Prototype Flashlight - I need advice

x2x3x2

Banned
using a Lux III even if it did have sidespill wouldnt be usefull to me,
reason being the intensity of the hotspot will make your eyes adjust to that level, and the low intensity of the sidespill would be any use since u sill need the intensity of the hotspot to see properly again.

Amonra

Enlightened
that focusing system coupled to an XR-E would give killer throw, it does not go too wide tho as stated but maybe a rmeovable filter can be added to turn it into a flood

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes!!! i vote for the cree XR-E with that focusing system!!! your flashlight will be the first commercial flashlight to use the XR-E!!!!

that will bring some amount of traffic to your shop...

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
I agree with LED_Thrift. The video shows the complete lack of sidespill regardless of focusing setting with this system. It is like the user either gets to look down a very narrow tunnel or one that is slightly less narrow. You have no idea what is going on anywhere else.

frank777

Enlightened
Yes, side-spill on our focusable prototype is almost non-existent, which does concern us. And it IS a function of our lens/reflector system, which is the only portion of the flashlight that will be patented. The beam would be approximately 3 feet wide at a distance of 5 feet. It can be focused to show the exact square LED pattern, but we set the focusing to stop just before this happens to maintain a round beam. I like Amonra's removable filter idea.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
A focusable beam with a LuxIII or a Cree XR-E would have to garner my vote as well but a diffuser of some sort would be a definite advantage. Spill beam is extremely useful. Having the focusability however is quite a nice feature. It would be interesting to see how much focusing it would retain through a removable diffuser. Something that could be stored on the light and only removed when you want/need the tighter beam possibly?

myk

Enlightened
And sorry to restate this, but I know a lot of us are holding off on any flashlight purchases until the cree xr-e's are more available - the additional brightness from less voltage just blows away the luxeons to the extent that, unless you're getting super-super premium luxeon bins, even the crappy cree binned LED's will be brighter in the same power situation

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don`t care for the no spill beam concept. Even if the spot is wide I feel closterfobic.
So I would not be a buyer. As far as a patent is concerned keep in mind stage lights, telescopes and a hole bunch of old proven designs that might make it difficult.

I agree about the Cree...chasing after a lux 3 design will likely doom your company right of the batt.

To haunt these halls as the future unfolds you will need regulation and multi levels.

Ken

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Badbeams said:
I don`t care for the no spill beam concept. Even if the spot is wide I feel closterfobic.
So I would not be a buyer. As far as a patent is concerned keep in mind stage lights, telescopes and a hole bunch of old proven designs that might make it difficult.

I agree about the Cree...chasing after a lux 3 design will likely doom your company right of the batt.

To haunt these halls as the future unfolds you will need regulation and multi levels.

Ken

I don't think that merely using a Lux III will doom the company. There will be a lot of people who will still be mightily impressed with a Lux III for years to come. Remember, we on here are really a niche market, not mainstream.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, just me I guess :) I would not spend a lot of $$$ designing around the Lux 3.

But your point is well taken...most folks don`t have any desire to spend more than $15~$20...if that. And as Lux3`s find there way into lights in this low price range...they will be impressed. Right now...I see Led Mag`s stuffed on store racks...and they don`t appear to be selling well.

Ken

Amonra

Enlightened
at this point the cree XR-E is at the same price point of the Lux3 so i see no disadvantage in the from of increased costs, i only see big advantages for the XR-E's, also if this niche market really likes what this flashlight turns out to be it will blow away the mainstream market, that is if it is targeted and priced for the mainstream market.

Regarding the filter i would suggest a machenism similar to this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...&kw=PRIDPA&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=367389 an iris diaphragm but with diffuser material instead of the black material. This would make the light very versatile as the filter would remain on the light at all times and can be turned on/off with a twist of the bezel thus having two twist mechanisms on the head of the light, one for focusing the beam and one for the filter.....perfect for all kinds of uses. One could also have a red filter in this manner to preserve night vision. it is also a hell of a lot better than the usual clip on or flip on filters that can get lost or break off easily.

that's my idea anyway

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
An alternative to a diffuser might be possible in the form of a frosted region around the perimeter of the lens that would diffuse a small amount of the light to provide usable spill while retaining throw since the entire output would not be diffused. The hotspot intensity would of course be reduced relative to the amount of light redirected for spill.

frank777

Enlightened
Mudman cj,

The "edge diffuser" sounds like an excellent idea, and we will investigate it. And thanks to the advice of the people on this board, we have already ordered sample Cree XR-E LEDs and will be using them in our flashlight.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
frank777 said:
Mudman cj,

The "edge diffuser" sounds like an excellent idea, and we will investigate it. And thanks to the advice of the people on this board, we have already ordered sample Cree XR-E LEDs and will be using them in our flashlight.
:twothumbs Sweet! Don't forget that you need to clue us in on the progress and (more importantly) end results...

Calina

Enlightened
frank777 said:
Mudman cj,

It seems you've seen the light; so you're going to use Cree-XE... That is actually good news and IMO a wise choice.

To frost part of the lens seems a bit crude and might not look very good. I would be afraid that it would turn off some buyers. I could be wrong, let's see what others have to say about this.

Here's an another possibility : would it be feasible to have a flat glass "window" around the lens to provide flooding up close.

Last edited: