PWM - What is it, How does it work and how to detect it.

feifei

Banned
well done, thanks for sharing the post,I have no idea about this,but have learnt a lot after reading the post.

Last edited:

BrianHook

Newly Enlightened
Nice work, I must say. Various points discussed here about LED flashlights are genuinely very informative.

whiterabbit05

Newly Enlightened
Thank you. I found this very useful when recently purchasing a Streamlight Protac HL and seeing PWM being mentioned in reviews of the light's low mode.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kinda sucks that Streamlight would go the PWM way. Were you able to detect it? Is it really annoying?

franksr

Newly Enlightened
As a newbie to both LED lights and this forum I much appreciate your description of PWM as it has enlightened me and cleared up a few questions I had regarding PWM.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a newbie to both LED lights and this forum I much appreciate your description of PWM as it has enlightened me and cleared up a few questions I had regarding PWM.

Thank you. There's nothing like knowing my article did what it was intended to :)

Neosec

Newly Enlightened
Great job Cataract!!! :thumbsup:

Very well done and the photos really make the point.

One thing I'll note that has changed (which doesn't matter much for the content of this topic) that you may or may not be aware of, you said:

PWM is mainly used to control electric motors (like hybrid cars), but mostly step-motors like the ones in your hard-drive.

Hard drives (all?) no longer use stepper motors. The spindle motor is DC same as it's been and the armature motor is now a voice coil motor. Much faster.

Again, Great post!

Neo

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thanks: AND :welcome:

Good to know about hard drives, I haven't been following computer technology evolution for a long while.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it have the whine on the low modes as well? Or just the visual PWM? I really hate PWM! :) I am a digital linear kinda guy! ;)

I don't hear anything but it is visually obvious. That is an unfortunate design for an otherwise great LEO light.

bpierce

Newly Enlightened
Great post. One question: is a circuit that supports higher frequency PWM more expensive to manufacture? Wondering why anybody would go with the lower frequency variety except maybe for cost reasons.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some years ago i read that low frequency is more efficient. So i guess thats why. Dont know for sure, so dont quote me on that ;-)