-523-7488 or to email them at cs (at) streamlight.com which is how I first contacted them about this issue.

As far as how, I already posted this a couple of times in previous posts. This is a direct qoute from Charlie's email to me
"This is a factory fix, free under warranty, free return postage, and we can send a mailer and a label for free shipping to us at a UPS store."

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I emailed Streamlight's Customer Service about this problem. I should hear back from them today.

I sent back back my Streamlight Task Led 3AA about 3 years ago. The tint was too green. I got another light in return.

Streamlight will take care of you.

Link to email to customer service, click on red link, email to customer service.

http://www.streamlight.com/about/contact.aspx

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a :bumpit: so this thing doesn't get lost in the shuffle.:grin2:

BTW, I forgot to mention above that Charlie Craft from Streamlight is the chief engineer- just so everyone knows exactly who I have been in contact with.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bump! Does anyone have infomation on the status of the repair springs at Streamlight? Are they accepting returns for repair? If so, I would like to know if they are just replacing the springs, or are they going to replace the whole assembly. Seems like the latter would be much easier. I'm asking cause I'd like to take a chance on another/different LED. Mine is not centered in the reflector and has a green tint. Thanks.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
ernsanada said:
I emailed Streamlight's Customer Service about this problem. I should hear back from them today.

I sent back back my Streamlight Task Led 3AA about 3 years ago. The tint was too green. I got another light in return.

Streamlight will take care of you.

Link to email to customer service, click on red link, email to customer service.

http://www.streamlight.com/about/contact.aspx

I finally heard back from Streamlight, they are sending me a return label.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
ernsanada said:
I finally heard back from Streamlight, they are sending me a return label.
Ok, great! Maybe I'll wait awhile longer and see how they are going to repair these things. Would you be able to tell if they just changed the springs or not? Let us know if you can exactly what they did. :thanks:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lite_me said:
Ok, great! Maybe I'll wait awhile longer and see how they are going to repair these things. Would you be able to tell if they just changed the springs or not? Let us know if you can exactly what they did. :thanks:

I will let everybody know.

Streamlight is located in PA. I remember the last time I had to send something back it took around 3+ weeks to receive my light back.

Latest posts