Rain Rain Go Away

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Rained all day yesterday and today here in Jersey! 22 inches of water in my cellar and I've been pumping for a month! Only had water in my basement once in "91" and I've been here 50 years!

We have a farm and needless to say things are way behind.

I did love all the blizzards we had this year though! 59 inches of snow!

You obviously need more pumping capacity. I have two backup pumps if the main one is the cut-out basement foundation recess ever fails.

It's pretty funny driving around seeing all the pump hoses being run from homes out to the streets.

Alex K.

Newly Enlightened
Maryland is having some pretty weird weather. Mid 80's around Wednesday, rained on Thursday and 50's-60's on Friday and Saturday.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I thought this was a helpful editorial contribution in our local paper today from a volunteer firefighter:

Written by Ed Johnson (volunteer firefighter from Groton, CT)

"In reviewing the recent storm activity, many smaller basement pump-outs by fire departments could have been avoided had homeowners been proactive and protected themselves. In addition, fire departments had heavy backlogs and could not help everyone right away. Here are some suggestions for proection from floods and power outages:

• If possible, waterproof basement cement areas with sealant to retard water flow onto the basement floor.

• Install a proper 110V alternating current (110 VAC) submersible 75-100 GPM (gallons per minute) sump pump with float control into a deep hole --minimum of 2 feet--at the lowest floor point. Discharge to the street or nearest storm drain using at least a 1.5 inch dishcharge hose or pipe.

• Install a separate rechargeable battery backup sump pump that will operate for a few hours in the event of a power failure when people are not present. Discharge to the street or storm drain as above.

• Install a small, portable outside 3,000 watt gasoline or propane powered generator that you can start up to run the alternating current pump, and a refrigerator during extended power failures. Keep extension cord connections out of water and have everything readily available for quick hookup.

• Test all pumps and generators monthly, and practice a flood drill every 90 days.

• Add gutters and drainpipes to remove roof water farther away from the structure, preferably to a street drain.

• Try to place electrical appliances (washer drier, water heater, furnace) several inches off the basement floor to help avoid damage and "buy time" for people to take further corrective action."