Quark Mini 123 runtime - CR123 vs. RCR123

hoongern

Enlightened
I was informed by a 4seven staff that you can't use rechargable batteries at all with the Quark mini 123. Is this true?

I would have thought that you could maybe use a 3V CR123 rechargable battery?

Something like this:-
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/4x-RECHARGEA..._Photographic_Accessories?hash=item3ca9efcf0b

Am I correct? Or do I have to use primaries and not allowed to use rechargables at all?

Using a 3.7V in the mini123 will work. The reason why they tell you that you can't use it is to protect themselves from people who may accidentally damage their lights.

The rule for 3.7Vs in the minis, as I understand, is that it's completely fine on low/medium modes. On the high mode, use it only as long as it's not hot (i.e. you can hold it comfortably), as the heat can pose a risk.

I wouldn't use those 3V rechargeables, personally speaking. It looks like they are actually 3.7V cells with a voltage reduction circuit to bring it down to 3V, but they are known to be a bit finicky and not so reliable.

If you want to use lower voltage rechargeables, I'd suggest you try the LiFePO4 cells which are rated nominal 3.2V, and are much safer than your 3.7V cells. They won't have as long a runtime as the 3.7V cells, but they work much closer to the specs of the mini.

NightKids

Enlightened
That's great info! Thanks a lot for your help.

I will go ahead & order the Quark Mini 123 as I have two LifePo4 batteries and I can use my AWs for short periods!

superpila

Newly Enlightened
You don't want to buy those Bender, they don't fit.

I have tried the gray & white label Ultrafire/Trustfire in mine and they are too long.

So far the only battery I have seen reports on is AW's 16340.

The DX 16340's have had a pretty high fail rate for me also. The last 2 pack I ordered contained two that would die within 3 min on high in a ti 123 reg Quark.

Actually they fit in mine.
I have both those and sku 24980 and they all fit nicely in my quark mini. Much brighter than cr123

Engineer

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know of any good beamshot comparisons between the RCR123 and primaries? If not can someone please post some? I have a mini123 and have only used primaries. I have read that on RCR123 it will do 250 lumens vs the 189 lumens on primaries and would like to see some pictures if possible.

By the way, this is my first post. Unfortunately I have become completely addicted to this site. Please excuse if this post is in the wrong place.