Rather dissapointed by the E01

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry that's just the E01 with a lot of purple tint added with image software. :) I had to add a lot of purple to it to actually make it purple.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Thanks WadeF for providing them beamshots. I thought the second pic is the kinda beam most people were complaining about that was associated with their EO1. :) Now I want one.

Steve

Marduke

Flashaholic
For those of you in doubt, just pick up just about ANY 5mm light at your local WalMart or other favorite super store. However blue that beam is, the GS is almost sure to be less blue.

I don't get it, everyone complaining about the "purple" beam must have never owned a 5mm LED based light in the past. No one bitched when Nichia went from BS to CS, as it was a clear improvement. Why is everyone whining about going from CS to GS when it's once again an improvement?

Absolute worst case is the hotspot is about a blue as the CS, but the corona and spill is MUCH whiter. Perhaps that contrast within the beam makes it look worse (optical illusion), but it's at least as good or better in color than the CS it replaces.

Probedude

Enlightened
FWIW, I received my GS Fauxtons from DX late last week. Remembering that I read on CPF that the drive level is affecting the tint, I turned on the fauxton and found it too was quite purple.

That said, isn't there also info that these GS's don't last as long as the previous Nichia 5mm white led? (that the brightness drops off quickly?)

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
That said, isn't there also info that these GS's don't last as long as the previous Nichia 5mm white led? (that the brightness drops off quickly?)

This was brought up in the Arc subforum, I think I may have brought it up, and Peter from Arc (Arc is using the GS as well) claims it should last longer since the current is spread out over a larger die, or whatever. So I've heard the same as you, that it might not last as long, but Peter from Arc claims it should last just as long if not longer.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
For those of you in doubt, just pick up just about ANY 5mm light at your local WalMart or other favorite super store. However blue that beam is, the GS is almost sure to be less blue.

I don't get it, everyone complaining about the "purple" beam must have never owned a 5mm LED based light in the past. No one bitched when Nichia went from BS to CS, as it was a clear improvement. Why is everyone whining about going from CS to GS when it's once again an improvement?

Absolute worst case is the hotspot is about a blue as the CS, but the corona and spill is MUCH whiter. Perhaps that contrast within the beam makes it look worse (optical illusion), but it's at least as good or better in color than the CS it replaces.

That's the entire point of people complaining. The DS to GS WAS NOT AN IMPROVEMENT IN TINT. CS to DS was. DS to GS, WAS NOT.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Could it possibly be that in spite of the improvement in the Nichia emitter going from a CS to GS, that some people feel this a step backwards for Fenix to be making a light with this emitter. Regardless of its low cost, no other light that Fenix makes has an emitter this purple. Without reading the reviews here or studying the color charactistics of this LED, who would have expected this from Fenix, given the other lights they make? I believe that is why some people are disappointed.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Could it possibly be that in spite of the improvement in the Nichia emitter going from a CS to GS, that some people feel this a step backwards for Fenix to be making a light with this emitter. Regardless of its low cost, no other light that Fenix makes has an emitter this purple. Without reading the reviews here or studying the color charactistics of this LED, who would have expected this from Fenix, given the other lights they make? I believe that is why some people are disappointed.

I guess you never heard of the light which the E01 replaced, the E0 (which used a Nichia CS), which is MUCH bluer on average than the E01. The E01 even costs $5 less than the E0, and that $5 less somehow gets you a brighter, whiter light. Fancy that, an improved light AND cheaper.

But that's a step backwards eh??

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread appears to have been started for people to express their disappointment in the E01. Obviously, there is a small niche of persistent loyalists who will not stand for any negative comments about this flashlight. Perhaps they should open another thread about the positive qualities of their favorite flashlight and let others express their disappointment in peace. Thank you to those who pointed out the many shortcomings of this new, very hyped flashlight, you saved me $15. I, along with many others will never buy one because of their valuable input.
Too bad you'll be missing out.

White wall hunters should beware of this light.

When it's actually used, it's a fantastic light.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess you never heard of the light which the E01 replaced, the E0 (which used a Nichia CS), which is MUCH bluer on average than the E01.

No, I never did have an E0, nor would I imagine the majority of people purchasing the E01 today. Yes, LED's in lights of years ago were all bluer and the bluer E0 then might have been considered acceptable. But today blue/purple LED's are not the norm and people have every right to be disappointed with such an emitter that is not today's norm. Perhaps, I have been spoiled by better LED's in today's new lights. I have only been a flashaholic in recent years because of these better lights. Being new to the game and not a witness to the past, I can not be excited by just an improvement. I glad for you that you can. I hope you can understand why I can't. Even if you can't, I hope you allow me to have my opinion.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread appears to have been started for people to express their disappointment in the E01. Obviously, there is a small niche of persistent loyalists who will not stand for any negative comments about this flashlight
Yeah, because obviously all of us care enough about a flashlight to put it on a pedestal and idolize it all day long.

Thank you to those who pointed out the many shortcomings of this new, very hyped flashlight, you saved me $15. I, along with many others will never buy one because of their valuable input.
Because its beam isn't perfectly white?

What people are saying here is not that the E01 is the perfect keychain light. Nothing is perfect, and you can't reasonably expect a light that costs $15, when its closest competitor costs three times as much, to be perfect either.

Its chief problem, and the one which has caused me not to buy one, is its recessed LED, because I like/need flood and I don't like to waste light.

So I for one am not saying everybody should love the E01; I certainly don't. But recognize its qualities, and know its defects for what they are.

The recessed LED is an actual problem, one that can't help but decrease the usefulness of the light in any situation that isn't military duty, where lateral light is a big no-no (and then, military types are unlikely to get a E01 anyway).

A slightly tinted beam is only a problem when you're pointing the thing at the wall and scrutinizing its output.

It's night and you've blown a tire in a deserted road. Do you think you'd notice, or care, if your flashlight's beam is slightly bluish? Wouldn't it be much more important that it's helping you figure out where that damn bolt went?

Sure, a perfectly white beam would be good. And if this were a $50 light I wouldn't think a tinted beam would be as acceptable, because if I pay that much I want better quality all over, even if I might not actually have a need for it; it's a question of principle.

But at $15 for an effective (if somewhat flood-challenged) utility light, beam colour is pretty much irrelevant.

Marduke

Flashaholic
No, I never did have an E0, nor would I imagine the majority of people purchasing the E01 today. Yes, LED's in lights of years ago were all bluer and the bluer E0 then might have been considered acceptable. But today blue/purple LED's are not the norm and people have every right to be disappointed with such an emitter that is not today's norm. Perhaps, I have been spoiled by better LED's in today's new lights. I have only been a flashaholic in recent years because of these better lights. Being new to the game and not a witness to the past, I can not be excited by just an improvement. I glad for you that you can. I hope you can understand why I can't. Even if you can't, I hope you allow me to have my opinion.

Today blue 5mm's is not the norm?? Have you ever even used one other than the E01?? Pretty much all of them are bluer than the DS/GS. You say the GS is "bluer than the norm", but it's whiter than most 5mm's. It's superior to the "norm"

BTW, the E0 was an extremely popular light, sold right up until the E01 was released. Even if a CPF'er didn't own one, they almost surely owned some other light which used the same LED it did, the Nichia CS.

The GS may not be good enough for YOU, but it's ridiculous to say that it's not an improvement over the previous generation.

josean

Newly Enlightened
This thread seems to be centered on the led colour.

I am not dissapointed by the E01 colour. For me that is not a problem. The E01 is a keychain light, just to be used at home during the night, at a parking, or in some dark places where you need a bit of light. For me is not an issue if the light is a bit greenish / bluish / reddish or perfect white.

The problem is that I bought one light rated 10lm. Compared to other lights also rated 10lm that I have, the E01 puts out much less amount of light. This really dissapointed me!

The other problem is the quality. My light, after a month being on a keychain is almost as scratched as another light that has been for almost two years on a keychain. Are you sure this is type III anodyzing? If I buy a light to wear on a keychain, the light must have a hard surface to avoid being scratched in just several days.

The last problem is the new design of the hole to place a clip. This part of the light has sharp edges.

I bought this light to replace a two years old Fenix E1. The only advantages over the E1 are the price and the runtime. Right now, I prefer the old E1 over the new E01.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The GS may not be good enough for YOU, but it's ridiculous to say that it's not an improvement over the previous generation.

Marduke, you are absolutely right!. You have convinced me that the E01 is the greatest development in lighting since Thomas Edison's invention of the light bulb. Thank you for pointing out how ridiculous I was. You know, the more I look at this purple light, I have been convinced by you that maybe it isn't so purple at all. It is perfect!. How could I have been so wrong and have written such blasphemy? I will repent to you and to Fenix and order a dozen more of the E01s as my penence.

Marduke, I wish there were other wise, and sensitive people on this forum like you, who could so respectfully point out the errors of our ways and guide us out of the darkness as you have done. I personally need to thank you for setting me straight. I apologize that I so wrongly disagreed with anyone of your caliber and said anything negative about the E01. I promise I will never argue with you again. :shakehead

Marduke

Flashaholic
Marduke, you are absolutely right!. You have convinced me that the E01 is the greatest development in lighting since Thomas Edison's invention of the light bulb. Thank you for pointing out how ridiculous I was. You know, the more I look at this purple light, I have been convinced by you that maybe it isn't so purple at all. It is perfect!. How could I have been so wrong and have written such blasphemy? I will repent to you and to Fenix and order a dozen more of the E01s as my penence.

Marduke, I wish there were other wise, and sensitive people on this forum like you, who could so respectfully point out the errors of our ways and guide us out of the darkness as you have done. I personally need to thank you for setting me straight. I apologize that I so wrongly disagreed with anyone of your caliber and said anything negative about the E01. I promise I will never argue with you again. :shakehead

You totally are missing the point. You continually pop up in every E01 thread saying the tint is horrible. Horrible compared to what? Your unrealistic expectations and ignorance to what a 5mm LED is supposed to be?

It seems you are unable to realize that you bought a 5mm LED keychain light and apparently expected to receive some miraculous LED version of a Welch Allyn medical lamp with perfect color rendition.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I never did have an E0, nor would I imagine the majority of people purchasing the E01 today.

That's kind of an ignorant statement. How would you know how many E01 owners had an E0 or not? I ordered a E0 not long before the E01's came out. While it has a blue tint I found it to be a neat little light. When I heard the E01's were coming with the GS and many other improvement, for a lower price, I was excited (as were other E0 owners, etc) to get them. Also keep in mind Arc's, which have been highly regarded on these forums for many years, use the same Nichia LED's. The Arc BS, Arc CS, Arc DS, Arc GS, etc. People wear these lights around their necks, on their keychains, etc. They use their Arc on a daily basis, all with the same LED's Fenix has been using in their E0 and E01 series.

So with the Nichia GS being the latest and greatest and Arc using it in their $50 Premium Arc GS, what is so odd to you about Fenix using it in their $15 E01?

It's fine if you don't like it, THAT IS FINE. It doesn't do what you want, and you have found something better, that's great. However, you don't stop there, you keep scolding Fenix, or pointing out how they shouldn't have made such a light in the first place. ?!?!? Some of us love what Fenix did with the E01! They put together and amazing, high quality light for $15. It does a great job for what it is intended to do. Mine was giving me enough light to see by after 40 hours of operation on a single akaline AAA.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure, a perfectly white beam would be good. And if this were a $50 light I wouldn't think a tinted beam would be as acceptable, because if I pay that much I want better quality all over, even if I might not actually have a need for it; it's a question of principle.

I paid $50 plus shipping for my Arc GS which has the exact same emitter and tint as my E01's, it's just a little brighter. So where are all the "I'm disappointed with my Arc GS!" topics complaining about how purple it is? I think that's why some of us are scratching our heads because the Arc GS is $50 and most of the complaints about the E01 would also hold true for the Arc GS, but Fenix is only asking $15 for their "purple" beam flashlight while Arc is asking $50 for their "purple" beam flashlight.

warriorz

Newly Enlightened
sooooo.....how come the first batch came with a nice white tint? and now people are recieving these blue lights?

i knew it would have a blueish tint when i ordered, which is why i got it blue in color, but why did poeple get white tinted ones when they were released?

its ok when used properly, but not good for wall watchers as other have also said.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
..The problem is that I bought one light rated 10lm. Compared to other lights also rated 10lm that I have, the E01 puts out much less amount of light. This really dissapointed me!
Sorry you had this experience. I have both the E0 and the E01, and the E01 is clearly brighter than the E0.