Quad Xr-E

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
IsaacHayes said:
Ahhh I get it now. Nice!

I wonder how the beam would compare against a Quad SSC P4 with McR20mm....?

Try it out mac and do a comparison! :D you know you wanna! :)

I don't have any MCR20's on hand :( I did play with the Seouls and IMS27's and the beam is great if you take about 0.030 off the legs.

Mac

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have IMS20mm on hand? I do, I think I might get some P4's and do a 3C Quad with them. Should throw more than XRE, with less spill (but still plenty usefull spill). My only comparison would be my Tri-luxeon 20mm IMS, which should have similar beam just less intense...

I'm still curious as to a p4 vs XRE similar setup to see how big of a difference in throw the P4 has.. Which is more over kill, the spill of xre, or throw of p4? lol :)

Nice work with duracoat again I see btw! :)

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
IsaacHayes said:
You have IMS20mm on hand? I do, I think I might get some P4's and do a 3C Quad with them. Should throw more than XRE, with less spill (but still plenty usefull spill). My only comparison would be my Tri-luxeon 20mm IMS, which should have similar beam just less intense...

I'm still curious as to a p4 vs XRE similar setup to see how big of a difference in throw the P4 has.. Which is more over kill, the spill of xre, or throw of p4? lol :)

Nice work with duracoat again I see btw! :)

Here's the full effect :)

IMG_0442-vi.jpg

Timson

Enlightened
Mac,

Many thanks for the pictures of your centering rings......simple and effective.....

Two fold advantage that I see there is -

1) the emitter is kept perfectly centered in the reflector
2) The delrin will serve to prevent any possible shorting issues through the reflector.

Great work.

I don't have any Delrin....I have some Nylon that ought to do the job though :)

I intend to let mine run upto 1A on max setting (for a healthy 800Lu) - as per the latest press release from Cree.

Tim

AdamW

Newly Enlightened
Those delrin centering rings would sell.

Would like 4 if you decide to make them!

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too am curious about that last light that was posted. What light is that with the brown pattern on it?

Curtis

snipinglight

Newly Enlightened
cmacclel said:
The ring is a press fit onto the reflector. The hole in the delrin adapter is sized to the XR-E metal ring.

IMG_3530-vi.jpg

Did u make these delrins? Or was it salvage from somewhere else?

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mac,

Would you be willing to sell some? Quantity would be low, I only have one quad project for now, and I'm stuck because of that rings issue :(