Quark AA^2 or LD20?

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
However the L2D was my first real light, I'd hate to part with it.... So if I was a true flashaholic I would keep the both the Quark Ti and L2D and send my brother another Quark regular :D

Can't wait to see what an XP-G will do.

Depends on how much you love your brother... :crackup:

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix is not sleeping. They announced LD20 and LD10 with clip, trapezoid threads and other improvements. http://www.fenixlight.com/newping.asp

they're fixing the minor stuff which takes a normal person a minute or so to figure out after handling the lights.

We're talking about BIG changes here like regulation for 14500 on medium & low, not include GITD o-rings, add trit slot sort of crappy updates!

Fenix is trying to copy the Quark series.
You mean Quark is trying to copy everyone? Well except the DX look-a-like shitty outfit.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quarks are what Fenix should have evolved into by now, if they actually took the advice from flashaholics. :)

Quarks have the super low mode many of us have wanted Fenix to implement, yet Fenix's low remained blinding.

Quarks have given us the gripping knurling that many wanted to see on the Fenix's.

Quarks are using XP-E R2's, don't think Fenix has any XP-E's yet so you are stuck with their ringy XR-E beams.

Quarks have good pocket clips, reversible on all but the 1x123 model.

The list goes on and on.

yuk

Newly Enlightened
I haven't try yet a Quark, but I agree with WadeF to all except the pocket clip: I would like it to be higher in the body. I will add to the list the super noisy clicky switces! Fenix seems to be stuck in their own old ideas. That doesn't mean their lights are not good ofcourse. I love my LD01 and my PD20 SMO is a great thrower for its size.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't try yet a Quark, but I agree with WadeF to all except the pocket clip: I would like it to be higher in the body. I will add to the list the super noisy clicky switces! Fenix seems to be stuck in their own old ideas. That doesn't mean their lights are not good ofcourse. I love my LD01 and my PD20 SMO is a great thrower for its size.

Agreed that the placement of the clip on the Quarks could be better, but that may have taken away the ability to make the clip removable and reversible. I'd like to see an optional "Deep carry" clip that is some how designed to attach to the Quark as the normal clips do, but then they would bend up, extending flush with the tail, and then bend back down to the body. Kind of like the SF E1B clip, but with more grip. :p

Also agree the Fenix lights are still great light.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pre flash: Mine only do this if you used a higher mode the last couple of minutes, otherwise there is nothing.

Both of mine lock out, but since they won't if the anodize wears of 4Sevens hasn't advertised this as a feature.

In other words the Quarks are a lot better IMHO. A warm white tactical would be my choice of gift and is what I'm giving my father tomorrow.

Sverre

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fully agree with WadeF. Quark seems to have all the good properties of Fenix, but with the addition of better knurling and more usable modes.
If they measure up to the quality standard of Fenix they will simply make the corresponding Fenix lights superflous. Anyway, I will see when I receive the Quark 123 and AA2.

Regards, Patric

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool thanks for all the advice.

So I pulled the trigger and pre-ordered the Quark Ti AA^2.... yeah it's twice the price, but it's been a while since I bought myself a light. (man that's totally not what I originally intended to do... well I guess that flashaholicism for you :laughing:)

So I'm pretty sure I'll keep the quark and send the L2D onto my bro.

However the L2D was my first real light, I'd hate to part with it.... So if I was a true flashaholic I would keep the both the Quark Ti and L2D and send my brother another Quark regular :D

Can't wait to see what an XP-G will do.

Honestly, if I hadn`t just spent a bunch on the Quarks I wouldn`t think twice about getting a Ti Quark. The price for what your getting is just shocking. Fantastic value. You made the move I wish I could do :broke:

As far as your brother...only you know what`s reasonable...is he really interested in lights? Would he feel hurt if you didn`t replace it with the latest/greatest? Can you get him a Quark and tell him it`s his early Christmas present?

Regarding Fenix...WadeF is dead on.

ThesaurZA

Newly Enlightened
Honestly, if I hadn`t just spent a bunch on the Quarks I wouldn`t think twice about getting a Ti Quark

I'm with you there mate. If only I had known about these Ti's.

I was looking for a 2xAA light, and ordered the LD20. Few days later I see the Quark AA², which seemed better and I just had to have it, so I ordered it (and some other Quarks). Few days later, I see the Ti's are out. Today I ordered the QAA² Ti.

Now I'm getting three 2xAA lights and I only wanted one. :broke:

squaat

Newly Enlightened
So I spoke to my brother. Turns out he misplaced the possibly 6 months ago, but he only needed it again recently. So only discovered that it was missing a couple of weeks ago....

I had also bought him the single AA body and holster, so I was pretty set to give him my old L2D so he could continue to use those too. Guess what turns out he never really used the single AA body at all.

So the more I talk to him the more I think I should take sol-leks advice and give him a stick with glow in the dark paint on it.... or perhaps another 2nd hand L2D or perhaps an E20 (can't bring it on myself to give him a KD or DE light)

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
whats the difference with the quarks xpe vs the original xre cree?

i looked at the stats on the xpg r4 and both the $59 quark 2aa and ti r4 for $99 and they both state 170 lumens on 700ma. whats the deal. is the ti r4 brighter than claimed or is there no real difference at these drive currents.

also, can someone tell me the real difference with these xpg. are they slightly bigger than the old led's? these new led's caught me off guard.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
ti xpg quark stats are not up to date yet, the xpg is i think 135@350 and 345@1a vs xre which is still in 200's ..the xpg die i think is same as xre but the optic is different and captures more light and puts it out better

OfficerCamp

Enlightened
Quark. The pre-flash is not as bad as you think, and honestly, the clickies on Quarks are nice and firm, locking it out should not be an issue. Either choice is a good choce though, both products are extremely high quality. Good luck, back to work....

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
... or perhaps another 2nd hand L2D or perhaps an E20 (can't bring it on myself to give him a KD or DE light)

Keep the L2D for yourself and since you already have a Fenix, just give the LD20 idea a rest and get the Quark AA^2 tactical or regular. Once you're done with it, you might be more generous to give your L2D to your brother.

The Quarks are what Fenix should have evolved into by now, if they actually took the advice from flashaholics. :)
Quite the fact..

tbenedict

Enlightened
i use my Q2AA with my newly acquired Powerex Imedion cells with Maha Wizard charger and its now serve as my primary light,better than my modded L2D R2.

How do you like the Imedion batteries? I have not seen much on those here. I have their 2700mA AA's, but I wondered how the Imedion compares to the Eneloop.

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
How do you like the Imedion batteries? I have not seen much on those here. I have their 2700mA AA's, but I wondered how the Imedion compares to the Eneloop.
Psst.. a little off topic but here is the info you need. I use Imedions as well, they handle quite well in... I could say all LED flashlight configurations. Eneloops generally perform better at higher loads, but read the link. :sssh:

Cave Man

Newly Enlightened
the quark is better for around the same price. get the quark. while your at it, get a tactical switch for the quark(with the tact. switch, the quark blows away the ld20)IMO

Hey guys, I'm new to CPF and I guess this is as good a place as any to start. I just ordered the Quark AA-2 regular with the tactical tail. My question is for hotlight, since you have already done this... with the tactical tail and regular head, will the light cycle through the different modes if the momentary switch is activated rapidly, or does the light still have to be steady on to cycle?

I just received my Nitecore D20 and don't really like the amount of effort required for momentary use, as well as its finicky UI. High quality lights is a whole new world for me and I'm just trying to find a UI I like.:shrug: Thanks!

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
Hey guys, I'm new to CPF and I guess this is as good a place as any to start. I just ordered the Quark AA-2 regular with the tactical tail. My question is for hotlight, since you have already done this... with the tactical tail and regular head, will the light cycle through the different modes if the momentary switch is activated rapidly, or does the light still have to be steady on to cycle?
I've got the same question as Cave Man