Question for Fenix owners

HeadCSO

Enlightened
I started my 'proper' flashlight collection with Surefires, first the L4, then the L1. At the time I thought I'd never buy anything else but Surefire, but the high cost :mad: persuaded me that I should check out other brands.

I had seen Fenix advertised but knew little about them. Fortunately all the positive posts about them from this site (thanks guys, I have learnt a lot) persuaded me to give them a try. I now have 2 L1D-CE's and 2 L2D-CE's.

To get things in perspective, the L2D is as bright as my L4. The L4 has a better build quality but costs 5 times more than the Fenix (UK prices). However the Fenix build quality is not 5 times worse than the L4.

Nicoby

Newly Enlightened
So i think I've knocked down the possibility's but then built them up again :)

So now the light's that i might get are:

-P1D CE
-E1
-LOD CE

I'm thinking of getting the E1 for now (or E0) and then seeing if i like it then later getting the P1D CE, And then I'll be using the classic line of "Buy Both!"

If i do get the L0D then i will probably use the AA's that its designed for until i can read up more on Unprotected batteries. I'm not quite ready for that yet. Will post my final decision Thursday (24 hours) but keep the feedback coming!

as a non "Flashaholic" - yet, i narrowed my selection and recently received my P1D CE, i picked this one because of build quality, price and output, not to mention a keychain (since i only have the key, remote fob and the small carabiner that goes to my belt loop) light. it even outperforms my AA Mag LED, duh :grin2:

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a P1D CE, P2D CE , P3D CE

The build quality seems very good to me, although i think the anodizing is worthless.. it chips and gets grazed by money and keys. HA-III should be more tough than hell, but the fenix finish is not like that. I really love these lights, and im getting a P3D Rebel 100 soon

They all are very bright, and hold up well for battery life. Love them

zamboniman

Newly Enlightened
I EDC a P3D-CE, and I've found it works well. Great "quality per dollar". On low, I can poke around the house without disturbing anyone, and on high, I can use it as a bike light.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix lights are great for the money.I have 5 different Fenix lights and have been very satisfied with all.Fenix innovates quickly and is very responsive to this forum.If you want AA or AAA Fenix is one of the best brands available.I usually EDC my LOD-CE as it is unobtrusive to carry and offers a lot of light for its size.I do use lithiums though as alkalines don't perform well and have a tendency to leak from time to time.If I am not EDCing my LOD-CE then I usually have my P2D.The fact that these are my main EDC lights speaks volumes to thier versatality.The Fenix lights are not the same quality as Surefire or INOVA but they are good for the $$$ often offering better performance.My biggest concern with Fenix is buying from a reputable dealer who backs the product as some have received defective lights(none for me though).Fenix Store is famous here for it's service.Lighthound and Brightguy are also reputable dealers I have purchased Fenix lights from. :twothumbs

Vinnyp

Newly Enlightened
I have all the lights you are considering and most of the range. As well as a Novatac and a few Surefires. I EDC the P1DCE. It's a great trade of size and weight against utility. It is certainly not as strong as the Surefire or Novatac and I am sure their quality control is lower as well. I also would prefer a different UI. The clicky ones have a great UI.

My opinion on the quality is that they are definitely plenty tough enough for EDC and almost certainly tough enough for any use. I've never dropped them but I am happy they could all take a drop from head height down a flight of concrete stairs and still click on. I've owned about 10 and given 4 as gifts never a single problem except for sloppy threads on a first run Black P1DCE that I lost, which was a shame as the sloppy threads were a plus for me. 3 P1DCEs later all of them are smooth and tight. The early black HA did wear off a bit too easy on a keychain but that is now better, the natural is my preference since that doesn't show any wear.

I can vouch for 4Sevens service as I have used them for mods engraving and upgrades. The fact it's not the manufacturer but a dealer doesn't worry me small is beautiful when it comes to CS. We have Surefire at work and had nothing but grief from the manufacturers CS.

I have at least one too many P1DCEs now so may do some tests for peace of mind (might even U-Tube it for posterity). I do have an E1 and it was on my keychain about 18 months ago. I wouldn't consider it now unless budget was real issue. The L0DCE is a great little light (It's my keychain light when travelling). I am not a wall hunter but the beam on the E1 is so poor that (unlike most) it does slightly affect it's usefulness in the real world and my one is very blue.

lightr07

Newly Enlightened
Again, Thanks for the feedback. What I've decided to do is tomorrow I'm going to call around and see if any local store's have / even know off the G2 LED. If any know about it / have any that I'm going to get that and then get the P1D CE / E1 at a later date, If they don't then I'm going to put in a order (via money order, next day) for either a P1D or E1.

cmichael

Newly Enlightened
I am going to go with the P2D CE or P2D RB100 crowd. I have been EDC'ing mine for two months now. I love the UI and the output this little light has. It has great battery life(am only on the second battery in two months).

P2D CE:

Low: 9 lumens (30hrs) -Med: 40 lumens (5.5hrs) -High: 80 lumens (2hrs) -Turbo Mode: 135 lumens (1hrs)

P2D RB100:
Low: 11 lumens (30hrs) -Med: 50 lumens (5.5hrs) -High: 100 lumens (2hrs) -Turbo Mode: 175 lumens
yikes.gif
(1hrs)

30 hours in low, and over 5 hours in medium. Up to a whopping 175 lumens in Turbo. Small, easy to carry form factor with an easy to use UI. LOP reflector for a nice smooth beam. I would definitely put this on your list of possibilities.

Edit: I have five Fenix lights and I love every one of them. I have not had even 1 problem with any of them. David (4sevens) at the Fenix-Store.com has outstanding service and free shipping world wide. I use my P2D more than any other light I have (several times on a daily basis), and after two months it is still looking new and holding up very well.

p2daad1.jpg

How about the P3D RB100 ? I order my few days ago,and I have a surefire L2, which is a better light?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK let me have it I don't care.
Surefire flashlights are high quality flashlights that you can depend on when LIFE is at risk. Professionals around the world do thins every day. first responders law enforcement man arms special forces, security forces from around the world utilize many different Surefire flashlights EVERY DAY. You can stake your life in it.

First let me say that I do in fact own fenix flashlights so I am not talking out m A((.
OK?
Not only would I not stake my life on on the reliability or construction of any fenix (they are light duty flashlights) but Neither do the vast majority of the same security, medical and other first responders trust their lives and the lives of others on the fenix brand of lights.
It is pretty clear that Fenix flashlights are not designed for this heaven and harsh use.
No they are not a bad flashlight. So far there has not been made a "perfect" flashlight by either Fenix of surefire.
The point is these two brands are in different leagues. Different philosophy and completely different marketing...different goals and mail...except for this one common theme. Both companies have a strong desire to become in their individual niche.
Apples and oranges is an old cliche' which describes the attempt to compare these two brands.
If your desire is for heavy duty universally acceptable extra care and attention to detail is made by SUREFIRE. This is just not true or possible with the FENIX line of flashlights.
If you want cheap to the point of not minding if you loose it go ahead and buy a few FENIX lights.
If the opposite is true and you car convinced that you need to ave the best heavy duty ..most accepted worldwide by armed forces then the choice is simple. SUREFIRE.
No doubt no question.
Yaesumofo

My first choice in professional grade flashlights is SUREFIRE. Fenix doesn't enter the conversation.
Sorry guys go ahead and attack me buy please use good language and back up your comments.

This third fact could be fuc*ing UP my point of view. That is the fact that I still have my well older than XX years old GREEN laser products 6P and it still works perfectly. It was m first "real light".
M forst Fexix had to go back for replacment.
Yaesumofo

So i have ALOT of SureFire's (I mean ALOT 4 to the right of me and 3-4 more somewhere else) but I've now gotten the Urge to try out a Fenix. So my question is to the owner's of E0's, E1's, P1D CE owners. And my questions are pretty simple.

-Overall build quality. For the price that you paid (19.00, 25.00, 40.00) what do you think?

-Brightness. Again for the price that you paid. How would you compare it to something else in the price range of the Fenix.

-Customer Service / Returns and Replacements. For those of you who have had problems what do you think? Have they been polite about it? How has the service been and how has the replacement service been.

and the most important...

-Usability. Do you EDC your Fenix? How does it hold up?

What I'll be using this for: Mainly an EDC light. Right now my EDC is a E1L which is 25 lumens for 4 hours, But I'm looking for something like it. If i like it alot than it might become my EDC, It can be Type II or Type III as it will not anywhere near key's. The P1D CE would be good as it uses CR123's (We have really hot summer's and freezing winters) and for price about 50.00 would be max. (Which is why the P1D CE is at the top of the list)

From this I'll decided which one I'm going to get. It will either be an E0, E1 or P1D CE.

(P.S You don't have to reply back in a list :))

Thanks.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are used to carrying around an E1L the Fenix E0 & E1 won't replace it. The E0 is too dim and blue and the E1 beam is too ringy. Minimum AAA light is the L0D CE or L0D RB80. I suspect the difference in beam pattern between the Cree and Rebel LEDs would be more important than the difference in brightness.

Most Fenix clicky lights are reverse clickies and pushing the button changes modes instead of giving you momentary. The only Fenix lights with a tactical type switch are AA models - L1T V2.0 RB80 and L2T v2.0 RB80

crocodilo

Enlightened
I have several models (check my sig line), and love them all. My most used one is the L1DCE (minimalistic mode), or the E0 coupled with a P1. Perhaps this combo is the best multi-level, real low with enormous runtime, plus a bright high for a reasonable length of time. EDCing just one multi-level light will never be as good as EDCing two different lights. Both the E0 and the P1 feature small size, weight and price to make this possible. And remember, two is one, one is none.

I also have a few SF icans, but stopped using them when I found Fenix. For my uses, it's quality is more than adequate.

Last edited:

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gee, nothing is perfect, in function, or reliability...

If I went by my experience--My 40 year old 5D MagLight (which has never even had a bulb fail) or my ever reliable "Big Jim" would be my last lights. But, of course, I never used them that much because, as a kid, the batteries costs killed me, and as an adult, they are ridiculously too big for EDC (and accounts for my relatively low runtimes and no blown bulbs).

All of my rechargeable lights have eventually failed because the batteries have died (and the batteries cost more to replace than the entire light--if I could even find them).

If you are betting your life on one flashlight--Dude, get a second light for backup. Even the venerable SureFire Incandescent lights have bulbs which fail in 10-30 hours. For my P3D-CE--I can get more "reliable" light out of one set of batteries (65+ hours on low) where a SureFire would have had 2-6 "bulb failures" and 6-65 "battery failures" in that time... Let alone the numerous "clicky" and other new product failures that have happened over the years...

Which light would you "trust your life with"... One that would give me one "battery failure" in 65+ hours or one that would give me 8-72 "failures" in 65+ hours... Those "cheap Chinese lights" are starting to look pretty good to me...

(yes, I am mixing apples and orangutans here--the P3D on low, vs, a fixed, bright, incandescent SureFire--but the point, for me, is that the P3D has adjustable output--use the amount of light that I need--and 95% of the time that is low). Pick your tool(s) and use accordingly.

Granted, SureFire is making some very nice LED lights too (the whole LED/Incandescent war). And SureFire is seeing that LED's have many advantages that incandescent lights just can't touch in a small flashlight form factor. (yes, incandescents still have their places too).

But with both Fenix and SureFire (and every flashlight ever made), there have been design (electrical and mechanical), quality, and random life failures too.

Not trying to start (yet another) SureFire/Fenix flame war here... Really just trying to highlight that, if your life depends on it, you should have, at least, two to three lights on your person...

Planned (battery) and unplanned (bulb flashed) failures, let alone the number of times an EDC light (perhaps even in one's own hand) have been dropped, lost, went AOL... Carrying one of anything that you are betting your life on is not good planning.

If you wish to buy two to three SureFires as your backup plan--more power to you. If you want a mixture, fine too... If all your wife will let you buy is the low end lights--save your marriage--for the sake of the kids.

-Bill

Last edited:

Windscale

Enlightened
Why wait any longer? Go and get your Fenix. Any model will do. But you should get a Rebel rather than a Cree. The more time you spent talking here the less time you'll get to play with the light!

I do have the P3D CE and it is almost perfect for EDC.

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
I agree with WadeF about the P2D. I have the Q2 version with an OP reflector and the beam is perfect and very bright. I own six Fenix lights and the P2D-Q2 is my favorite! Just get one.....:thumbsup:

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
@yaesumofo, I agree Surefire are built very well, but unless its LED i would not "trust" any light with my life. Simple reason, LED is tougher than a bulb. It dont matter if its a standard bulb, xeono, krypton or any other bulb, if you smash it on the ground and dont realise, and you need your light, i would rather have an LED to hand like my P3D