Ra Clicky & Twisty Lights- a layman's review **pic heavy**

antikythera

Newly Enlightened
First off, excellent review, Christian. :twothumbs:

I've been planning on picking up a Clicky 140E, but news of a new Clicky kinda throws a wrench in those plans. :shrug:

Does anyone know how soon this newer Clicky might be released? If it is going to be released in a month or so, then it would be worth waiting for, but if it is going to release in a year or so, then I would be better off getting one now. I just don't want to get such an expensive light, and have it become outmoded just a short while later. :candle:

Thanks!

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
I have been thinking about a RA Custom clicky for some time, if Henry just put in a newer LED I would buy one instantly. I am really so curious about having one. :twothumbs Getting a first hand perspective of what so many talks about. Build quality... ruggedness etc..

bigfoot

Enlightened
Bigfoot- how do you like your 85Tr?

I am really liking the 85-Tr, especially for EDC use. The ability to have red and white output in the same light is a big plus. I've thought about customizing the settings, but honestly, the default settings already seem well chosen. (Not to mention the instructions look a little complicated!)

Throw seems a little better than my Clicky, but I'm sure that's due to the different LED with the narrower beam. Weight is definitely lighter than the Clicky, making it more pocket-friendly. With the twist switch there's no concern about it accidentally turning on.

Overall, I give it an A+. :)

4347392464_3717772b66.jpg

blub

Enlightened
I've been holding off on the "Add to Cart" button too, as soon as I buy one I'm guessing something better will come out.:ohgeez: I wouldn't mind it if it was $30-$40 or so, but when you spend $180 + shipping it sorta hurts.

CLBME

Enlightened
Bigfoot thanks for the reply and thoughts. I saw your photo on the Twisty thread and I'm glad you posted it here. I really like that picture.

Blub- I understand what you're saying. Thanks for reply.

CLBME

Enlightened
A big thanks to Yucca Patrol who was kind enough to take a picture of his Twisty with its 18650 battery compartment for the thread. It's posted in the main section with the photos.:twothumbs

bigfoot

Enlightened
Thanks! One more for posterity... (Twisty 85-TR up top, EDC Executive on bottom).

4362829043_85bc9a390a.jpg

CLBME

Enlightened
Thanks for posting. Another great shot Bigfoot! I'm going to post a photo showing the Clicky clip as I mentioned it in the post, along with my lanyard attachments but I'd rather defer to one of your photos if you've got one showing the clip. Do you have one that shows the clip clearly?

bigfoot

Enlightened
CLBME, I'll take one shortly and try to get it uploaded. [Edit: Here it is...]

4363104751_c9c352992a.jpg

Last edited:

Darvis

Enlightened
Great post! I have a 85tr with another onthe way and a 140 EDC exec clicky on backorder, what really helped was the description of the clicky function being more like a mouse button vs a regular forward clicky. Super stoked to get it now.

CLBME

Enlightened
Hi Darvis, Thanks for the reply and congratulations on the pending EDCE! :thumbsup: I'm glad the post helped. The Twisty 85Tr is popular. It's a great light. Please post again when you receive your Clicky to let us know how you like it.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really thinking I may join the Ra family. Could anyone tell me what if any would be the visiual difference between a glass lense and a sapphire lense? I am already fully aware of the quality difference. Thanks!

Jason

CLBME

Enlightened
Hi Jason, I cannot tell you personally, but I found this link that may be of some help to you? There's an answer in the first post in terms of light transmission if that's what you're asking then Henry replies on the second page. I didn't read further. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/203100

Really thinking I may join the Ra family. Could anyone tell me what if any would be the visiual difference between a glass lense and a sapphire lense? I am already fully aware of the quality difference. Thanks!

Jason

Last edited: